Old 02-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
jm67
Human being with feelings

Default 1975 - psych/folk rock original

I recorded this a couple of weeks ago using Reaper. I had been messing around with a chord progression in DADGAD tuning and liked the melody/harmony that came out. Sort of a melancholy feel. Thanks for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/jm67dc/1975-master/s-VujqCmiDdAB
jm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #2
Stinger

Yes this has a nice, easy flowing sound, sort of like some of the late sixty's West Coast psychedelic bands....maybe that's what you were shooting for? Would be more interesting, though, IMO, if the vocals were lifted a little over the music. The echo guitar part (unless that's a keyboard) sort of drowns out the voice. Nice song though - takes me back.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #3
toleolu

Nice job.

Has an early Pink Floyd feel to it.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #4
jm67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Yes this has a nice, easy flowing sound, sort of like some of the late sixty's West Coast psychedelic bands....maybe that's what you were shooting for? Would be more interesting, though, IMO, if the vocals were lifted a little over the music. The echo guitar part (unless that's a keyboard) sort of drowns out the voice. Nice song though - takes me back.
Yes, good feedback. I could duck the guitar a little behind the vocal, especially during the refrain. Yes, I suppose it does sound like 60s psychedelia as that's the kind of music I tend to listen to.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
jm67

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Nice job.

Has an early Pink Floyd feel to it.
Thanks for listening. I didn't think about Pink Floyd when recording it but yes, it's probably there.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #6
tspring

Nice 60s psychedelic vibe. I think it's the reverb and the style of the harmony that makes it so reminiscent of that music, like the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield. I also believe that bringing up the vocal levels is worth considering. My experience is that many musicians bury their vocal tracks because they are unsure of the quality of their singing. Your voice works very well on this kind of music. It will be fine at higher levels. And if you feel that you're a little pitchy, there is nothing wrong with a little gently applied autotune.

I quite enjoyed the song.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #7
garanimals

This is really nice! I loved the groove and feel (atmosphere).

I would love to hear the vocals closer to speak to me.
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
Jorgen

This is a sound I love. Really nice vocals/harmony. Well done.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:07 AM   #9
enroe

Great song, psychodelic in the style of the early seventies.

Improvement: The kick is a little too loud, singing a little
too quiet. Otherwise leave everything like that!
Old 02-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
jm67

Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds like the consensus is to raise & clarify the vocals a little bit. I submitted the song to a few playlists already... half loved the vocals, and half complained they were out of tune Guess some things are subjective.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #11
tspring

People have different sensitivities to pitch accuracy. I can hear you drifting off pitch a little here and there, but not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the tune. I have found that when people do notice pitch issues, what they are hearing can be limited to a relatively small number of notes. Fix them, and the perception of being out of tune goes away for the entire track. If you use pitch correction technology judiciously, nobody will hear that, but they will then perceive everything being in tune. I'm not saying that you ought to do pitch correction, just that you could, if you want to satisfy the folks who find the vocal out of tune.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #12
sammydix

While I do agree that the vocs are a bit low, I like the song itself so much I probably wouldn't care about a stray note or two.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
Dean Roddey

I wouldn't raise the vocals. Modern digital tools have made everyone believe that everything should be perfect. Back then, it was more about capturing magic and the imperfections were part of that. And of course it adds to the mystery as well if everything isn't just right in your face and obvious.

Anyhoo, I was sort of thinking "Brian Jonestown Massacre". Check them out if you haven't. A brilliant neo-psychedelic band but a cautionary tale. They were also featured in the very good documentary "Dig!", along with the "Dandy Warhols", which is a very good watch as well.
Dean Roddey is offline   Reply With Quote