Old 01-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #1
Fergler
Human being with feelings

Default M1 Mac thread

Reaper is unfortunately not there yet for M1 use. I am getting stutters all the time with any task switching like switching desktops, changing apps with apple+tab, and getting onscreen notifications. I have flashing yellow transport enabled to warn of dropouts and I get them all the time, when adding plugins, using synths to a mere fraction of their full capability in voices, etc.

The only thing I'll miss is these blazing fast render speeds, but it's not worth it to me anymore, since I primarily use Reaper for live jamming and looping.

Other DAWs are working more smoothly but... they're other DAWs. I can't do nearly half the stuff my live looper setup in Reaper has with MIDI routing, CC Mapper X, MIDI performer, etc.

It was fun for a while but too many performance hiccups, I just don't trust this machine anymore. Also, it's not all that much faster at basic computing stuff like Safari, and many apps even though they say they're M1 optimised simply run slower than the equivalent on my 11 year old Dell Intel laptop and 8 year old intel MacBook Pro.

Just reporting my 2 cents, hope others have had a better experience.

Last edited by Fergler; 02-22-2023 at 06:19 PM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #2
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
many apps even though they say they're M1 optimised simply run slower than the equivalent on my 11 year old Dell Intel laptop and 8 year old intel MacBook Pro.
Which ones?
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #3
hulkss

Not my experience at all. REAPER runs fantastic on my M1 Mac mini. I do open REAPER using Rosetta for compatibility with VST3 plugins that are not for Apple Silicon. I get better performance than with any other VST host that I have tried.

I'm using "Loopback" from Rogue Amoeba to route core audio.
hulkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:42 PM   #4
scottwaltonvo

I'm a voice actor and relatively unschooled when it comes to Mac and Reaper but have had an M1 Mini with 16g memory for a year now. It has worked really well with just a few issues or glitches here and there. It has even run Waves and Izotope plugins with hardly any problem.

I installed 6.46 today and now I have all kinds of pops and stutters in my recordings. How do you open Reaper in Rosetta? Will that help my problem? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a VO project due and need to fix this problem.
scottwaltonvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
daverich

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwaltonvo View Post
I'm a voice actor and relatively unschooled when it comes to Mac and Reaper but have had an M1 Mini with 16g memory for a year now. It has worked really well with just a few issues or glitches here and there. It has even run Waves and Izotope plugins with hardly any problem.

I installed 6.46 today and now I have all kinds of pops and stutters in my recordings. How do you open Reaper in Rosetta? Will that help my problem? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a VO project due and need to fix this problem.
Did you make sure to install the one for M1? it's the 2nd on the download list.
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwaltonvo View Post

Find REAPER.app in Finder, select it and hit Cmd+i then click "Open in Rosetta"
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #7
scottwaltonvo

Default Got it thank you!

Thanks so much! I got it and now everything works great! Even my Waves VST plugins. I appreciate the help.
scottwaltonvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #8
nepenthe

Reaper is super solid for me on an M1 Pro (not running in Rosetta). It sucks that you're having these issues. What sort of troubleshooting have you tried?
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:01 AM   #9
P. WALLACE

I'm also struggling with new M1 MBP. Trying to find some answers here, but I'm coming up empty handed.
P. WALLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:48 PM   #10
Fergler

Things improved a lot for me since
Can you describe what's going on exactly?
Old 01-26-2023, 01:34 AM   #11
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. WALLACE View Post
I'm also struggling with new M1 MBP. Trying to find some answers here, but I'm coming up empty handed.
Are you using an aggregate device?
Old 01-26-2023, 10:28 AM   #12
P. WALLACE

Quote:
Things improved a lot for me since
Can you describe what's going on exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Are you using an aggregate device?
Every so often... Reaper sputters where the clock flashes red, audio drops out, and it looses it's position/timing.

The performance meter only shows at most 11% CPU usage.

I have maybe 5 or 6 project tabs open at a time.

Some plugins like U-He Diva 2 or Addictive Drums 2 will show much higher PDC.

No aggregate device.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:01 PM   #13
mlprod

Quote:
Every so often... Reaper sputters where the clock flashes red, audio drops out, and it looses it's position/timing.

The performance meter only shows at most 11% CPU usage.

I have maybe 5 or 6 project tabs open at a time.

Some plugins like U-He Diva 2 or Addictive Drums 2 will show much higher PDC.

No aggregate device.
Then I would suggest rogue plugins or bad device drivers. The M1 platform + Repaer (at least native M1) is working great.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #14
P. WALLACE

Quote:
Then I would suggest rogue plugins or bad device drivers. The M1 platform + Repaer (at least native M1) is working great.
I'll see if I can narrow it down to a non-cockos/JS plugins.

The only external device I use is an RME fireface ucx ii (with the latest firmware) and I have Novation AFX station hooked up via USB for midi control. I think it's usb is class compliant tho... I'll see what happens if I disconnect it.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can chase down rogue plugins.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:17 AM   #15
mlprod

Quote:
I'll see if I can narrow it down to a non-cockos/JS plugins.

The only external device I use is an RME fireface ucx ii (with the latest firmware) and I have Novation AFX station hooked up via USB for midi control. I think it's usb is class compliant tho... I'll see what happens if I disconnect it.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can chase down rogue plugins.
What are your buffer settings?
Old 01-30-2023, 01:17 PM   #16
P. WALLACE

Quote:
What are your buffer settings?
Defaults I think, see attachments.

What do you recommend?

I could have sworn that when I dragged a clip on my intel Mac it would autocross fade.. but M1 Mac it doesn't do it... either I can't find the settings to make it auto crossfade or I'm really really bad at this.

Man... also undo just doesn't work like it did on my intel Mac. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's really frustrating because its command+z... that's it yet I'm doing something wrong where it doesn't always work!

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 2.11.36 PM.jpg (143.8 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by P. WALLACE; 01-30-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:32 PM   #17
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I could have sworn that when I dragged a clip on my intel Mac it would autocross fade
Sounds like maybe you accidentally turned off autocrossfade? It's the lower left button on the toolbar, by default.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:46 PM   #18
P. WALLACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Sounds like maybe you accidentally turned off autocrossfade? It's the lower left button on the toolbar, by default.
That's what I thought but nope... doesn't work! I have time select and select the clips than hit x.... never had to do that before... I looked and looked for another setting somewhere but couldn't find it.

This basic stuff is driving me a little crazy.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:12 PM   #19
mlprod

Quote:
Defaults I think, see attachments.

What do you recommend?

I could have sworn that when I dragged a clip on my intel Mac it would autocross fade.. but M1 Mac it doesn't do it... either I can't find the settings to make it auto crossfade or I'm really really bad at this.

Man... also undo just doesn't work like it did on my intel Mac. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's really frustrating because its command+z... that's it yet I'm doing something wrong where it doesn't always work!

Thanks for your help!
Buffer setting look good. maybe try setting the live processing cores to 4 instead and see what happens.

I don't recognise those undo problems at all. Maybe you should email support at cockos dot com.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #20
P. WALLACE

Quote:
Buffer setting look good. maybe try setting the live processing cores to 4 instead and see what happens.

I don't recognise those undo problems at all. Maybe you should email support at cockos dot com.
I tried that, but to be honest... I think it maybe was RME total mix. Total mix was running at 44.1 and my project (and UCX) settings were 48khz. Not sure if that's what it was, but I haven't had a drop out since. I've also only have a couple projects open at once now.

Still can't figure out why command+z works intermittently. Drives me crazy.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:35 AM   #21
P. WALLACE

Default Additionally...

I think the Elektron Overbridge VSTi is the culprit. Haven't had it loaded any any of my 10 open projects and I haven't had a sputter since.

Still wish I could sort out my command+z/undo not working consistantly.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:09 PM   #22
mlprod

Quote:
I think the Elektron Overbridge VSTi is the culprit. Haven't had it loaded any any of my 10 open projects and I haven't had a sputter since.

Still wish I could sort out my command+z/undo not working consistantly.
Probably not it, but have you tried making cmd-z a global shortcut?
Old 02-07-2023, 02:10 PM   #23
skylar_battles

I was going to say try simply re-assiging it to the same thing if you haven't already.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:34 AM   #24
P. WALLACE

Quote:
try setting the live processing cores to 4 instead and see what happens.
This made the biggest difference I found. I traced my dropouts back to some CPU hungry plugs assigned to channels that were record enabled, changed it to 2 cores and haven't had a drop out since. I could probably just uncheck this altogether as I typically don't process my live inputs but I'll leave it for now in case I want to live process incoming audio in the future without having to remember why it doesn't if I uncheck it all together.

Big thanks for this tip!

Still trying to sort out command z.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:27 PM   #25
skylar_battles

Penalty worth another email to support. Did you try reassigning the action to same keystroke? Also are you sure that you just don’t have the stock undo settings which to me is super inconvenient?

Last edited by skylar_battles; 02-19-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:16 PM   #26
robgb

Quote:
Reaper is unfortunately not there yet for M1 use. I am getting stutters all the time with any task switching like switching desktops, changing apps with apple+tab, and getting onscreen notifications. I have flashing yellow transport enabled to warn of dropouts and I get them all the time, when adding plugins, using synths to a mere fraction of their full capability in voices, etc.

The only thing I'll miss is these blazing fast render speeds, but it's not worth it to me anymore, since I primarily use Reaper for live jamming and looping.

Other DAWs are working more smoothly but... they're other DAWs. I can't do nearly half the stuff my live looper setup in Reaper has with MIDI routing, CC Mapper X, MIDI performer, etc.

It was fun for a while but too many performance hiccups, I just don't trust this machine anymore. Also, it's not all that much faster at basic computing stuff like Safari, and many apps even though they say they're M1 optimised simply run slower than the equivalent on my 11 year old Dell Intel laptop and 8 year old intel MacBook Pro.

Just reporting my 2 cents, hope others have had a better experience.
I've been using Reaper on an M1 Macbook Air for months now and have no idea what you're talking about. Reaper is smooth as butter on my machine.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:49 AM   #27
P. WALLACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
I've been using Reaper on an M1 Macbook Air for months now and have no idea what you're talking about. Reaper is smooth as butter on my machine.
Not the same experience for everyone. Thanks for your helpful insight.
Old 02-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #28
P. WALLACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Penalty worth another email to support. Did you try reassigning the action to same keystroke? Also are you sure that you just don’t have the stock undo settings which to me is super inconvenient?
I reassigned command Z to undo in the actions menu... it was the default but I reassigned it anyways. However, under the recording alt actions list, it was not assigned so I assigned it to command z... I'm still evaluating because (for no discernable reason) sometimes it works and other times it does not.

Thank You!
Old 02-21-2023, 10:06 AM   #29
robgb

Quote:
Not the same experience for everyone. Thanks for your helpful insight.
You're right. It's not the same experience for everyone. Except with Macs, it far more often IS the same experience, because of the tight integration between software and hardware.

Thousands of people, like me, are using Reaper with M1 and having zero problems. So rather than blame M1 and going back to a soon to be completely obsolete Intel Mac, perhaps the OP should consider that the problem is neither Reaper nor the M1 and something else entirely.

The apps that are not running smoothly have possibly not been updated by the developer to run natively on M1, or the user has not updated his or her apps. If audio is stuttering, maybe your audio interface needs a firmware update.

I came from an Intel Mac to M1 and can tell you, without question, that M1 is far superior in terms of speed and RAM efficiency, and that Reaper runs better than it ever has.

So, clearly, my experience is different. But perhaps, as one contributor to this thread has apparently discovered, it's a matter of having the RIGHT version of Reaper, in the right mode, rather than taking the drastic step of going backwards in time.
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:00 AM   #30
P. WALLACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
You're right. It's not the same experience for everyone. Except with Macs, it far more often IS the same experience, because of the tight integration between software and hardware.

Thousands of people, like me, are using Reaper with M1 and having zero problems. So rather than blame M1 and going back to a soon to be completely obsolete Intel Mac, perhaps the OP should consider that the problem is neither Reaper nor the M1 and something else entirely.

The apps that are not running smoothly have possibly not been updated by the developer to run natively on M1, or the user has not updated his or her apps. If audio is stuttering, maybe your audio interface needs a firmware update.

I came from an Intel Mac to M1 and can tell you, without question, that M1 is far superior in terms of speed and RAM efficiency, and that Reaper runs better than it ever has.

So, clearly, my experience is different. But perhaps, as one contributor to this thread has apparently discovered, it's a matter of having the RIGHT version of Reaper, in the right mode, rather than taking the drastic step of going backwards in time.
I believe you, but it would be more helpful if you could tell us what you've done to make it perform so much better. mlprod advised changing buffer settings and live fx core count, which was very helpful and I think solved my problem. Do you have anything else to contribute other than a brag that your transition to apple silicon has been flawless?
Old 02-22-2023, 10:44 AM   #31
chip mcdonald

My M1 Mac Mini has gradually been going slower and slower, more and more beachballs.

But....

I have a pet theory that is completely unsubstantiated by scientific evidence:

drive controllers have a hard time once you've used close to half the capacity of a drive. When they have more than ~50% space free, they can shuffle things around, or put data where it can go as fast as possible.

Over half, and chunked up, they slow down. This has been my observation for decades; you get a New Fast Drive, and it works noticeably faster, then you forget about it.... but then one day you realize you're waiting when you weren't waiting before.

My Mini was getting beachballs constantly, but I moved out as much as I could from having just 15% free to now more like... ~40% free. Noticeably faster/less beachballs.

And with Thunderbolt 4 an external NVME M2 drive is nearly as fast as the internal storage. I'm not convinced there isn't something else afoot, and I'd like to reduce it further (I'm not as Mac savvy as I am Windows, that 15gb system and huuuuge "other" chunk I'm sure can be reduced a lot, somehow?), but mine had gotten to a point where it was almost unusable, I thought something was "broke".

TLDR: I think you need half of a drive empty to get full performance from the drive's controller, and I think that matters even more because of the M1 architecture.

/$.10
Old 02-22-2023, 05:53 PM   #32
skylar_battles

FWIW I think the command z is just because in settings you haven’t unchecked certain undo points so you have way more than are necessary which slows down if you have to undo multiple things.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:17 AM   #33
P. WALLACE

Quote:
FWIW I think the command z is just because in settings you haven’t unchecked certain undo points so you have way more than are necessary which slows down if you have to undo multiple things.
Thanks for your help!

This is what I have for undo settings, I believe these are the defaults, should I mess with the undo memory? I'm hesitant to uncheck those undo settings as I would want to undo actions from items, track, and envelope points. Also, undo just seemed to work on my intel machine (without any customization) so I'm baffled why I'd be changing these settings on a much better spec'd MBP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 7.05.09 AM.jpg (94.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-24-2023, 09:15 AM   #34
skylar_battles

The undo memory shouldn't be necessary to mess with. And if those were your past settings then they should behave the same. There has to be a reason
Old 02-24-2023, 11:37 AM   #35
P. WALLACE

Quote:
The undo memory shouldn't be necessary to mess with. And if those were your past settings then they should behave the same. There has to be a reason
Yeah, who knows? It seems like it was just "ghost in the machine" ...aside from not undoing a stretch marker movement today, command z seems to be working fine now and all I did was apply command z to undo in the actions menu under recording alt the other day. Everything seems to be working pretty ace now and I'm using quite a few cpu intense effects all over the place with no drop outs.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:33 PM   #36
skylar_battles

Glad to hear you’re having better results. Keep us updated on command Z. I wouldn’t think adding it where you did to alt recording actions would make a difference but maybe I’m wrong. Hopefully Justin can chime in.

Maybe true using a Bluetooth keyboard to see if it’s the actual keyboard?
Old 02-24-2023, 02:52 PM   #37
Fergler

Does this or any of the suggestions in the text help with your undo problem?

Old 02-25-2023, 02:29 PM   #38
skylar_battles

Default Helpful?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=275845
Old 09-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #39
mike1127

Default High memory usage on M2 mac

I got an M2 MacBook with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD a few months ago. I've noticed that for some of my projects Reaper is using 1.6 GB of RAM. (These projects include Altiverb 7, but nothing else that would load samples, instead all modeled instruments with what should be a low memory footprint). I created an empty project, saved it, and restarted Reaper. It used 825 MB of RAM.

This is a problem for me as I'm starting to run out of RAM ("memory pressure" increases past 50%) when I run other programs I need at the same time, like a browser and other apps. Dropbox takes 1 GB RAM, for instance. My software development apps, which I use with Reaper, take 2 to 3 GB. And then I wanted to run Voice Control and my laptop slowed to a crawl.
mike1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 12:07 AM   #40
mschnell

Interesting indeed !
I am considering using a Mac Mini for my project for live playing. Here I have lots of Kontakt instances with huge lots of samples waiting in muted tracks. Seemingly no problem with a modest PC. How would an M1/M2 mac cope with that ?
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote