Old 11-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
tedvanya
Human being with feelings

Default sick of sonar

I am considering Reaper. I'll try to describe how I work in Sonar. I enter notes one at a time in either in piano roll view or on the staff view.Edit my work there and mix in MIDI before convert to audio.
I can't seem to find similar setup in Reaper. Any help will be welcome,

Ted
tedvanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
nait

Your best bet is to probably watch some tutorial videos here:

http://reaper.fm/videos.php

There are a lot. The person that did them (Kenny Gioia) has something for almost anything and they are well done.

I work pretty much exclusively with MIDI, myself, and have been using Reaper for about half a year now. It took a while to adjust my brain from Cubase to Reaper, but it works well, once you get the hang of it. Reaper has a piano roll, and a notation view.

You'll likely eventually find Reaper two things:
- Super customizable
- Somewhat confusing - this isn't an exclusive feature of Reaper I've found every DAW to have a bit of a learning curve.. however Reaper seems a bit less intuitive than most, out of the box (Kenny Gioia to the rescue, however).

Eventually you'll either learn how to do things the way they've been developed, or make your own customizations to make the work flow a little easier for you.

To get you started, what you're going to want to do is create a new track... right click in the blank area on the left, pick insert virtual instrument on new track (or whatever it says) and pick some sort of VSTi to work with. ReaSynth if you don't have your own VSTis yet.

Next, in the menu, click Insert, then new MIDI item (I eventually created a shortcut key as the Insert key to do this.. I believe something else is mapped to that by default though). You'll see a blank white rectangle added in the timeline on the right now. If you double click that, it takes you to the MIDI editor. You should be able to fumble your way through that part.

Hope that helps. Definitely check the videos I mentioned out though, as they can teach you everything you need to know.

On top of that, one more thing, make sure your sound card / audio interface is all set up and you can hear sounds. That would be in Options->Preferences under Audio->Device. Pretty sure Kenny even has a video for that, if you need help.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 11-14-2019 at 12:55 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
poetnprophet

hey there, I converted from Sonar about 18 months ago. I would just forget what you know about Sonar and watch the Kenny G videos on Reaper....all of them. You may decide to adopt the default workflow, or you'll learn how to modify to your liking.

Also, be sure to check out the amazing tool from azslow which allows you to open your sonar projects in reaper. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=202667
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
vanceen

I also used Cakewalk and SONAR from 1988 until the time Gibson stopped development.

I agree with the advice above. Reaper is excellent, but it's best (as with any software) not to start from SONAR framework but to take a little time to learn Reaper from the ground up.

Kenny Gioia's videos figured largely in my reasons for switching to Reaper. First of all, it was easy to find out from his videos that Reaper can do everything I'm looking to do. Following that, I watched everything he's published and got up to speed very quickly.

I would say that MIDI editing is perhaps not the best thing about REAPER, but it's as good as SONAR's and I don't know of any better.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
S.L.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
hey there, I converted from Sonar about 18 months ago. I would just forget what you know about Sonar and watch the Kenny G videos on Reaper....all of them. You may decide to adopt the default workflow, or you'll learn how to modify to your liking.

Also, be sure to check out the amazing tool from azslow which allows you to open your sonar projects in reaper. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=202667
This is great advice. I came to Reaper from Sonar almost two years ago. I couldn't be happier.
S.L.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote