Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #1
Dough
Human being with feelings

Default question on monitoring / usb

I'm new to this forum and while I'm not new to recording, I do have a new combination I was trying out - Behringer Q802 usb into a PC that has Reaper on it. Windows 64 bit, waveout for preference

Anyways, I just did some simple vocal multi-tracking to get started and I notice that as I overdub, I either a) only hear myself live through the head-phones, or b) can't hear the backing tracks, just hearing what I've recorded. I 've tried several permutations and checked the settings on reaper - particularly recording monitoring, which is in the on position.

I'm pretty sure that it's a quirk of the Behringer - but any assistance on that and/or recommendations, much obliged. Thanks!

Thanks much
Dough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
mschnell

Re the Q802 I found:

Quote:
- Not possible to change gain (volume level) for USB input sound on the mixer. Only main mix knob can set volume.
- No way to forward USB input sound to "2-Track output". USB music is only leaded to main mix and phones/control output.
- No clear documentation on "USB/2-Track" switches. There are no schemes/figures of connections between inpunt/output in different switch positions. I had to try all possible options and draw my own sketches of how everything is connected and which knob (phones, main mix) regulates which volume level depending on switches.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
Dough

Default monitoring/behringer

thanks. So ultimately, as I feared, the Behringer is simply too limited for basic use - although it was recommended to me. what is the best inexpensive usb mixer? any tips?
Dough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
mschnell

As I wanted to replace as well an outdated analog mixer as the outdated ADAT audio A/D D/A equipment I got a Behringer XR18, and am very happy with same. But this of course is a very different beast.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
As I wanted to replace as well an outdated analog mixer as the outdated ADAT audio A/D D/A equipment I got a Behringer XR18, and am very happy with same. But this of course is a very different beast.

-Michael
I am on my second Behringer mixer and quite happy with it. The first one I had for 12 years and it was still working fine when I sold it to buy the second one.

I also had one of their ultra-cheep UCA202 USB audio interfaces

https://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-U-C.../dp/B000KW2YEI

that I used with a netbook and REAPER to record my band live. It was surprisingly low latency, and sounded great when using it with a pair of Neumann TLM103 mics.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote