Old 01-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
bobpell
Human being with feelings

Default Focusrite 2i2 Scarlette vs Motu M2 with Reaper

Hi,
I'm thinking to update my current audio interface. Based on specs, reviews and price I would choose between Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen and Motu M2.
Do you know if both of them work well with Reaper?
In the forum I found some posts that confuse me.
And has anyone tryed them both? Which is better for you?
I would use it mainly for voices, acoustic and electric guitar recording, with some additional drum and bass base.
Tnks
bobpell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
nait

I've had a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and a Solo. You may have seen some posts from me about my experiences with them. I'll have to reiterate and possibly revise them to say that I'm really liking it again.

I had a 1st generation 2i2, and I now have a 3rd generation Solo. For a short string of time, my 1st gen had some issues that eventually resolved themselves. I suspect it was actually either a cable issue or a PC issue. Outside of that, it worked really well..

However, I got a Presonus Studio 24c 2x2 for Christmas from my wife. I actually put the Motu M2 on my Amazon list, and she was going by that (she has no idea what any of these things do)... however Amazon ended up changing the Motu to a Presonus at some point, oddly! So I got that one, and decided I'd return that and get something else... I decided to go with the Solo. I don't typically connect instruments or mic, and if I do, it's just one guitar, so that's why I went with that over a 2i2.

So I ended up managing to sell my older 2i2 and "upgrade" to a brand new Solo and sock away a few bucks too.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Focusrite interfaces and would highly recommend them now. Again, I had some problems in the past, but I am 95% sure the problems were not the fault of the interface.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.https://soundcloud.com/nullref
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:48 AM   #3
bobpell

Thanks Nait.
So good feedback with Focusrite. Anyone tryed Motu M2(or M4) with Reaper?
Old 01-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
b2001

I considered an m2/m4 but it seemed that some folks were having issues with the drivers and windows 10 so I went with a 2i2 gen 3. Had it for 6 months and works great.

I don’t know if the m2/m4 issues have been sorted out and I don’t know how prevalent they are or were.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
BrentHarmon

I haven't had any issue with Motu M4.
BrentHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:36 AM   #6
bobpell

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
I considered an m2/m4 but it seemed that some folks were having issues with the drivers and windows 10
That was my worry

@BrentHarmon: I haven't had any issue with Motu M4.

Good to see. I believe at the end M2/M4 should be slightly better in quality than 2i2, but it's just a feeling
Old 01-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
bobpell

I'm also finally considering SSL 2 interface, same price of Motu M2, aligned to my budget. For the time being it is my preferred one among SSL 2, Scarlett 2i2 and Motu M2. Any feedback of owner? No issues with Reaper?
I clearly want to going on using Reaper
Old 01-25-2021, 01:55 AM   #8
ivansc

No MIDI I/O on the SSL apparently.... from my point of view the MOTU looks like a no-brainer.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
bobpell

At the end I've just got the SSL 2+. First preliminary tests with electric guitar confirm in my view good sound and a very easy usability. Double head phone out it's for me an important feature. As per some reviews not excellent headphone output.