Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Selected Take Lane Discrepancy

This really should be a bug but wanted to mention it here first. There are very few reasons anyone would want "Allow selecting empty take lanes" enabled but there is one major reason which is to keep grouped (or selected) takes proportionally and properly aligned to each other per take.

In other words if you have three takes but the third is only 1/2 the length; the other half of take three is an "empty take". See below:

Notice above these are two items and what one may tend to do is want to cycle both takes in both items together so that moving from take 1 to take 2 in item one is also mirrored in item two. Using the T key is the best way to cycle and this is one of the few times allow selecting of empty take lanes is needed because if not, the takes between the two items will get out of sync since the empty lane gets skipped over when cycling.

Enabling selecting of empty take lanes fixes this because the empty take is now in the cycle of takes, we are good. However.... As soon as you collapse the takes (CTRL+L) which is one of the best ways to work with takes, the empty lane no longer gets selected even though selection is enabled. This is broken because it means that showing/hiding take lanes will suddenly change the behavior.

Here is licecap. The first half (lanes visible) I have the first take of each item selected then start pressing T to cycle, notice that the takes align properly and the take name label above also reflects the correct take number and total takes. In the second half, all I did was collapse the view (hide lanes) and repeat. Now we lose a take in the second item as if it never existed (the empty take) and now cycling throws everything off:

The big problem here is this will completely cause major screw ups (if there are any empty lanes) if not extremely careful because the empty lane is not treated consistently. If I confused anyone, please ask for clarification as the wording can be tricky.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-09-2013 at 03:40 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
karbomusic

I provided the nit, where's the pick?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
James HE

pick me! pick me!

I've been thinking about this, and I think I'd be 50/50 on which behavior I'd prefer. it sort of depends on the situation.

if the take is empty, mostly I wouldn't want to hear silence when auditioning takes, but I have no idea what behavior would be better.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
nofish

Blast from the past, but I think this is adressed in the current dev branch, so karbo, you may wanna check that.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:35 AM   #5
karbomusic

Yea, I saw the mention in the other thread, good stuff.