Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #1
Tim Rideout
Human being with feelings

Default Is Reaper a BUST in the post-audio dept? EDL, XML, AAF etc workflow from FCP

Hi all,

Two years after I started this thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1766874

and after 2 seasons of importing from FCP for use in Reaper, I can tell you that it has been a major pain-in-the-arse of a hassle receiving media from my editors who use Final Cut Pro, and importing that media into Reaper via EDL, XML and/or AAF.

My workflow is such that I receive the picture locked version of an episode, along with the music Temp Track that the editor and director have put together. based on that edit, I compose my score.

There are no tools that I have tried that offer a clear-cut solution to get an integral version of THEIR timeline onto MY timeline.

AATranslator works - but only if you have a limited directory structure (you can't use very long file names or the program doesn't convert and/or truncates the file names). I find the conversion from an AAF or EDL or XML to be tenuous at best - various paramaters appear to have gone "rogue" and I get multiple dual-mono-split media, volume and pan envelopes al lover the place etc. Whether that is AAT's conversion algorithms or the editor's export variables is anyone's guess.

So, basically, using AAT, I can import - but only with major work-arounds and clean-up afterwards.

The other solution I have seen is VORDIO:
http://vordio.net/convert/

But according to their website, it requires installation and a separate conversion on the client side - which is not something I am even willing to consider. (The site does not detail if you can just export an XML file from FCP if you already have the media on your end).

So there you go - is Reaper a total BUST in the post audio department?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rideout View Post
The other solution I have seen is VORDIO:
http://vordio.net/convert/

But according to their website, it requires installation and a separate conversion on the client side - which is not something I am even willing to consider. (The site does not detail if you can just export an XML file from FCP if you already have the media on your end).

So there you go - is Reaper a total BUST in the post audio department?
Plenty of people use the FCPX remote workflow. You'll find that FCPX editors are also more willing to try other methods and tools because FCPX doesn't even export AAFs or OMFs (an FCPX project cannot be represented in AAF anyway as it is an object metadata based format, not a track based format). So they are used to using 3rd party tools. For instance to get sound to Protools they mostly use an app called X2Pro to create an AAF. Note these AAFs are unlikely to work with anything except PT as they don't test against other apps that import AAFs like Nuendo. AAFs are notoriously quirky.

However the NLE side cooperation is only required if you need camera audio in the edit (because that needs to be converted to WAVs so requires access to the media drive). However, if all your location audio is separate you can relink in reaper after and don't need that part.

http://vordio.net/remote-workflow/

There's also the advantage in using XML that if you need to deal with edit changes Vordio can reorganise your reaper project to fit a revised XML in seconds.

Of course a lot depends on how friendly the NLE editor is. Plenty of FCPX users and Premiere users seem happy using XML, once they recognise that it has some advatnages.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 10-16-2018 at 08:09 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rideout View Post
AATranslator works - but only if you have a limited directory structure (you can't use very long file names or the program doesn't convert and/or truncates the file names). I find the conversion from an AAF or EDL or XML to be tenuous at best - various paramaters appear to have gone "rogue" and I get multiple dual-mono-split media, volume and pan envelopes al lover the place etc. Whether that is AAT's conversion algorithms or the editor's export variables is anyone's guess.

So, basically, using AAT, I can import - but only with major work-arounds and clean-up afterwards.
While AATranslator doesn't handle paths/names longer than 256 characters you shouldn't be experiencing any of these other issues.
Other than our last contact in July 2017 regarding path length have you contacted me about this?

info@aatranslator.com.au
I would be very interested to receive an AAF (or other) which is causing you grief so that we can get this sorted asap