Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
jnastic
Human being with feelings

Default Switching from PC to Mac

Hi everyone.
I've been using Reaper for 10 years already exclusively on Windows.
I'm now switching to the MacOS platform and I have no idea what to expect, although, it seems pretty seamless.

I have tons of projects (files, directories) and a few key VST plugins.

Will the settings of my VST plugins follow the migration?

Do you have any tips, suggestions, tweaks, things I should know about, anything that could help me start making music soon with my new Mac?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm a real Mac novice...
jnastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #2
BenK-msx

Did so last year,
Mostly seamless, may notice slightly slower gui which is annoying at first but not really a prob after a while.

Closing windows takes adjustment as the X's are on the other side!

Just takes some acclimatisation. Nothing crazy.

Do the export config thing in reaper and think that should cover you. I started fresh anyway, less kak plugins etc.

It's not all roses on the 'other side' but should be a net less faffing with the OS in the long run!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
serr

The export config option in Reaper covers everything in the Reaper resource folder.

Any 3rd party plugins will have an OSX installer. You may have to dig up your original download or go back and download the OSX version.

Plugin settings are normally stored in a directory (folder) in the Library folder named after the plugin. So you may have to browse your file system for those and copy them to keep your saved plugin settings.

OSX is Unix based so this will get you prepared for the eventual migration to Linux.

FYI Many people see an increase in stability and speed (including GUI speed) with OSX. There is not universal agreement on that "OSX has a slower GUI" comment.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The export config option in Reaper covers everything in the Reaper resource folder.

Any 3rd party plugins will have an OSX installer. You may have to dig up your original download or go back and download the OSX version.

Plugin settings are normally stored in a directory (folder) in the Library folder named after the plugin. So you may have to browse your file system for those and copy them to keep your saved plugin settings.

OSX is Unix based so this will get you prepared for the eventual migration to Linux.

FYI Many people see an increase in stability and speed (including GUI speed) with OSX. There is not universal agreement on that "OSX has a slower GUI" comment.
I said 'may notice' your honour.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
shanabit

check out this site for keyboard shortcuts:
https://macmost.com

https://macmost.com/printable-mac-ke...os-sierra.html

I dont notice much diff between Mac and PC as far as Reaper goes. I did disable the AU plugins scan and only use VST like on PC here.

Reaper is pretty much Reaper on OSX EXCEPT for the fact that it will scan AU (AudioUnits plugins which are OSX format plugins) and your normal VST type.

Audio Units is Native for OSX if you will. Logic uses it and some others. Reaper lets you use both versions or decide which you want to use or not use
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #6
jnastic

Well it's done. I just got my MacBook Pro and so far so good.
Just plugged everything and working out of the box, no optimizations needed.
I don't find it lagging in GUI.
For now, it's more about learning the OS than Reaper (yeah, the X button...).
I haven't imported my Reaper config yet, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Thanks for your answers.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
jnastic

It's been a few weeks now and the only problem I encountered was with SWS Autocolor. My projects had trouble opening some of the track icons.

It was only a question of changing the type of slash in the sws-autocoloricon.ini file.

In Windows it's \
In MacOS it's /

Simple as that.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #8
dupont

I think to do the opposite, switching from mac to PC unless new imac will come with a decent graphic card, SSD, no more 4200 rm HD and be cheaper.
Mac became way too expensive and less powerfull than PC.
That's an old debate but certainly has never been so true.
Even pro switch to PC. Mac computer sales dropped by 13%, not by chance !
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
I think to do the opposite, switching from mac to PC unless new imac will come with a decent graphic card, SSD, no more 4200 rm HD and be cheaper.
Mac became way too expensive and less powerfull than PC.
That's an old debate but certainly has never been so true.
Even pro switch to PC. Mac computer sales dropped by 13%, not by chance !
Apple stopped making pro computers after 2012. The pro models made between 2008 - 2012 are the ones to find and keep. OSX can't be far behind either. We're good for quite a few more years on just what remains but moving forward it's going to be Linux and DIY builds unless a new player comes on the scene. As a long time Mac user that drank all the koolaid and everything, I strongly recommend avoiding any Apple machine made after 2012.

Powerful computers are turning into niche tools. The masses are buying machines not much more powerful than a phone to connect to facebook. There aren't going to be any new players I don't think. It's DIY moving forward.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
dupont

Quote:
Apple stopped making pro computers after 2012. The pro models made between 2008 - 2012 are the ones to find and keep. OSX can't be far behind either. We're good for quite a few more years on just what remains but moving forward it's going to be Linux and DIY builds unless a new player comes on the scene. As a long time Mac user that drank all the koolaid and everything, I strongly recommend avoiding any Apple machine made after 2012.

Powerful computers are turning into niche tools. The masses are buying machines not much more powerful than a phone to connect to facebook. There aren't going to be any new players I don't think. It's DIY moving forward.
+1 for linux, I currently reply on my netbook running Ubuntu (waiting for tomorrow 18.10 update). I think lot of work must be done in linux before it is good enought for audio. Even if linux has improved, some DAWs are now available on linux, but the issue of 3rd party plugin is not solved.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:32 AM   #11
Futur8me

Apple will soon be releasing new computers so hold tight and stop being so negative.., if you prefer using windows then there is absolutely no point in getting a mac.. i personally prefer using macOS.

Also the current iMac and macbook pros that have thunderbolt 3 can use external graphics cards if you want more graphics power.

The hole debate about macs being more expensive is very tiresome.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
hooeras

I am using thunderbolt 3 now ,all seems so right.
hooeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:13 AM   #13
Aymara

I switched in 2015 to a Macbook Pro, because I wanted something powerful for audio and photo stuff and the Macbook was the only powerful notebook being quiet enough for mic recordings.

I also have less issues with latencies, BUT I hate Apple‘s updates ... like on iOS too ... never ever install a zero version !!!

Best example ... I want to update to NI Komplete 12, but Mojave is not yet supported. I started with Yosemite, which needed 3 updates to get free of major troubles. El Capitan the same.

Other than that I feal pretty at home in the Apple world now.

And regarding ignoring pros ... Apple woke up, but yes, the prices are shocking.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:05 AM   #14
dupont

I also wonder if Reaper is as solid on PC than on MAC.
I have had several crashes to desktop on El capitan for the last releases.
Reaper used to be rock solid even whit beta.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:07 AM   #15
Futur8me

I really like the new Mac mini.. the i7 6 core will be a beast.. but as they are saying lets wait and see how this new Mac mini handles the heat of a maxed out 6 core.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #16
machinesworking

I'll go there, if you can't get anything done on the current line of Apple computers it's not because they aren't "pro" it's because you aren't. I started using VST plug ins on a Mac 400mhz tower. Couple all this with the fact that you're using the leanest DAW there is. Reaper can run at least 25% more plug ins than Logic and DP in my tests, 50% more than Live.

Yes, you can put together a PC tower that will be cheaper and faster than anything Apple puts out. By all means go do it. Linux? Sorry not willing to run VSTi's in a shell just to avoid using Windows or Mac OS.
machinesworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
cyrano

It's not that simple...

Some users are hit by a problem with messaging. MacOS will send some data over the network to the cloud at unknown intervals. Most users don't have any problem with this.

A way to avoid it is creating a dedicated user account for audio. Like the startup set we used to have for audio. In that user account, disable bluetooth and network and it will avoid the problem.

Of course, that won't allow the use of internet, or the cloud. And it will still not work for everyone.

What makes this problem worse, is that there is NO documentation for messaging and the switches (in System preferences) that the user can access do not work consistently.

But I'll admit the new Mini looks very tempting. It still has a real network port and a pair of USB ports. Not USB-C exclusively. And a headphone jack! Go figure. Did someone lock Jonathan Ive in a closet? I'll still wait for a Mac Pro, or a new Macbook Pro if Apple decides to do away with USB-C only and redesigns the keyboard. And adds a network port. A real one...
Old 11-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #18
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Some users are hit by a problem with messaging. MacOS will send some data over the network to the cloud at unknown intervals. Most users don't have any problem with this.
That‘s why I‘m still on El Capitan. As far as I know, this nonsense started with Sierra, right?

Fact is, I can use Lemur over WiFi to remote control Reaper and synths without any issues ... that‘s how it should be.

Chris
Old 11-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #19
cyrano

I went from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and it was already present in Mavericks. But not as bad. You could still disable it.

If you disable messaging under El Capital, no Appstore, no updates, no Airplay, no Handoff, no sync with the Cloud or iOS, not even over USB. And no messaging, of course. Difficult if you have iOS devices.

Funny. Apple patched a boatload of vulnerabilities today. Any Apple device* could be made to crash instantly from the local network with one malformed packet. Sierra, HS and Mojave got the patches today. El Capital got those in july.

* Yes, ANY Apple device, including Mac, ipad, iphone, ipod Touch, Apple TV, Apple Watch. They all share a kernel. Not the routers, these haven't been developed by Apple.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #20
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I went from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and it was already present in Mavericks. But not as bad. You could still disable it.
Mmh, I don‘t remember doing anything in regards to this and had no issues on Yosemite and El Capitan.

As I said, I even used Lemur over WiFi.

Chris
Old 11-03-2018, 04:31 AM   #21
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Mmh, I don‘t remember doing anything in regards to this and had no issues on Yosemite and El Capitan.

As I said, I even used Lemur over WiFi.
It only happens in rare cases. In my case, in Mavericks, it happened because I wasn't using messaging at all, but it kept running in the background and caused dropouts every now and then. It's a combo of Spotlight indexing, messaging and QuickLook happening at the wrong moment. Adding Quicklook definitions for big docs like CAD seems to make it worse.

In case of the latest TouchBar Macbook Pro's, I've even seen the batteryd battery monitor daemon causing CPU spikes every ten minutes. Disabling batteryd was the only solution. Maybe Apple fixed this one. I haven't followed up on that case and haven't heard back from that user.

Now that I use messaging, I have no problems under EC. But there's no docs and very few settings to control it.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:49 AM   #22
Aymara

Yeah, I read about this BatteryD issue.

Thankfully I have one of the „good old“ Macbook Pros ... and only plan to get an iMac, where this doesn‘t seem to be an issue.

Chris
Old 11-03-2018, 05:04 AM   #23
cyrano

The only Macs I haven't seen it happen to, are the Mini and the Mac Pro's...

But these are rare in my sample set. I have only 1 user on a Mac Pro 2013, fi. And he hasn't got any iOS devices and runs on El Capital...
Old 11-03-2018, 05:15 AM   #24
Aymara

As I said, no issues in my MBP, though I have iOS devices and use Lemur over WiFi.

So I‘m a bit anxious to update to a higher MacOS version.

Chris
Old 11-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #25
Robert Randolph

FWIW, I switch reaper installs between Windows and macOS all the time.

I just plop my portable install over and add the executables.

Most VST plugins transfer settings fine when opening projects. It's pretty seamless.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:53 AM   #26
TaylorKing

Quote:

Ooof this did not age well hahaha
TaylorKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #27
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorKing View Post
Ooof this did not age well hahaha
Well, last post in 2018 ;-)

Chris
Old 12-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #28
Twangothan

I've been using a Mac Mini for nearly 10 years and it's been steady as a rock, but I do wish Apple hadn't introduced the Verifying Developers thing. I had some great free plugs which I loved and they just won't load any more because some busy body in Apple decided to take charge of what I run on my computer. I understand the rationale but it should be an option to have this verification. It's my machine after all.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #29
serr

Didn't the brick bug happen shortly after I wrote that rant? They're still soldering in hard drives. Still blacklisting fully compatible hardware. I'd say that sounds undated.

I DO have to admit they seem to be back OS-wise with Monterey. There are remnants of old Apple anyway. New features. Doubles the ram I can install in my 2009 Mac Pro to 256GB and opens up more graphics cards. Wasn't expecting to see anything like that. I still think it's worth keeping watch on their new CPU if they decide to offer not a planned obsolesce build in the near future too.

@Twangothan, the "Allow running apps from anywhere" security option is hidden and a terminal command since a few OS's ago. You can still do what you want in MacOS.

sudo spctl --master-disable
Old 12-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #30
Wallaby

Default Keyboard shordcuts !

OSX is full of keyboard shortcuts,

Command + Q = quit a program.
Most Applications are still working when you only close the window.
You have to quit programs.
Lots of shortcuts are the same in Windows, instead of the control key it's the command key on both sides of the space bar.
Command + P = print , the print dialog window opens.
Everything printable is also exportable as PDF. Making PDF is part of the OSX since begin in 2001 !
Command + shift + 4 = Screenshot tool , drag a diagonal onto desired area of your screen and let the mouse go, it clicks a screenshot JPG to the desktop, great tool !
Most videos and music files don't need a player, the Finder (Explorer) has player inbuilt.
Select the video and hit the space bar (play and pause).
Some videos AVI needs a player, the VLC player is free to download and it is a great tool it plays everything !
OSX is fantastic ! Core Audio and Core Image are part of the Kernel System.
Audio has high priority.
Reaper and DaVinci Resolve turns your computer into a Hollywood production studio !
Stay away from MacKeeper or system cleaner. There is nothing to clean, also hands off of AntiVirus products, thats fake industry.
23 years Macs online all the time, never had a virus or so. Only problems came from downloaded free software like video converters etc.
I also use Safari all the time, with one exception.
The ebanking website of my bank doesn't work proper on Safari. I had to install Chrome for this and it works fine.
Best wishes !
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote