Old 04-09-2021, 12:34 AM   #1
tjw1979
Human being with feelings

Default Amiga Eyes - Stars (indie/pop)

Hi all

Here is a song I did for my indie pop project Amiga Eyes

Darran Smith (funeral for a friend) contributed some nice guitar lines to the song.

It was released today via the usual streaming services.

I hope you all enjoy

https://linktr.ee/amigaeyes
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:34 PM   #2
Frazerturk

I like your tune a lot man. There is definitely something sort of 80's and "Amigaish" about the vibe and the words resonate with me a lot. Cool!.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazerturk View Post
I like your tune a lot man. There is definitely something sort of 80's and "Amigaish" about the vibe and the words resonate with me a lot. Cool!.
Thanks a lot FT that means a lot.

I am from that era, when Amigas and Atari STs were the posh computers of the day, though I was a zx spectrum and commodore 64 fanboy at the time I thought the name encapsulated that era well.

I don't normally write music of this type, but I was in a real dark place when I wrote this and the music and words just came out as one.

Lyrically I am talking to myself and also to my daughter and also to everyone who is going through a difficult time in life. The message is ultimately that we can get through the hard times. I think the whole world has had a real difficult couple of years and it's sort of about that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment. It means a great deal.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
Frazerturk

You're welcome

I feel those lyrics these days and have similar lyrical reactions to the struggles in my own life so I have an appreciation and understanding for the process.

Also, Pontypridd looks like a very cool little place, I've never heard of it and after googling it love the vibe there. Apparently you have a very famous bridge lol (for good reason, the design is very cool). We don't have the sort of VERY old buildings you have in Europe/UK here in Canada so it always fills me with wonder seeing them.

Looking forward to hearing what comes next from you.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #5
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazerturk View Post
You're welcome

I feel those lyrics these days and have similar lyrical reactions to the struggles in my own life so I have an appreciation and understanding for the process.

Also, Pontypridd looks like a very cool little place, I've never heard of it and after googling it love the vibe there. Apparently you have a very famous bridge lol (for good reason, the design is very cool). We don't have the sort of VERY old buildings you have in Europe/UK here in Canada so it always fills me with wonder seeing them.

Looking forward to hearing what comes next from you.

Fair play FT you sound like a lovely person. Not only have you connected to my lyrics and listened to my song you have taken the time to look up my hometown! We should get a collaborative effort together I have a similar work flow to you. Studio drummer and organic instruments.

Yes Pontypridd is a little town in the valleys of South Wales. It's a basically a post industrial former mining town from the boom of the industrial revolution when we pretty much fueled it with our rich coal seams and mines. It's also the birthplace of the Welsh national anthem and Tom Jones birthplace haha. The bridge you mentioned is known locally as the old bridge, I grew up a street away from it.

On the flip side I would love to go to Canada! I am a huge Neil Young fan!! When I was a child my parents contemplated emigrating to Quebec.

Nice talking to you man. I am yet to start a follow up track to stars although I have lots of ideas bubbling away under the surface.

There are a few acoustic tracks on my SoundCloud (abalone, reflections) if you wanted to check those out. Careful though they are bookended by my recent very noisey and angry solo punk/metal outbursts

www.soundcloud.com/timjwilliams/abalone
Old 04-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
Frazerturk

I love your punk stuff and love the idea of standing up for the town in which I live. That's a sentiment that doesn't need musical genres.

I can totally hear the Neil Young in you within the first strum of guitar on Abalone. I've always loved him solo, in CSNY and in Buffalo Springfield. All those groups have had big impacts on me musically.

I'd be into working on something together. Not sure how that process works as I'm usually (and used to) doing everything myself. My email is frazer turk @ protonmail . com hit me up there and we can figure that idea out!

Thanks again for sharing your song with us.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
BenK-msx

well, if you're Welsh and mention amiga's, i'm going to bite!

i trackered on octamed for many a year in Cardiff.. nice one butt. left it behind a bit, but i do still have my 1200 lying around can't find the power supply to try it tho..

i see this is a departure from your 'norm' - very 'Berlin' for sure but still it's own thing.

a various mishmash of old n newer on https://www.youtube.com/c/BenKolb
was all ready to complete the pivot to vocal/music turoring when lockdowns said 'no'- getting back into it now theres some easing.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:38 PM   #8
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
well, if you're Welsh and mention amiga's, i'm going to bite!

i trackered on octamed for many a year in Cardiff.. nice one butt. left it behind a bit, but i do still have my 1200 lying around can't find the power supply to try it tho..

i see this is a departure from your 'norm' - very 'Berlin' for sure but still it's own thing.

a various mishmash of old n newer on https://www.youtube.com/c/BenKolb
was all ready to complete the pivot to vocal/music turoring when lockdowns said 'no'- getting back into it now theres some easing.
Nice to talk to you butt! A fellow Welshman, always good to meet other country men on here!

Ah that's cool about your Amiga man! You should definitely get a new power supply for it and get back onto it

Something brilliant about those old computers and it pangs of nostalgia from days gone by for me and that's a great thing

Excellent about the vocal and guitar training! I have a lot of respect for people who can make their passions pay the bills! I certainly can't haha, I work in Cardiff as an optical fibre jointer, something I have 0 interest in unfortunately. I would love to do a job in was passionate about!!

I'll subscribe to your YT channel now so I can keep track on your uploads, cheers!!

And yes that song is very Berlin as you said and completely different to my normal output. Definitely going to put together a follow up as I really enjoyed doing something so different.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
BenK-msx

Nah you're the Sensible chap doing a trade, skill 4 bills! Lockdown decided my plan was against the rules so having to now persuade the scared people to come & do stuff indoors again, no zoom nonsense here.. cheers - will keep eye out for your stuff, if need an ear am easily found.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #10
tjw1979

Quote:
Nah you're the Sensible chap doing a trade, skill 4 bills! Lockdown decided my plan was against the rules so having to now persuade the scared people to come & do stuff indoors again, no zoom nonsense here.. cheers - will keep eye out for your stuff, if need an ear am easily found.
I hope that things pick up for you man now that lockdown is easing somewhat and you can get to where you need to be!! It should pick up for you but by bit from here what with the vaccine rollout etc.

And thanks I appreciate it!

Tim
Old 04-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
left it behind a bit, but i do still have my 1200 lying around can't find the power supply to try it tho..
Know the feeling too well! I sold all my Amiga stuff off when my A&H GS semi auto desk finally died, including my two Fostex eight track hard disk machines. I still miss the Amiga horribly, but it just wasn`t practical to use it AND a PC at the time....

FWIW I think I still have the most recent version of Bars n Pipes Pro lying around here somewhere if you ever buy a power supply....
Old 04-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #12
BenK-msx

cheers Tim btw..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Know the feeling too well! I sold all my Amiga stuff off when my A&H GS semi auto desk finally died, including my two Fostex eight track hard disk machines. I still miss the Amiga horribly, but it just wasn`t practical to use it AND a PC at the time....

FWIW I think I still have the most recent version of Bars n Pipes Pro lying around here somewhere if you ever buy a power supply....
i tried a demo of b&p once & ran away.. octamed for me

ah well, getting them to work today is a bit of a chore i think, especially if something is bust.

i think a raspberry pi 4 with pimiga or something like that is a good compromise these days - literally every amiga game & app, running well.. some folk stick them in amiga cases.. rabbit hole!

old units working or not seem to go for quite a bit on ebay, surprisingly.

sometime give myself fake limitations on stuff today as if i only have 4-8 tracks or polyphony, as those boundaries help with learning i think & avoid
'add a track-itus'

pimiga - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bMuwEzFj0

Last edited by BenK-msx; 04-12-2021 at 02:19 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:24 AM   #13
ivansc

Quote:
cheers Tim btw..

i tried a demo of b&p once & ran away.. octamed for me

i think a raspberry pi 4 with pimiga or something like that is a good compromise these days - literally every amiga game & app, running well..

pimiga - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bMuwEzFj0
Interesting My daughter`s partner is a raspberry pi fan - I might see if I can convince him to sort me one out!

BPP was and still is light years ahead of Octomed unless you were into loops. BPP was what finally led me to Reaper, whose MIDI implementation at the time was practically useless.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:40 AM   #14
BenK-msx

Hold on Neddy..
B&p was midi schmiddy
Med was Audio.. & rarely loop based except for a drum loop or looping a sound so short it became a long sound.. by default 4 bars looped but when arranging that went away. & recall that any loop had to fit tempo wise by altering it's pitch so nothing was in tune with each other like in easy peazy midi world.

I mean I am literally shaking, physically offended you'd call this epic "loop-
based!!"
no timestretchy, call up a synth, auto Ableton'ing going on, just programmed the fudge out of it..

https://youtu.be/jSSPHYssEyQ

However am tempted to grab a pi400 at some point, less wires n crap.

Anyway, shan't muddy Tim's tune thread.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 04-13-2021 at 05:50 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:53 AM   #15
ivansc

Quote:
Hold on Neddy..
B&p was midi schmiddy
Med was Audio.. & rarely loop based except for a drum loop or looping a sound so short it became a long sound.. by default 4 bars looped but when arranging that went away. & recall that any loop had to fit tempo wise by altering it's pitch so nothing was in tune with each other like in easy peazy midi world.

based!!"
no timestretchy, call up a synth, auto Ableton'ing going on, just programmed the fudge out of it..

a pair of sad old Amiga Gits, arent we? Seems like the Pimiga is mostly aimed at gamesters, so I am investigating further...
Sorry about all the OT posts, The Rest Of You.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:29 AM   #16
tjw1979

Quote:
Hold on Neddy..
B&p was midi schmiddy

based!!"

It's fine lads the kettle's always on in this thread

Pull up a seat and reminisce that's the point of my project's name, iconic kit of cultural significance from our era!
Old 04-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #17
BenK-msx

Quote:
a pair of sad old Amiga Gits, arent we? Seems like the Pimiga is mostly aimed at gamesters, so I am investigating further...
Hah A little!
I did see a vid where utils/apps were working on pimiga so pretty sure music apps could work & most were bundled,
may have to try it on my pi4 if I find a big enough microsd card. it's currently used for remote desktoping to my main machine.

I mean why can't reaper just read the floppies directly.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #18
ivansc

I actually PAID for BPP in about 1988 & ran it till I got back to the UK in 1995. Just missed a Pi4B at a good price on ebay but I am persevering....
Old 04-19-2021, 06:09 AM   #19
sai'ke

Came for the Amiga, stayed for the tune

Nice tune. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on what it is. The sound is quite nostalgic.

I'm too young to have really enjoyed OctaMED in its heyday. I got my first jams done on FT2
Old 04-21-2021, 12:38 AM   #20
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
Came for the Amiga, stayed for the tune

Nice tune. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on what it is. The sound is quite nostalgic.

I'm too young to have really enjoyed OctaMED in its heyday. I got my first jams done on FT2
Thanks man!! I appreciate the listen and comment

Tim
Old 04-22-2021, 12:12 AM   #21
Hypex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1979 View Post
Hi all

Here is a song I did for my indie pop project Amiga Eyes

Thanks for sharing. A nice soft number with a good message in an otherwise noisy world. I noticed your post when you put Stars in my Amiga eyes. ;-)

Also I'd like to share with some Amiga groups if you don't mind.

Last edited by Hypex; 04-22-2021 at 12:35 AM.
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:57 AM   #22
Hypex

Quote:

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you'll have to add me to the list of Amiga Gits here. And just to embarrass myself further, yes I do have a Github account, but joining to be a git wasn't intentional. :-)

But, OT? What do you mean? Amiga is in the subject! :-D

Speaking of... ;-)

Did you know Bars & Pipes was bought out by Microsoft? Because there was something in it they wanted for Windows is my vague recall. Then they released the source code for free. Doesn't make sense to me to buy a product out then release the source. You've just given away what you bought it for! Maybe a weird Microsoft way of buying people out, as if an old Amiga program was some threat. That would be like hiring a spy for thousands of dollars to gather secret intel then release the info for free. Or a major music artist selling the entire rights to one song to someone for a lumpy sum of cash, who then posted the source code to the whole song on the internet for free! The backing tracks is what I call the source code to a song. ;-)

I also used SuperJAM which seemed like a poor mans version, but didn't need midi to produce sound. I thought it was cool at the time. And had some polyphonic ability to do things like play 16 sounds at once which was awesome. I suspect from the output that it used some kind of optimised method to mix channels like premixed instruments.

I used OctaMED back in the day and also now and then for a play. Coming from ProTracker. I even recently tried exporting a song from my own module colection to import into Reaper. Suppose it was fun muting tracks in an attempt to render them stem tracks. Gee that was a really dirty 8-bit sampled off tape guitar. Haha.

Did anyone use the PC version that was more developed? Yeah didn't take off like it did on The Real Thing. The MED source was bought out by this AEON Amiga software company which intended to produce a new Amiga version but lacked a programmer to finish it. Having the PC source would have helped.

My most favourite tracker would be Symphonie even though I didn't do much with it. It was the first tracker I used where the songs sounded real. That is like a proper techno CD and not that weird tracker sound. It had mixing for more channels like OctaMED SoundStudio but the songs sounded more professional and it had FX on top more like a DAW that was applied to the master out. A song called Endless Dream became a firm favoutite.

Did someone say time strreetttccchhhiiiinnnngggg? Oops stretched that a bit far sorry. I recall this being big in the early 90's. And this Amiga program did it! Audio Master.

This leads the way to the most well known Amiga DAW. Audio Evolution. Many sequencers, sample editors and possibly multi-track sample editors in between but Audio Evolution was one of the last around. I found it strange to use coming from MED. For example in MED the FX was applied per instrument and some like an echo had to be programmed in by hand. Like is done in Reaper in Audio Evolution FX were added to the whole track itself. I had to email the author because I couldn't figure out how to ad FX to only part of a track! Didn't work that way and didn't have items like Reaper to do it independently. As an added bonus, the author ported Audio Evolution to the usual suspects since he wanted to add VST support, and it had reached it's climax on the Amiga. In time he made a mobile version, and here it really took off. Kudos to him.

As usual, I digress, slightly. Didn't mean to tell [some] of my Amiga [music] story. But on that note, Audio Evolution lead me into Reaper. I reached the limitations of Audio Evolution. It only had one tempo and no concept of decimal amounts making it unsuitable for real music. Had no transient ability so clicking on down beats had to be done manually 90's style. And with only a few FX on a track it was too limiting for me. But, the dual delay FX was the best stereo delay I've ever heard! When I found Reaper, and how easy that tab to transient was, it sealed the deal! :-P
Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #23
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
Thanks for sharing. A nice soft number with a good message in an otherwise noisy world. I noticed your post when you put Stars in my Amiga eyes. ;-)

Also I'd like to share with some Amiga groups if you don't mind.

Thankyou man. You are so right, it's a very noisy world right now. The track is all about cutting that away and reconnecting with quieter times, times gone by, times of fond nostalgia from our childhoods. And also with a message of love and support, even through all of our mistakes, mental health battles and other woes. We are all made of stars and deserve love, guidance and not to be so hard on each other or ourselves.

And of course, share as much as you would like. It really is a message for everyone
Old 04-23-2021, 04:44 AM   #24
Hypex

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1979 View Post
Thankyou man. You are so right, it's a very noisy world right now. The track is all about cutting that away and reconnecting with quieter times, times gone by, times of fond nostalgia from our childhoods. And also with a message of love and support, even through all of our mistakes, mental health battles and other woes. We are all made of stars and deserve love, guidance and not to be so hard on each other or ourselves.

And of course, share as much as you would like. It really is a message for everyone

Cheers. Couldn't have said it better myself. Nicely summed up description of your song.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #25
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
.... bought out by Microsoft? Because there was something in it they wanted for Windows is my vague recall. Then they released the source code for free. Doesn't make sense to me to buy a product out then release the source. You've just given away what you bought it for! Maybe a weird Microsoft way of buying people out, as if an old Amiga program was some threat. That would be like hiring a spy for thousands of dollars to gather secret intel then release the info for free. Or a major music artist selling the entire rights to one song to someone for a lumpy sum of cash, who then posted the source code to the whole song on the internet for free! The backing tracks is what I call the source code to a song. ;-)

This leads the way to the most well known Amiga DAW. Audio Evolution. Many sequencers, sample editors and possibly multi-track sample editors in between but Audio Evolution was one of the last around. I found it strange to use coming from MED. For example in MED the FX was applied per instrument and some like an echo had to be programmed in by hand. Like is done in Reaper in Audio Evolution FX were added to the whole track itself. I had to email the author because I couldn't figure out how to ad FX to only part of a track! Didn't work that way and didn't have items like Reaper to do it independently. As an added bonus, the author ported Audio Evolution to the usual suspects since he wanted to add VST support, and it had reached it's climax on the Amiga. In time he made a mobile version, and here it really took off. Kudos to him.
MS bought out The Bakers so they could hire the two of them to work on DirectX, not because they wanted BPP.

I briefly struggled with that lovely german guy`s PC version of BPP, but by then I was using a PC & bought Cakewalk 9.

Never heard of audio evolution so now I will have to go and explore!

FWIW I wonder if I could try THAT out on a PiMiga as well???
I think I still have the original BPP user guide and a couple of chips fpr assorted versions of AmigaOS....
Old 05-04-2021, 02:16 AM   #26
Hypex

Quote:
MS bought out The Bakers so they could hire the two of them to work on DirectX, not because they wanted BPP.

I briefly struggled with that lovely german guy`s PC version of BPP, but by then I was using a PC & bought Cakewalk 9.

Ah, that makes more sense. Well, I suppose they didn't need open source it, but it's nice they did. I'm sure I downloaded it but didn't try compiling it.

I didn't know there was a PC version. I read somewhere that Madonna used it, which was implied to be the Amiga version, but couldn't confirm it. Apparently Debbie Harry was given an Amiga as well, which she was said to give away, so look like she didn't need a computer to make music even though her music was sounding computerised a few years after.

Quote:
Never heard of audio evolution so now I will have to go and explore!

FWIW I wonder if I could try THAT out on a PiMiga as well???
I think I still have the original BPP user guide and a couple of chips fpr assorted versions of AmigaOS....

I suppose it depends on when you exited the scene. I never really stopped using Amigas. There is some stuff in the link down here. But it focuses on OS4/PPC. I forget exactly when it came out but it would be around 20 years ago. It started off as some kind of AHI sound player, called PlayHD or something, then evolved into a DAW.

PiMiga should be fine. On my A1200/030@40Mhz, AE could play two 16-bit stereo tracks in realtime, using AHI. .

The last version was better but only available for OS4/PPC.

https://amigaos.net/software-type/1/music
Old 05-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #27
ivansc

Bugger! I had a far more powerful accelerator than that in MY A1200. If only I had known! Ah well - side tracked away from PiMiga right now but I will be getting a Pi and giving it a go!
Old 05-11-2021, 01:53 AM   #28
bulevardi

Approved! It's my cup of tea.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:36 PM   #29
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulevardi View Post
Approved! It's my cup of tea.

Thankyou Bulevardi!!