Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 01-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #41
biopsin
Human being with feelings

Default [Q]

Great news,
to make this work does lilv, liblilv and it's dependensies need to be installed?
I only install in local like vst's; ~/.lv2 linked to ~/.local/lv2 is this working too?
Old 01-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #42
fsynth

Why do I have to be a work? LOL
Look forward to doing some testing of lv2's
fsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #43
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
Great news,
to make this work does lilv, liblilv and it's dependensies need to be installed?
I only install in local like vst's; ~/.lv2 linked to ~/.local/lv2 is this working too?
No I don't think so, I think REAPER handles it all by itself without any dependencies. I think any path will work as long as you configure it in REAPER. Please test and let us know!
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #44
PMan

@porzione: Yeah, Geonkick is a great drum synth. Looking Forward to using it nativly, without Carla!

I just downloaded today's build (6.21+dev0125) and none of the LV2 plugins (that I tested, there are tons in my LV2 folders) cause a crash! The Calf plugins don't crash. The TAL plugs don't crash. They only display the generic Reaper slider GUI but they don't crash! What a difference a day makes!

In other happy news, it looks like Razor Edit might be included in the next release. Razor edit functionality started as a script by the user sexan. Here is the thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219705

The devs decided to make it native, and it has showed up several times in an initial pre-release, but is then dropped in subsequent pre-releases. It has not made it to an actual release. Today's build is the third pre-release that includes it, I hope it makes it to the final release this time.

Good times in Reaperland!

Last edited by PMan; 01-25-2021 at 09:20 PM.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #45
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikobuntu View Post
I've tried this method using Audacity as the external Audio editor in Reaper, the only downfall is that we can't try for example a filter sweep in realtime within Audacity.

Note I do use Carla and Lv2vst when I really want to use a LV2 in Reaper or Bitwig etc.

Obviously native LV2 support would be a nice addition.
Yea live filter sweeps etc are not good in real time... How about using Samplematic for sweeps... or you mean throwing it on the Master track? - Heck I have a few OTHER editors and works fine with me... last year I put up Reaper Win and Reaper Linux on the Modicea OS (2 DAWS running on 1 screen 1 os) and it worked fast for tracking - I could instantly flip flop from windows reaper to linux and back and export exchange wav files etc... but there is no Win plug in that I am yearing for or need. tc
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #46
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
So far I've had success with the x42, Zam, and the DISTRHO plugins. Most of those seem to work, but the Calf plugs instantly vaporize REAPER.
The Calf plugins use gtk as far as I know which means they will probably have compatibility problems with Reaper.

The same goes for older Guitarix lv2 plugins, before they changed from gtk to X11.

X11 based lv2's should be ok.

Lv2 plugins can use various display libraries and gtk is one of them.

The actual display libraries the lv2 is using can be found in the lv2 text files somewhere.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:06 AM   #47
wastee

NICE!!!!

Thank you @Jack Winter info about LV2.

-------------------------

Will Windows/Macos REAPER support LV2 plugins?

There's very new project build LV2 Cross-Platform:

https://github.com/DISTRHO/PawPaw

Last edited by wastee; 01-26-2021 at 02:31 AM.
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:09 AM   #48
Jack Winter

FWIW, allegedly the Calf plugins aren't very good quality, and they are responsible for 90% of the crash reports in Ardour.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 01-26-2021, 02:11 AM   #49
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastee View Post
Will Windows/Macos REAPER support LV2 plugins?
Yes it should be available for all platforms.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:34 AM   #50
JamesPeters

I tried the Calf plugins since they now work without the GUIs. For similar functionality, I prefer to use some Linux VST and JS plugins that I already have.

As for that Harrison Drum Character plugin: it seems I'd need Mixbus and then I'd have to buy that plugin. Meh. I'll just use dynamic EQ.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 01-26-2021 at 06:54 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:47 AM   #51
Jack Winter

I think the Harrison plugins come as demos with Mixbus and also get downloaded and installed when building Ardour. They are demos, not sure how functional they are, but they do need a paid license to unlock. I didn't find a way of downloading them directly from Harrison except for by using the link that Ardour uses during the build process.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:11 AM   #52
sub26nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I think the Harrison plugins come as demos with Mixbus and also get downloaded and installed when building Ardour. They are demos, not sure how functional they are, but they do need a paid license to unlock. I didn't find a way of downloading them directly from Harrison except for by using the link that Ardour uses during the build process.
Yes, Harrison's lv2 come with Mixbus (regular or 32C) or Ardour (from ardour.org, not with distributions packages). To install them, you can download Mixbus demo, install it, then move the Harrison plugins (here in /opt/Mixbus X.X.X/lib/LV2) to your lv2 folder (usr/lib/lv2). Plugins from Harrison come in demo version if you don't have buy licences, but they work with generic GUI from Daws, if you use Harrison GUI, it works only few minutes, then freeze, you have to close the GUI and re-open it.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #53
swindus

Just install Ardour/Mixbus and point to the LV2 directory of Ardour/Mixbus in the Reaper preferences (/opt/Ardour/lib/LV2) and rescan the plugins in Reaper.

I own licenses for the plugins and they work great in Reaper!

Last edited by swindus; 01-27-2021 at 08:40 AM.
swindus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:20 AM   #54
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The Calf plugins use gtk as far as I know which means they will probably have compatibility problems with Reaper.

The same goes for older Guitarix lv2 plugins, before they changed from gtk to X11.

X11 based lv2's should be ok.

Lv2 plugins can use various display libraries and gtk is one of them.

The actual display libraries the lv2 is using can be found in the lv2 text files somewhere.
Is the GTK issue specifically with REAPER?

If I open a Calf plugin in Carla, running as a plugin to REAPER, the GUI displays as it should, so whatever is needed to make it work seems to be present on my machine.

Last edited by Glennbo; 02-27-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #55
osxmidi

Quote:
Is the GTK issue specifically with REAPER?

If I open a Calf plugin in Carla, running as a plugin to REAPER, the GUI displays as it should, so whatever is needed to make it work seems to be present on my machine.

Any gtk based plugin whether it's vst or lv2 can possibly clash with Reaper.

The lsp plugins used to be gtk and wouldn't work with Reaper but the programmer changed the lsp plugins to X11 and now they are ok with Reaper, a similar thing happened with the Guitarix lv2 plugins.

gtk is not really recommended for plugin development because of possible clashes with daws.

The Calf plugins are still gtk as far as I know.

I think Carla has it's own display process so it can get around the gtk problem.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:41 PM   #56
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
Any gtk based plugin whether it's vst or lv2 can possibly clash with Reaper.

The lsp plugins used to be gtk and wouldn't work with Reaper but the programmer changed the lsp plugins to X11 and now they are ok with Reaper, a similar thing happened with the Guitarix lv2 plugins.

gtk is not really recommended for plugin development because of possible clashes with daws.

The Calf plugins are still gtk as far as I know.

I think Carla has it's own display process so it can get around the gtk problem.
Thanks for the explanation. I've never tried any of the Calf plugins until now, because I really don't want to have plugins being hosted in Carla.

Some of the Calf plugins appear to be real useful stuff, but without a GUI to visually monitor what they are doing, they are much less useful to me. Besides just hearing it, I want to see how hard a compressor is hitting, or how much signal I'm sending it so I don't overdo it.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:18 AM   #57
jjcale_guitar

I can recommend Rakarakk lv2 versions here: https://github.com/ssj71/rkrlv2/releases/tag/beta_3

You'll have to compile yourself but that's fun!

In the above package there are a ton of lv2 plugins and I haven't tested them all yet. But most seem to work fine in this new Reaper (6.21) version. So far I've tested Stompbox, Infinity, Cab, Amp, Reverb, Delay. I really liked stompbox and together with Amp and Cab sim I could get several different guitar sounds that really worked! And only 2,5-3% CPU.

The GUI:s are the standard JS grey ones, so estethics are not that great. But for me the guitar sound is number one and Rakarakk delivers (for me anyway).

PS. Someone said that good looking plugins sounds better. I really don't know...................

BIG EDIT: Found this just now https://github.com/Stazed/rakarrack-plus

I will try it out, only the LV2 plugins from it since the code is newer.

EDIT No2: The Rakarakk-plus lv2 plugins work fine! Haven't tested all , they're too many of them. You don't have to compile the whole Rakarakk, just the vl2 plugs and use then directly in Reaper. Anyone compiling?

Last edited by jjcale_guitar; 01-29-2021 at 04:12 AM.
jjcale_guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:45 AM   #58
Jack Winter

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I've never tried any of the Calf plugins until now, because I really don't want to have plugins being hosted in Carla.

Some of the Calf plugins appear to be real useful stuff, but without a GUI to visually monitor what they are doing, they are much less useful to me. Besides just hearing it, I want to see how hard a compressor is hitting, or how much signal I'm sending it so I don't overdo it.
I've heard that they present many problems, crashes, zip noise, NANs, etc. But if you really want to try them then you can load them in carla (vst), it can host plugins in a rack, and does work and show a GUI with calf.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:00 PM   #59
Glennbo

Quote:
I've heard that they present many problems, crashes, zip noise, NANs, etc. But if you really want to try them then you can load them in carla (vst), it can host plugins in a rack, and does work and show a GUI with calf.
Carla was what I had the Calf plugin running in for that screenshot, but I don't really want to be hosting plugins in Carla. I installed the Calf plugins primarily to check out the new LV2 support in REAPER.

It was after loading one in the latest test version of REAPER, which now loads Calf plugins, but non-GUI that I realized without a GUI they would mostly be useless for me. Even the antique DBX160 unit I used to own had three LEDs to indicate above and below the threshold along with a big VU meter to show gain reduction.

Without any metering functionality, most of the Calf plugins will be less useful than similar JS plugins, which do sport meters.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #60
Jack Winter

In fact I just rescanned my lv2 plugins and carla appears to also work in lv2 format.

I can see that you don't want to host them like that.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #61
Jack Winter

FWIW, all my lv2 plugs (500+) seem to scan and the vast majority of them appear to work.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #62
Glennbo

Quote:
FWIW, all my lv2 plugs (500+) seem to scan and the vast majority of them appear to work.
I'm still in the acquiring phase and only have installed LV2 plugin from Synaptic so far.

But, excluding Calf plugins I still have 134 other LV2 plugins to go through, and most of those seem to work.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #63
elcalen

The vast majority of LV2 plugins that are of interest to me and readily available (stuff like the distrho ports, lsp etc) usually also have VST versions that I already use, so I haven't really delved into LV2s very deeply yet... I have no idea if there's anything to gain in favouring LV2s over VSTs (other than the satisfaction of using a more open standard, of course)?

The one exception maybe is the x42 meter collection, it has some neat stuff like VU and LUFS meters that I haven't really found a good native alternative for. However, the x42 meters still have some weird GUI issues (which has been pointed out in the LV2 thread in the pre-release forum)...
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #64
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcalen View Post
The vast majority of LV2 plugins that are of interest to me and readily available (stuff like the distrho ports, lsp etc) usually also have VST versions that I already use, so I haven't really delved into LV2s very deeply yet... I have no idea if there's anything to gain in favouring LV2s over VSTs (other than the satisfaction of using a more open standard, of course)?

The one exception maybe is the x42 meter collection, it has some neat stuff like VU and LUFS meters that I haven't really found a good native alternative for. However, the x42 meters still have some weird GUI issues (which has been pointed out in the LV2 thread in the pre-release forum)...
I just tried v6.21+dev0128, and those plugins are still opening a non-gui panel that must stay open for the meter plugins to function.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #65
ufug

Quote:
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your efforts, even if some plugins don't end up working. I've been getting deep into Reaper lately but I didn't realize how heavily dependent I had become on the lv2s I've been using for years in Ardour and Mixbus (I guess I finally understand why Windows folks are so bummed if they can't run their old VSTs on Linux). Bridges are OK but they are a real drag for the less tech-y Linux users like me. THANK YOU THANK YOU. Where do I send the coffee??
ufug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:33 PM   #66
Jack Winter

Thanks, send it to Justin!

Last edited by Jack Winter; 01-29-2021 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:06 AM   #67
shosty

It's such a shame that Calf are so problematic in seemingly every host. They are really good looking and there are some gems in there, they are seen as THE plugin pack for new linux users (something akin to Waves perhaps) but they have always caused so many issues in Ardour. I know I've lost lots of hours of work due to them causing some weird random crash which Ardour was unable to recover from.

Has there not been any interest in porting them away from GTK? I would have imagined that there would be quite a few people wanting to devote time to it.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:28 AM   #68
porzione

There is no LV2 in rc builds, so don't expect it in the next 6.22 release?
porzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:11 AM   #69
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by porzione View Post
There is no LV2 in rc builds, so don't expect it in the next 6.22 release?
I'm not surprised, considering how new this is. I expect it'll take a while to mature enough to be in the stable build. (I'll be using dev builds for the foreseeable future anyway... at least until razor edit is finally stable... )
Old 02-04-2021, 04:19 AM   #70
porzione

Quote:
I'm not surprised, considering how new this is. I expect it'll take a while to mature enough to be in the stable build. (I'll be using dev builds for the foreseeable future anyway... at least until razor edit is finally stable... )
Linux builds are still experimental and will probably always be, why to not include LV2 branch
In fact Reaper is very stable in Arch, I build the package from every dev build and in case if someone is interesting https://github.com/porzione/arch-rea.../main/PKGBUILD
porzione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:30 AM   #71
elcalen

LV2 is not just Linux, though. (Even if it is by far the most popular on Linux.)
Old 02-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #72
windeguy

Default LV2's - another user that would like them

Glad to see LV2 plugins are at least being looked into for the Linux version of reaper. I am another user that would like to use them.

I just purchased my Reaper license today after trying it out for 2 months. Onward and upward. Even with LV2's!
windeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:21 PM   #73
Mikobuntu

The DEVs are really doing a great job of implementing native LV2 support, I can see it going into the stable builds soon IMO.

I really think that Reaper can drop the 'Experimental Build' flag soon as Reaper is actually more stable on Linux than most or all DAWs that I have used over the years.

Renoise is the only other DAW that comes close to Reaper for stability on Linux and that's my experience compared with using Ardour, Bitwig ( Bitwig is actually quite stable for me except for hacky MIDI controllers [ the scripts are workarounds to hack settings generally ] that lose connection sometimes randomly ).

Tracktion/Waveform [ it's getting close with the bug fix build ].

Zrythm ( still in alpa or early beta ).

LMMS ( LV2 is being implemented in the master bulds ] and is quite stable, but lacks key features.

Heck FL Studio is really stable on Linux running in W.I.N.E obviously and has been known to be more realtime safe using the wineasio driver compared to the same machine running it on windows , there are a few flaws obviously, but wine devs do patch these things.

Anyway my 2 cents aside I think Reaper adding LV2 support will be really good for the company!
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #74
PMan

Things are looking good!

I just checked the pre-release thread, and the latest release candidate includes LV2 support!

Woo Hoo!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:13 AM   #75
elcalen

Hrm, but afaik they still haven't fixed the issue with x42 Meter Collection GUIs... Which is the set of LV2 plugins I was personally most hoping to make use of...
Old 03-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #76
PMS67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Is it really stable? p.e. with CALF plugs?
I've never used "Lv2vst" extensively, but in my limited experience it seems to work well... at least with some plugins. Problem is, all plugins which use GTK for their UIs (such as the Calf suite, eq10q suite, and more) will not show their UIs. Only the basic, standard UI provided by the DAW is available. Thus most of such plugins becomes practically unusable (or at least very unpractical).

Unfortunately, the exact same problem happens also with the newly added native LV2 support in Reaper 6.24.

I hope that Cockos will be able to find out a way to solve also this problem with GTK plugin (at least, on Linux... I guess it would not matter so much on other platforms).
“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
PMS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #77
PMS67

Quote:
Hrm, but afaik they still haven't fixed the issue with x42 Meter Collection GUIs... Which is the set of LV2 plugins I was personally most hoping to make use of...
What kind of issue? I've briefly tried almost all x42 plugins as soon as 6.24 have been released, and they seemed to be working just fine here (on Linux Mint 20 ~= Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).
“If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.”
PMS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #78
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMS67 View Post
What kind of issue? I've briefly tried almost all x42 plugins as soon as 6.24 have been released, and they seemed to be working just fine here (on Linux Mint 20 ~= Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).
The x42 Meter Collection plugins are designed to be unembeddable, to ensure the most accurate display possible. A side effect of this is that if you open one of them in an FX chain window, it'll pop up an additional floating GUI window, rather than showing the GUI in the FX window. Apparently there's nothing that can really be done about this on Reaper's end, it's just the way those plugins are designed. It's not really a dealbreaker issue, just an occasional minor annoyance, when multiple windows pop up instead of one.

(There's one or two other minor related issues that I've mentioned in the LV2 thread on the prerelease subforum. Nothing that should prevent using the plugins though, just minor inconveniences...)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #79
s wave

You know I do like many of the calf plugins (there is so many) I just load them in AUDACITY - then use AUDACITY as a second EDITOR - it give fast smooth access to CALF if you like them -(the only buggy plugs are are 1 or 2 of the EQs that I do not use anyway) (I have never had them crash in ARDOUR either - but I make sure a use a good PRE 5.0 Ardour version that fits my hardware.) tc
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #80
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
You know I do like many of the calf plugins (there is so many) I just load them in AUDACITY - then use AUDACITY as a second EDITOR - it give fast smooth access to CALF if you like them -(the only buggy plugs are are 1 or 2 of the EQs that I do not use anyway) (I have never had them crash in ARDOUR either - but I make sure a use a good PRE 5.0 Ardour version that fits my hardware.) tc
The Calf plugins will function and draw their GTK graphics properly if you use Carla Rack to host them inside REAPER. I very much like the ring modulator, and a few others in that suite of LV2 plugins.

I wish someone could compile them to use whatever is compatible with REAPER's implementation of LV2 support for Linux. Either that or have REAPER support GTK however Carla, Audacity, and Ardour are doing it.