Old 03-03-2021, 01:19 AM   #1
Jojokyra
Human being with feelings

Default OSC connections Reaper to Unreal Engine?

I saw Ableton can do this - here is the tutorial
https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/com...unreal_engine/

Following this I was able to get some type of "connection" (an error) between Reaper and Unreal:

When I hit play in Reaper - a message in the Output Log of Unreal starts to appear and roll every sec:

LogOSC: Warning: Failed to parse OSCBundle of invalid format. #bundle identifier not first item in packet.

When I stop playing Reaper - the message stops to roll too. So definitely a connection. But it didn't control the blueprint in Unreal as it suppose to.

I suspect if the message have something to do with Pattern config from OSC setup window in Reaper? Meaning I have to define that I want to send MIDI signals perhaps? (the Ableton guy make sure of this) Or it is something else?

Or perhaps something to do with Unreal? Is here someone who can even help with that?
Jojokyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:23 AM   #2
mschnell

#bundle is a feature of the OSC transport layer. It can be used or ignored, but if used the format is well defined. Hence this seems to be some kind of bug and not a configuration issue.
Seemingly some developers have oproblems with #bundle. E.G. all Behringer devices seem not to be able to decode messages that use #bundle.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #3
Jojokyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
#bundle is a feature of the OSC transport layer. It can be used or ignored, but if used the format is well defined. Hence this seems to be some kind of bug and not a configuration issue.
Seemingly some developers have oproblems with #bundle. E.G. all Behringer devices seem not to be able to decode messages that use #bundle.
-Michael
Hi Michael, I found some TouchDesigner users have the same problem to connect via OSC especially with my version of Unreal Engine 4.26.1 (currently the last one)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/touc...0595342106458/

their solutions sound like this:

Quote:
Pete I got OSC working in 4.26 from TD. I had to use a oscOut Dat - I think the trick was specifying the path in your OSCout, which is /ue/
I can't really understand how to set up this or if I am understanding it... I think I give up. It would be lovely if someone knowledgeable make a tutorial, I am definitely not in my territory with this, although I use both Reaper and Unreal Engine, but I am just a visual/sound designer, cant really deal with the code aspect. I am seeing that with Ableton's envelopes, Midi so on you can control all sort of parameters in Unreal via OSC messages, priceless for visual ideas...
Jojokyra is offline   Reply With Quote