Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
andyp24
Human being with feelings

Default Loudness Normalisation of Edited Section

Hi everyone

There are SWS actions for normalising Items and Tracks to -23LUFS.

With a section of a track containing multiple items (eg an edited interview), using the Items action normalises each item individually to -23, changing the balance of the section (and because it also normalises any short items which are just roomtone or breaths, can also make a disastrous mess)

Using the Track action works by altering the Track volume fader so that the whole track is normalised to -23, which also may not be desirable (if, for example, the section I want to normalise is not the only thing on that track)

Is there a way to combine these somehow (a script?) so that I could highlight a collection of items, and Normalise them OVERALL to -23LUFS, without adjusting the internal balance of the selection (ie every item receives a common gain boost or cut to make the whole come out at -23)?

Many thanks
Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #2
Fabian

One way would be to glue them first. This generates a single item out of the selected ones, and that one you can then normalize to -23 LUFS.

Of course, if they are not contiguous this might not work...
Old 03-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
andyp24

Yes of course, but the idea is to retain the edited section "as is" in case further work needs doing.

I wondered if there's a way to "read" the track fader level with a script and then apply that value to the item gains, or something like that...?
Old 03-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
fakemaxwell

I do this fairly often. The quickest way I've found is kludgey. Make a new track and drag just the items you'd like to have normalized to it, and then run the SWS action on the new track. Whatever the new track fader volume is set to, apply that value to the items and drag them back.

Script could probably shave a second off of that time, maybe? But it does the job.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
andyp24

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking, but automatically. Not necessarily because it saves me a second of work, just because it's neater and SHOULD be possible 😁