Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #41
storyteller
Human being with feelings

The BIG update for OTR v2.1 is finally here... and it is MASSIVE. There are nearly 200 new scripts and actions. OTR 2.1 includes new icons, new themes, new track templates, new workflow tools, new menubar items, new BOME integration, VEPro integration, new keyboard shortcuts, and more. You get the idea.

I went ahead and put the updated zip file on www.orchestraltemplateforreaper.com. Videos are coming this week! I promise. Working on them as we speak. There are a number of new features that will definitely benefit from video tutorials.

In the meantime, take a look at the updated manual. It is much more robust, coming in at 70 pages now - almost triple what it was.

So here is a rundown of the updates for those that want to dive into it before the videos are posted:

========================================
=====Minor Updates for OTRv2 since release=====
===(these were stealth updates to the download)===
========================================
- bug fixes with the color palette
- bug fixes with Reaticulate Editor Track Icons and Color Boxes populating correctly
- included the MMC Locate JS plugin
- updated VEPRO/UVI non-reaticulate templates
- added OPUS templates

============================
===Update Log for OTRv2_1===
============================'
- The OTR 2 manual has grown tremendously! Lots of new stuff added.
- OTR Preferences Button will run an updated for version 2.1 (required for full BOME and VEPro functionality)
--All v2.1 Project Templates now default to 23.976 FPS for project video settings rather than 30 FPS. If you use another format in your region, please change this option under Project Settings for each project/project template and resave accordingly.
- adjusted the Midi CC Default for Middle C to C3 instead of C4. This does not affect anything other than how the keyboard is represented in the MIDI view editor.
- toggled the "MIDI reset CC" options off in Preferences>Audio>Playback to better accomodate for Reaticulate
- 160 new core scripts + New Actions largely focused on VEPro and BOME inegration
- adjusted the default chase CCs for Reaticulate in reabank.lua to: "1,2,3,9,11-31,64-69,85-90,102-117,119"
- Added a Default MIDI View Designer in the Midi Editor (see the updated MIDI toolbar)
- In the Midi Editor, keys 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 are now shortcuts for Midi Views 1-10.
- Up to ten MIDI views can be saved from within the Midi Editor
- The MIDI Editor comes with Ten Preconfigured Views
- All New VEPro Assignment Menu (Right click in the track view. Note: This does not physically change the actual VEPRO server, but serves as a way to visually change the track icon)
- VEPRO Icons added...Generic and Per Servers 1-16
- VEPro Bome Midi Integration
- Two Bome Midi Projects included (a basic version and an advanced version)
- Two New Themes
- Updated OTR Preferences Script so that hybrid OTR1/OTR2 templates are handled better
- Pre-configured VEPro Enabled/Disabled CC Blocks, as well as a preconfigured CC Reset Block and markers
- Updated Project Templates for OTR v2.1
- updated VEPro Track Templates now have new VEPro Track Icons
- Included Vepro Project file (.vep64) to demonstrate how OTR can interact with disabling/enabling a VEPro instance with CC118
- The Activate shortcut (option+a) has been modified to UNMUTE the track and UNMUTE ALL SENDS on the track. Be aware of this change.
- Added New Toggle Script: Toggle VI-C All Tracks & Children Visibility (In Uniformity). This toggles the visibility of all VI-C and children tracks together, rather than on a case-by-case basis per VI-C
- Added New Visibility Toggle Scripts:
- Toggle VI-C Tracks & Children Visibility For Stem Group 01
- Toggle VI-C Tracks & Children Visibility For Stem Group 02
- Toggle VI-C Tracks & Children Visibility For Stem Group 03
- Toggle VI-C Tracks & Children Visibility For Stem Group 04
- Toggle VI-C Tracks & Children Visibility For Stem Group 05
- Toggle VI-C Tracks & Children Visibility For Stem Group 06
- Toggle VI-C Tracks & Children Visibility For Stem Group 07
- Toggle VI-C Tracks & Children Visibility For Stem Group 08
- added keyboard shortcuts for all VI-C Visibility Toggles. These are intended to triggered from a midi translator such as BOME, but will function as expected. The toggles are:
- Command+Option+Control+1 = Toggle VI-C 01
- Command+Option+Control+2 = Toggle VI-C 02
- Command+Option+Control+3 = Toggle VI-C 03
- Command+Option+Control+4 = Toggle VI-C 04
- Command+Option+Control+5 = Toggle VI-C 05
- Command+Option+Control+6 = Toggle VI-C 06
- Command+Option+Control+7 = Toggle VI-C 07
- Command+Option+Control+8 = Toggle VI-C 08
- Command+Option+Control+9 = Toggle VI-C 09
- Command+Option+Control+0 = Toggle VI-C 10
- Command+Option+Control+q = Toggle VI-C 11
- Command+Option+Control+w = Toggle VI-C 12
- Command+Option+Control+e = Toggle VI-C 13
- Command+Option+Control+r = Toggle VI-C 14
- Command+Option+Control+t = Toggle VI-C 15
- Command+Option+Control+y = Toggle VI-C 16
- Command+Option+Control+u = Toggle VI-C 17
- Command+Option+Control+i = Toggle VI-C 18
- Command+Option+Control+o = Toggle VI-C 19
- Command+Option+Control+p = Toggle VI-C 20
- Command+Option+Control+a = Toggle VI-C 21
- Command+Option+Control+s = Toggle VI-C 22
- Command+Option+Control+d = Toggle VI-C 23
- Command+Option+Control+f = Toggle VI-C 24
- Command+Option+Control+g = Toggle VI-C 25
- Command+Option+Control+h = Toggle VI-C 26
- Command+Option+Control+j = Toggle VI-C 27
- Command+Option+Control+k = Toggle VI-C 28
- Command+Option+Control+l = Toggle VI-C 29
- Command+Option+Control+z = Toggle VI-C 30
- Command+Option+Control+x = Toggle VI-C 31
- Command+Option+Control+c = Toggle VI-C 32
- Command+Option+Control+` = Toggle ALL VI-Cs and Children Tracks
- Command+Option+Control+Shift+1 = Toggle Stem Group 01 Visibility
- Command+Option+Control+Shift+2 = Toggle Stem Group 02 Visibility
- Command+Option+Control+Shift+3 = Toggle Stem Group 03 Visibility
- Command+Option+Control+Shift+4 = Toggle Stem Group 04 Visibility
- Command+Option+Control+Shift+5 = Toggle Stem Group 05 Visibility
- Command+Option+Control+Shift+6 = Toggle Stem Group 06 Visibility
- Command+Option+Control+Shift+7 = Toggle Stem Group 07 Visibility
- Command+Option+Control+Shift+8 = Toggle Stem Group 08 Visibility
- New scripts with New shortcuts
- Option-Shift+A = Special Activate Track.... This takes the VEPro Status into consideration and does not Force the track to activate a disabled VEPro instance via BOME
- Option-Shift+D = Special Deactivate Track.... This takes the VEPro Status into consideration and does not Force the track to disable a VEPro instance via BOME
- Option+X = Super Deactivate: Similar to normal Deactivate Track, but also mutes the track and mutes the sends. This helps decrease CPU usage.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++
++++++++BOME INTEGRATION SHORTCUTS (and how they work)++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++
A Modifier key has been added to existing shortcuts to toggle the VEPro Instance into a Disabled state.
-----------------------
Normal Shortcut:
Option+D = Deactivate track. This will currently deactivate the plugins ONLY.

With Bome Integration:
Option+Control+D = Deactivate Track AND DISABLE INSTANCE ON VEPro Server
-----------------------
Normal Shortcut:
Option+A = Activate track. This will currently activate the plugins ONLY.

With Bome Integration:
Option+Control+A = Activate Track WITH VEPRO INSTANCE DISABLED
-----------------------
Normal Shortcut:
Option+F = Freeze Instrument on Track. This will currently activate the plugins ONLY.

With Bome Integration:
Option+Control+F = Freeze Instrument on Track WITH VEPRO INSTANCE DISABLED
-----------------------
Normal Shortcut:
Option+Shift+F = Freeze All Plugins on Track. This will currently activate the plugins ONLY.

With Bome Integration:
Option+Control+Shift+F = Freeze All Plugins on Track WITH VEPRO INSTANCE DISABLED
-----------------------
Option+X = Super Deactivate: Similar to normal Deactivate Track, but also mutes the track and mutes the sends. This helps decrease CPU usage. This will currently activate the plugins ONLY.

With Bome Integration:
Option+Control+X = Super Deactivate Track WITH VEPRO INSTANCE DISABLED
-----------------------

Notes: If Bome is activated with the OTR Project file that is properly set up with your devices, then OTR shortcuts should operate as discussed above.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++Revised Shortcuts:++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
- Option+X is no longer used to toggle Reaper Auto Crossfades. It is now used for Super Deactivate
- Option+C is no longer used to toggle the Big Clock View. It now is used to Toggle Reaper Auto Crossfades
- C is no longer used to toggle on/off the SWS Console. C is used to toggle ON/OFF the Big Clock.
- Removed Marker keyboard shortcuts to not interfere with new Midi Editor View shortcuts
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #42
norbury brook

wow, that's some great work there.

Kudos to you for doing this.

I am going to investigate this further as it's a whole new paradigm from when I last did orchestral things with reaper may years ago.

Is this all OK to run with a new M1 ARM mac?

M
Old 11-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #43
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
wow, that's some great work there.

Kudos to you for doing this.

I am going to investigate this further as it's a whole new paradigm from when I last did orchestral things with reaper may years ago.

Is this all OK to run with a new M1 ARM mac?

M
Thank you! Hope it works for you. Feel free to contact me at support@storyteller.im as you get going with it. Overall OTR should work fine as long as you are running Reaper's build for ARM and that you make sure to install the SWS plugins for ARM. The default OTR download is configured for X64 builds.

(That is probably an important note I need to put in the manual come to think of it). Good question!
Old 11-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #44
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Thank you! Hope it works for you. Feel free to contact me at support@storyteller.im as you get going with it. Overall OTR should work fine as long as you are running Reaper's build for ARM and that you make sure to install the SWS plugins for ARM. The default OTR download is configured for X64 builds.

(That is probably an important note I need to put in the manual come to think of it). Good question!
I know that some ARM builds of plugins are now NOT working with the Monterey update !!! that's a real kick in the pants for the devs who got on the case and ported quickly.

I'm on the fence at the moment about ordering a new Macbook pro so I'll download your OTR on my man windows DAW to test.

Once again thank you for your work, If it works for me I'll definitely contribute via paypal.

M
Old 11-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #45
storyteller

Quote:
I know that some ARM builds of plugins are now NOT working with the Monterey update !!! that's a real kick in the pants for the devs who got on the case and ported quickly.

I'm on the fence at the moment about ordering a new Macbook pro so I'll download your OTR on my man windows DAW to test.

Once again thank you for your work, If it works for me I'll definitely contribute via paypal.

M
No problem! Btw - I just checked the OTR 2 project file. It looks like I originally had the foresight to add the ARM SWS extension earlier this year when OTR 2 was launched. So all you will need to do for any macOS installation is make sure you download the appropriate version of Reaper you want to use (e.g. 32-bit, 64-bit, Big Sur, Catalina, ARM chips, etc). The Windows version is ready to work out of the box without any problems.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #46
storyteller

Default New Videos for OTR 2.1

New Videos for OTR 2.1 have just been posted. The main OTR website (www.orchestraltemplateforreaper.com) has been updated as well.

The New Midi Lane View Customizer
Explore OTR's new Midi Lane View Customizer in Reaper's MIDI Editor window.
https://youtu.be/aDQZslatMcs

A Look At OTR 2.1 Themes and Customization
Check out the new themes included in OTR 2.1 and learn how custom theming works for use in OTR.
https://youtu.be/LVoEROFm5xg

A Deep Dive Into The Reaticulate Editor
In this video, we take a deep dive into the Reaticulate Editor and learn how to setup custom articulation banks for use within OTR.
https://youtu.be/VXw1iQrGFbo

Updating OTR Projects to Version 2.1
This video demonstrates how to quickly update your OTR 1.x and 2.0 projects and templates to make full use of the new features within OTR 2.1.
https://youtu.be/TgIAXtDICZs

Setting Up Bome With OTR
In this video we explore how to set up Bome MIDI Translator Pro (www.bome.com) for use with OTR.
https://youtu.be/ev2RthLx3zw

Preparing Existing VEPro Projectes For Use With OTR and Bome
In this video we explore how to prepare your exitings Vienna Ensemble Pro (www.vsl.co.at) projects for use with OTR and Bome MIDI Translator Pro.
https://youtu.be/ZiKQLqQoEaw

Understanding How VEPro Is Integrated With OTR
Take a deep dive in learning how Vienna Ensemble Pro (www.vsl.co.at) is setup and integrates with the OTR workflow.
https://youtu.be/uquLVItavJU

Understanding The New VEPro Change Server Menu & Features
Take a look at OTR's new visual icons and Change Server Menu for Vienna Ensemble Pro (www.vsl.co.at).
https://youtu.be/wIOMRNarIS0

How To Setup VEPro To Work Best With OTR And Bome
In this video, explore how to best setup your Vienna Ensemble Pro (www.vsl.co.at) projects and instances from scratch to work best with OTR and Bome MIDI Translator Pro (www.bome.com).
https://youtu.be/jPr2y3GGfCQ

How VEPro + Bome + OTR Are Tied Together
This video specifically looks at how Vienna Ensemble Pro, OTR, and Bome MIDI Translator work together once properly setup and integrated.
https://youtu.be/7gYXnC7WMtw

Last edited by storyteller; 11-08-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:50 AM   #47
Roland-Music

Thanks for the great new Videos
I don't really understand the necessity of Bome? Is there no other way in OTR/Reaper to send this two MIDI CC (81, 118) to VEPro?
Roland-Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:26 AM   #48
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland-Music View Post
Thanks for the great new Videos
I don't really understand the necessity of Bome? Is there no other way in OTR/Reaper to send this two MIDI CC (81, 118) to VEPro?
There are a few things that BOME adds. The first is the ability to catch a CC value on a controller, decide whether to send the cc value to the daw or not, and then to invoke a keyboard shortcut. This is not something that Reaper can do natively. An example is moving a fader assigned to CC118 while on a VEPro track. When CC118 = 127 or 1, it will not only toggle the VEPro disabled status, but it will invoke a keyboard shortcut that performs the proper action in OTR/Reaper to assign the correct icons and set the state of the track. Without bome, you could enable/disable vepro, but not trigger the visual updates to the track, nor trigger the state (disabled, frozen, active, etc) without performing another action manually.

The second is that bome can catch a keyboard shortcut (such as activate) and then trigger a value from CC118 to be sent to vepro as well as triggering any additional actions in reaper tha need to be run via keyboard shortcuts.

As for CC81… I assume you mean how I have it linked to trigger a toggle all tracks visually in my template. Bome isn’t necessarily required for that. That toggle shortcut has been around since v1. I just linked it to CC81 in my workflow with v2.

If you mean CC80 and how I have it linked to trigger additional cc values on my icon platform m+… then yes, Bome is required for that. With Bome, I can essentially add another layer of CC values for knobs by pressing down on the button and moving the knob about. This doesn’t affect OTR/reaper workflow. I just included that example in the Advanced Bome template to demonstrate other things that are possible with Bome.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:23 PM   #49
Umbra

Default Reverb and virtual hall

First of all, I'd like to thank for the template, clearly it's a huge effort to develop. As a hobbyst I felt a bit owerwhelmed at first, but I think it's a good opportunity to learn the professional workflow.

I have couple of questions to author and other template users.

1. Somehow Kontakt tends to invade my template in random places.
I was populating template with the Kontakt libraries I own - inserting tracks using template Kontakt 16 midi to OTR mapped outs. At one point I noticed that I somehow got Kontakt with the same config as I had in dedicated VST track on my MIDI track. After adding couple other VSTs by the same template I found other instances of Kontakt in random MIDI, VI-OUT tracks and one even somehow made it into Recording FX of it's own VST, blocking MIDI input to VST. I will try to figure out how to reproduce...

2. There is no way to permanently hide some tracks from track manager while keeping them in Mixer and vice-versa only manipulate visibility with buttons in toolbar simulatneously on both, right?

3. Is there an instruction or video available, how to use "Virtual hall" properly?
I'm using Audio Imperia libs. I presume instead of stereo mix within the Kontakt instrument I can make enable and send out signals from all mics and then mix in Reaper rather than in Kontakt?
How do I apply additional reverb? Should I send the tracks I need to FX: OTR Strings(Whatever) Verb 1/2 myself?

4. Any advice how to support Sketching->Detailing->Mixing workflow?
I tend to sketch with ensemles and then split everyting into sections.

I really want to keep it simple when playing with ideas for track and gradually introduce more complexity, if that makes sence.

5. Also how should I manage Kontakt instances and their states during workflow?
For now I'm dropping ensembles and sections instruments in one instance of Kontakt (say, strings ensemble, preorchestrated octaves and then sections) and then purging samples on sections 'till (if) I use them. Is that the way to go or I should rather preapare separate Kontakt instances and disable them?

6. Finally, maybe off-topic, but still - does anyone has good technology to handle Audio Imperia "sample start"? Ideally I would want to switch the instrument to Tight while recording and to 250ms delay when recording is off? Maybe you could direct me to good recepies?

Thanks again for the great template!
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #50
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
First of all, I'd like to thank for the template, clearly it's a huge effort to develop. As a hobbyst I felt a bit owerwhelmed at first, but I think it's a good opportunity to learn the professional workflow.

I have couple of questions to author and other template users.
I'll try to answer the questions as best as I can below. Thanks for the compliments on the template! It is a lot to learn, but with a little patience, I believe you will find it extremely rewarding.
Quote:
1. Somehow Kontakt tends to invade my template in random places.
I was populating template with the Kontakt libraries I own - inserting tracks using template Kontakt 16 midi to OTR mapped outs. At one point I noticed that I somehow got Kontakt with the same config as I had in dedicated VST track on my MIDI track. After adding couple other VSTs by the same template I found other instances of Kontakt in random MIDI, VI-OUT tracks and one even somehow made it into Recording FX of it's own VST, blocking MIDI input to VST. I will try to figure out how to reproduce...
I'm guessing this is caused by a little bug with Reaper's mixer view refresh. If you insert a track and "see it selected" in the Track View, the track view is refreshed, but the mixer view is not. The left hand track that is showing is actually the previous track selected in Reaper. You have to click on the track you just inserted to make sure you have it selected fully for the "mixer view" (the one track attached to the side of the main view). My guess is you inadvertently placed Kontakt on a track you thought was the one you just inserted, but it was a previous track. To resolve this, just make sure you always click on the track you want to work on directly before adding Kontakt and such.
Quote:
2. There is no way to permanently hide some tracks from track manager while keeping them in Mixer and vice-versa only manipulate visibility with buttons in toolbar simulatneously on both, right?
You can always adjust it manually via Reaper's TCP/MCP view manager or create a snapshot of the tracks you want in the mixer view via Reaper's tools and/or SWS. But you are correct that OTR's native toolset treats a view state as the same for the track view (TCP) and the mixer view (MCP). Perhaps in a future update, OTR will look at breaking those out, but in general, most user workflows tend to address views globally with large orchestral templates. My suggestion would be to create a snapshot of the tracks for the mixer view that you want and just recall it with a keyboard shortcut when you want to view it in the mixer view.
Quote:
3. Is there an instruction or video available, how to use "Virtual hall" properly?
I'm using Audio Imperia libs. I presume instead of stereo mix within the Kontakt instrument I can make enable and send out signals from all mics and then mix in Reaper rather than in Kontakt?
How do I apply additional reverb? Should I send the tracks I need to FX: OTR Strings(Whatever) Verb 1/2 myself?
I did have a video for this in OTR v1 under my Storyteller YouTube account. I was going to re-render those videos and upload them to the new orchestraltemplateforreaper Youttube account with the new OTR v2 UI. Keep an eye out for that. In general, though, think of the virtual hall as a way to take dry tracks and create a virtual hall that resembles the wet libraries in your template. You would place different IRs on each of the "mic placements" in the virtual hall to simulate an instrument that had been recorded with multiple mic positions. This would be good for blending something like sample modeling or VSL instruments into a hall that sounded like your Spitfire instruments which would be routed normally through stereo outs. If you are wanting to mix the tracks from an instrument in OTR rather than in Kontakt, choose an "OTR Mapped" track template and all of the outputs of Kontakt should map into Reaper seamlessly (provided you installed the Kontakt Output presets included with OTR).
Quote:
4. Any advice how to support Sketching->Detailing->Mixing workflow?
I tend to sketch with ensemles and then split everyting into sections.

I really want to keep it simple when playing with ideas for track and gradually introduce more complexity, if that makes sence.
I generally just keep Ensemble tracks in my main template for each instrument and then drag/drop the midi into the individual tracks as needed. If I am being really lazy, I just open a blank template, load a few instruments, record my ideas, then copy/paste the tracks into a full template that is set at the same tempo, etc. Then do a Save As.
Quote:
5. Also how should I manage Kontakt instances and their states during workflow?
For now I'm dropping ensembles and sections instruments in one instance of Kontakt (say, strings ensemble, preorchestrated octaves and then sections) and then purging samples on sections 'till (if) I use them. Is that the way to go or I should rather preapare separate Kontakt instances and disable them?
Completely dependent on your ram/cpu situation. You may find that you need to disable/enable/freeze more often than someone who has more ram or a faster cpu. I used to try to load everything purged, but percussion doesn't work well from a purged state. So, over time, I've just loaded everything normally and allowed Mac OS's ram management to do what it needs to do in the background. I can't say how this translates over on Windows, but Mac's ram management *seems* like it is not handling ram that well based on Ram management tools... but then when you really understand it, you realize it is doing some awesome stuff that allows you to load WAAAAAYYYY more into ram than you thought possible. It dumps samples, compresses them, sprinkles fairy dust on things. As long as you don't hit your page file (e.g. swap), then it seems to work miracles. So that is a long description to say I don't worry about purging anymore.

For instruments, I preferred to enable sections at a time in a ram-limited scenario. So I would load all articulations for a violin via one Kontakt instrument with midi tracks routed to it so that I could freeze/manage it better. But now I do one track per instrument via Reaticulate. I also host most instruments via Vienna Ensemble Pro on multiple servers. I still make use of disabling tracks in my template to manage ram/cpu and to use instruments that just aren't really intended for a VEPro setup. But, in general, I consider one track per instrument as the best approach from a ram/cpu management concept.
Quote:
6. Finally, maybe off-topic, but still - does anyone has good technology to handle Audio Imperia "sample start"? Ideally I would want to switch the instrument to Tight while recording and to 250ms delay when recording is off? Maybe you could direct me to good recepies?

Thanks again for the great template!
This may sound like contradicting advice to the growing trend of sample offsets... but I still highly recommend not using this method. Nudge/shift your midi notes on the editor. It will look sloppy, but even if you have every offset correct, there are still specific samples that will not be cut perfectly from a developer. It is a headache. An unnecessary one to set offsets everywhere via track delay plugins and such. So instead, don't worry about it. Grid it in, shift it around manually to make it sound best to your ears. THEN LASTLY.... if you require sheet music... save your project as another version specifically for notation. Snap all notes to the grid. Then print out the score. That is the least-headache-inducing approach. The only reason the grid/offsets are important is for the actual print scores. Everything else requires some give/go/ebb/flow. Nothing is absolute. Also, focusing too specifically on the grid is going to cause you to lose any life to the song. That can't be realistically undone with algorithms, tempo ramps, etc. I mean, don't be sloppy with the notes, but don't underestimate the human element

Hope this helps. You can always email me directly at support@storyteller.im. I also offer training/coaching classes as well if you prefer that path.

Last edited by storyteller; 12-14-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:49 PM   #51
storyteller

PSA:

OTR v2.2 has been released. The update/change log is pretty extensive on this one. Be sure to read about all of the additions. This update focuses on additional VEPro workflow improvements, bug fixes, and minor convenience improvements. There are over a hundred new scripts and actions!

I also have updated the OTR website (orchestraltemplateforreaper.com) to now show a full change log on the download page. Hope this helps everyone stay up to date on all of the latest changes.

Please check out the latest changes at http://www.orchestraltemplateforreap...ownloadotr.php

As always, let me know if you have any additional questions.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #52
panomax

Just knew this tool. Started to watch the video. Thanks.
panomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:54 AM   #53
GeneralMidi

Hi, I've customised otr 2.1 fairly heavily, theme tweaker, custom scripts etc. What is the best way to update to otr 2.2?
GeneralMidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:35 AM   #54
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMidi View Post
Hi, I've customised otr 2.1 fairly heavily, theme tweaker, custom scripts etc. What is the best way to update to otr 2.2?
There are a couple of way you can approach this. I have a lot of users that maintain a list of their updates and just reapply those updates to the latest version of OTR (when they choose to update it). It is not necessary to update to every version unless you want all of the latest features. But if you do want to update, you have to always think of each OTR update as a new package that will receive the same customizations you've done before. The most important part is updating the scripts that had bug fixes or performance improvements.

That said, if you don't want to migrate from your current OTR project folder, you can update the existing scripts that received bug fixes and such by just copying the scripts from the new OTR scripts folder into your current scripts folder and overwriting any duplicates. Of course, I would make a backup of your OTR folder before doing this. You could also copy over the Track Templates and Project Template files as well to get the benefit of those additions.

Once you've copied the scripts, your version will have the latest versions/updates to the scripts that were in your current OTR package. To take advantage of new scripts, you still would have to "add" the new scripts that were not in your OTR 2.x version of Reaper by going to the Reaper Actions and loading the new scripts that you copied over. If you sort by Date Added or Date Modified, this should get you the scripts you are looking for.

This won't add all of the new shortcuts or menu bar changes (it happened in this update, but is a rare occurrence), but those are arguably less important. You can add those manually if the scripts are of interest to you and your workflow.

Lastly, OTR 2.2 added new JSFX plugins. So, those will need to be copied over. Just copy the effects/midi plugins into your existing installation and the effects/Reapack plugins into your existing installation.

I wish there was an easier process, but since OTR is a complete package of scripts, actions, icons, plugins, track templates, project templates ,etc... the only real way to do this is to just deliver each new OTR update as a package.

Quick backstory... with OTR v1, I tried to mail out updated scripts and installation instructions to users rather than have them download a new bundle. While this worked for some users, the vast majority chose to just upgrade the package since they were running this with only minor tweaks. It was easier and less stress for them to just apply their updates directly to the latest OTR bundle. The ones that did try to update tended to create a lot of support requests to help update or fix an errant update, so it just proved easier to supply the bundle.

TLDR: copy the scripts from the new bundle to your existing installation for bug fixes. For a 1:1 update, to the latest release, please read above.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:57 AM   #55
GeneralMidi

Thanks for your reply.

On another note, I searched youtube for your tutorials on vca faders and other topics that were relevant for OTR v1. However, I think they have been removed. I understand they are outdated now, but I still found them helpful to return to every now and then. OTR is a lot for a newbie to get their head around, and those early videos were helpful.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:34 AM   #56
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMidi View Post
Thanks for your reply.

On another note, I searched youtube for your tutorials on vca faders and other topics that were relevant for OTR v1. However, I think they have been removed. I understand they are outdated now, but I still found them helpful to return to every now and then. OTR is a lot for a newbie to get their head around, and those early videos were helpful.
Hey. I am a little behind on getting the old videos migrated over to OTR2's new YouTube site. Apologies on that. I've been pouring my spare OTR time in more updates. But, I am nearing a good point to get those videos migrated over and/or updated. I did go ahead and privately re-list the VCA video from OTR 1 if you need that one.

https://youtu.be/jBYqzpc5tUM

And there are a number of new OTR2 videos coming as well. I also plan on doing a really deep dive into a fully developed template for large projects.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #57
Suzuki

Hi,

I tried to import user-contributed files by dragging-dropping them onto the window, but Storyteller_GUI_Reaticulate lua files started to say "attempt to compare number with nil" after that. Apparently, it resulted from ** after the word "Bank" in the reabank files since we don't need to fill in specific numbers as of Reaticulate 5.0 version.
https://github.com/jtackaberry/reati...ster/userbanks

Could you address the situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #58
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
Hi,

I tried to import user-contributed files by dragging-dropping them onto the window, but Storyteller_GUI_Reaticulate lua files started to say "attempt to compare number with nil" after that. Apparently, it resulted from ** after the word "Bank" in the reabank files since we don't need to fill in specific numbers as of Reaticulate 5.0 version.
https://github.com/jtackaberry/reati...ster/userbanks

Could you address the situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hey Suzuki. The current release of OTR2 requires the use of Reaticulate 0.4.7. Any files created with a higher version of Reaticulate will not be compatible due to the structure of the changes to the Reaticulate file that version 0.5+ requires. However, if you want to include a 0.5+ bank in your OTR2 reabank file, you can open it up manually in a text editor and copy it into the file. BUT - you must make sure to give it a numeric LSB and MSB as well as remove the id# from the file.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:20 AM   #59
Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
Hey Suzuki. The current release of OTR2 requires the use of Reaticulate 0.4.7. Any files created with a higher version of Reaticulate will not be compatible due to the structure of the changes to the Reaticulate file that version 0.5+ requires. However, if you want to include a 0.5+ bank in your OTR2 reabank file, you can open it up manually in a text editor and copy it into the file. BUT - you must make sure to give it a numeric LSB and MSB as well as remove the id# from the file.
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!
Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:20 AM   #60
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!
No problem! I hope to have version 0.5+ compatibility in the next OTR release - which should be released relatively soon.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:28 AM   #61
ceanganb

I can hardly find the right words to praise yours and tack's achievements. You made me abandon Cubase once again.

Thank you, storyteller, for offering us such a monster package. I'm donating ASAP.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #62
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceanganb View Post
I can hardly find the right words to praise yours and tack's achievements. You made me abandon Cubase once again.

Thank you, storyteller, for offering us such a monster package. I'm donating ASAP.
Thank you so much! I'm glad it is able to help other fellow musicians/producers/composers. There will be a lot of really cool updates in v2.3 btw. That isn't too far off...
Old 08-12-2022, 06:37 AM   #63
norbury brook

I still haven't dived into this yet....

I've been using reaticulate and working as 'normal' in reaper for recent things.

Does OTR really only make sense if i was doing complex full orchestral things, or are there still benefits to working with orchestral 'pop' songs, which is more my thing?

Am I correct in thinking that i would need to re-install an earlier version of reaticulate if I wanted to give this a try, or is everything working ?

Thanks again for your work.

M
Old 08-12-2022, 07:46 AM   #64
storyteller

Quote:
I still haven't dived into this yet....

I've been using reaticulate and working as 'normal' in reaper for recent things.

Does OTR really only make sense if i was doing complex full orchestral things, or are there still benefits to working with orchestral 'pop' songs, which is more my thing?
Hey! OTR would definitely benefit any user - not just orchestral users. I personally do a lot of pop producttions in OTR as well as traditional composing. I have a lot of great feedback from users doing traditional pop music as well. The only difference is that I might not use one of the large templates for a pop production and instead create one from scratch as I go. But the big benefit is having all of the types of tracks, groupings, scripts, and workflow improvements that OTR affords. Of course, for composing, those templates make life so much easier. Also, the Reaticulate GUI Editor I built for OTR makes using Reaticulate incredibly easy.
Quote:

Am I correct in thinking that i would need to re-install an earlier version of reaticulate if I wanted to give this a try, or is everything working ?
OTR v2.2 comes with Reaticulate v0.4.7. So if you’ve been using the new file format of Reaticulate v0.5+ And want to import those reabanks, you will need to assign MSB and LSB values to you reabank imports. In the upcoming OTR v2.3, it will include Reaticulate v0.5+ compatibility. I hope to have that released relatively soon. There are a lot of updates in this next release that I think users will like.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:04 AM   #65
storyteller

Default OTR v2.3 NOW AVAILABLE (September 22, 2022)

I'm really excited to announce that OTR v2.3 is now available.

Here are some highlights:

OTR has partnered with Orchestral Tools to now include project templates, track templates, articulation maps, and Vienna Ensemble Pro Server projects for their flagship libraries. All of these configurations are mapped logically in OTR for a one-track-per-instrument approach... including mapping mic faders to CCs in VEPro, etc. Be sure to check out the full manual for the included OT Extras.

OTR comes with an OTR-specific factory Reaticulate reabank library out of the box. This includes all of the Orchestral Tools flagship libraries mapped in an intuitive way. SINE presets are included to quickly sync up your libraries. Track templates require no configuration at all. They just work out of the box.

OTR includes a suite of custom scripts for visually-impaired users. These scripts make it possible for assistant-free composing through the use of Visual Feedback Screen Prompts (VISP scripts in Reaper actions menu) for screen reading software in Reaper. Initial setup of the visually-impaired composer's template is required... but afterwards, making music should be very close to assistant-free as possible.

New filtering with DYNAMIC Find/Search functions make it super easy to tailor your views for large templates.

Vastly improved Global Visibility Toggles menu toolbar and functions.

Vastly improved Midi usability, including incorporation of the latest Midi Tool plugin.

Vastly improved mouse and arrow navigation in the track view and midi view.

Fully compatible with Reaticulate 0.5.x.

New and updated VSTi2 and VSTi3 track templates of most samplers available today

Reapack scripts can now be updated without breaking OTR compatibility.

Now includes ~1400+ custom scripts/actions!

installation of OTR v2.3:
https://youtu.be/bay3NDzhL1g

What's New in OTR v2.3
https://youtu.be/38xEhbx1EUk

Download Link:
www.orchestraltemplateforreaper.com

OTR is a free to use and download. OTR uses a donation model to support development. Thank you for your continued support!

Last edited by storyteller; 09-22-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:07 PM   #66
ceanganb

I'm speechless!

Thank you so much.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:03 AM   #67
GeneralMidi

Yeah, this is really amazing.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:06 PM   #68
TonE

Thanks for sharing. Had a quick look what is inside.

Biggest file* using 2 GB. Is there any technique how those files could be made smaller just for analysis purposes? Copy to another RPP, remove all what increased the file size, keeping track names and routings which I am mainly interested in. Actually all should be kept only removing "size increasing components". Any ideas which script technique could be used? Any regexp doing something like: from ... to ... delete anything in between, or replace by RS5k, just not to keep that place empty, for example. Actually it could be an interesting idea, replacing all Kontakt like components by RS5k. Namings should be kept, if possible. So one could get an idea how things could be organized. Main advantage would be those gigantic file sizes would not exist, at least not for analysis purposes. For normal use cases the 2 GB file is still there, waiting for you.

* Extras By Orchestral Tools/Orchestral Tools Reaper Project Templates/Individual Kontakt Project Collections/Orchestral Tools Glory Days Big Band Horns.RPP

What else is inside:
- Extras By Orchestral Tools, 5.7 GB
- OTR, 2.4 GB
- Files, 33.4 MB

Together, 8.2 GB, 9434 files.

Last edited by TonE; 11-22-2022 at 01:12 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #69
TonE

Here one example of routing visualization* from OTR 2.3 as PDF. PDF has full size, PNG is only subsection, to show here...

* for Orchestral_Tools___Full_OTR_Project_for_Berlin_Orc hestra_Created_with_Berklee_local.RPP

Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot-20221122-214641.png (90.5 KB, 396 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf routing.dot.dot.svg.pdf (98.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 11-22-2022, 03:22 PM   #70
TonE

Another visualization of routing* as PDF attached.

* for OTR/ProjectTemplates/OTR_v2.3_Blank_Project_Classic_Quad.RPP
Attached Files
File Type: pdf routing.dot.dot.svg.pdf (113.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 11-23-2022, 09:08 AM   #71
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Another visualization of routing* as PDF attached.

* for OTR/ProjectTemplates/OTR_v2.3_Blank_Project_Classic_Quad.RPP
that made my head hurt!!!

m
Old 11-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #72
TonE

At least people can see what the fuss is about or general used concepts during routing... no matter how complex, for getting its main idea.