Old 12-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #41
lessera
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
To make it short. There are two methods: In V4 the tint adjustment was done in the preferences. In V5 the tinting is only managed over the image transparency. This is why I made your image files more transparent. If you want more tinting I could create more transparency. Also if you want certain parts full transparent or opaque.

So think about it as long as I have my Photoshop open.
Timely thread. I have been looking into making adjustments to the item_bg.png file so that track items appear only a subtle shade of the track colour (rather than the full track colour itself).

I understand that one needs to make an adjustment to the transparency of the .png file to accomplish this. But I cannot figure out how to adjust the alpha channel that defines the transparency of the .png file.

Eliseat: What transparency have you set the item_bg.png and the item_bg_sel.png in the zip file you provided? Can you hint at how you make that adjustment in photoshop? Better yet, could you do me a HUGE favour, and make me the following:

item_bg.png - transparency of only about 33%
item_bg_sel.png - transparency of about 66%

I would really, really appreciate it!
lessera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #42
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessera View Post
Timely thread. I have been looking into making adjustments to the item_bg.png file so that track items appear only a subtle shade of the track colour (rather than the full track colour itself).

I understand that one needs to make an adjustment to the transparency of the .png file to accomplish this. But I cannot figure out how to adjust the alpha channel that defines the transparency of the .png file.

Eliseat: What transparency have you set the item_bg.png and the item_bg_sel.png in the zip file you provided? Can you hint at how you make that adjustment in photoshop? Better yet, could you do me a HUGE favour, and make me the following:

item_bg.png - transparency of only about 33%
item_bg_sel.png - transparency of about 66%

I would really, really appreciate it!
This is pretty easy to do. Okay, I work my whole live in Photoshop, but its still easy.

You have to know that png images don't have an extra alpha channel but they give excess to the alpha (opacity) of every pixel. So if a pixel is only 50% opaque the info is saved along with it.

So how do you change the transparency of opaque parts? Create a selection of the part, go to Edit -> Fill. A window pops up. Change mode to "delete" and enter a percentage of how much transparency (deletion) should get applied. 50% is the same as 50% layer opacity. 80% would be 20% layer opacity. (80% deleted from opaque).

You also can cut out the part you want to change the transparency, paste it into a new layer and adjust the opacity there.

You then can just export as an png without hesitation. Layers will get merged and all transparency stays as you just saw it in Photoshop.

Try it yourself. I could do this for you but this gets to complicated if the values don't fit exactly or if you want it a bit darker or brighter. And don't forget: Transparency does not equal transparency. Color and brightness affect how it later looks in Reaper. 30% black differ extremely from 30% white.

If you know how to do it you can try as many times as you want until it fits perfectly. But if you get stuck I will give you further help of course.

By the way: Welcome to the Reaper forums!
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #43
Coachz

Mods, feel free to move this thread to the theming forum. Thanks !
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #44
lessera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Try it yourself. I could do this for you but this gets to complicated if the values don't fit exactly or if you want it a bit darker or brighter. And don't forget: Transparency does not equal transparency. Color and brightness affect how it later looks in Reaper. 30% black differ extremely from 30% white.

If you know how to do it you can try as many times as you want until it fits perfectly. But if you get stuck I will give you further help of course.

By the way: Welcome to the Reaper forums!
Thanks for the tutorial! That looks pretty straight forward. I will try it out this evening.

And thanks for the welcome. I have been having tonnes of fun tweaking and configuring Reaper to my liking. Though there is definitely a learning curve to it all... This forum has been a great resource so far.

Cheers.
lessera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #45
kovarny

Hi guys, today I created transparent empty item, and I want to know how I did it.... cause I don't know.
I created dozens of empty items and then I noticed one of them is transparent. It does not change color when moving from track to track. I swear I did not change the settings and theme settings at that time. Halp me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg empty item.jpg (42.0 KB, 101 views)
kovarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #46
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovarny View Post
Hi guys, today I created transparent empty item, and I want to know how I did it.... cause I don't know.

I created dozens of empty items and then I noticed one of them is transparent. It does not change color when moving from track to track.
What exactly did you move from track to track? At any rate, what you seem to have is couple of empty items on one track, selected empty ones being transparent. Also, since there's a faint waveform showing, that hints that track being a folder parent which shows the child track peaks through. (Preferences/Appearance/Peaks&waveforms, Draw faint peaks in folder tracks.)
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #47
kovarny

Ок I record a screenvideo. Do you see the transparent item? It's not matter folder or parent track or children. Item remains transparent at all times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRz37VWvXqg
kovarny is offline   Reply With Quote