Old 09-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Linux Rocks

dmesg | grep microcode

microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0xa, date = 2018-05-08

The Intel microcode for the Lynnfield i5 finally came down the pipe this month, patching my nine year old CPU against Spectre.

The Windows 7 I have setup on this dual boot machine will NEVER get that fix, and there is no way I'm ever going to run Windows 10.

Linux just keeps getting better and better.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
Snap

Did you ever used Linux live isos to fix and rescue broken Win installs? Try to do the opposite... LOL
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Did you ever used Linux live isos to fix and rescue broken Win installs? Try to do the opposite... LOL
I have never used a Windows disk to fix Linux, but twice I've used live Linux disks to fix Windows.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to give more space from my SSD to Linux. When I setup the dual boot DAW, I thought I would need Windows to have the larger amount of free space.

After installing lots of plugins that I never imagined would work in Linux, I'm down to 8.3GB of free space, and the Windows partition still has 115GB free.

Probably way too dangerous to do something like boot Windows, shrink it's volume, then boot back into Linux and try to add the un-partitioned to the existing Linux volume, if that's even possible.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Now I'm trying to figure out how to give more space from my SSD to Linux. When I setup the dual boot DAW, I thought I would need Windows to have the larger amount of free space.
Yeah, windows partition resizing is annoying. Lots of conflicting info out there. "Just do this", different webpage: "that's unreliable, do this", different webpage: "do this instead", etc etc. Here are a couple threads:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2087466
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-using-gparted

I'm having the opposite issue, where Windows takes up gargantuan amounts of disk space and there isn't enough room left in the partition to install other absolutely gigantic things, like the windows IDE or new plugin versions. With Linux you can offload whole chunks of stuff to other partitions to free up space on /. No such option on windows, AFAIK.

Quote:
Probably way too dangerous to do something like boot Windows, shrink it's volume, then boot back into Linux and try to add the un-partitioned to the existing Linux volume, if that's even possible.
Apparently you can change the windows partition while booted in to it, but you can't do that for the linux side (AFAIK, unless some of the newer file systems allow it); you would boot to a flash drive with a linux ISO burned to it and resize the partition from there. Otherwise, linux is pretty effortless in terms of changing partition sizes (make sure you are changing the partition size, not making a new partition, which would erase the data. And it goes without saying that you would back everything up first.)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

I just rebooted my linux laptop into Windows to test something... and well it's rebooted 3 times installing updates, then it's done, I log in, now it says "we have updates, this might take several minutes..." .. it never ends. I just wanted to do something that would take 3 minutes, now it's 15 and counting. This is a fast laptop, too. Sigh. "Almost there". fuck off.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
SmajjL

Congrats Microsoft, you managed to annoy Justin of all people, i'm impressed.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
mike@overtonedsp

Quote:
I just rebooted my linux laptop into Windows to test something... and well it's rebooted 3 times installing updates...
That sounds all too familiar... and the best that you can hope for is after its done all those updates that you can't opt out of, and its finally finished restarting, that it's - hopefully - just the same as it was before

Last edited by mike@overtonedsp; 09-20-2018 at 04:19 PM.
mike@overtonedsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
clepsydrae

Always heartening to hear when far better programmers than me are as frustrated with it. :-)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #9
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I just rebooted my linux laptop into Windows to test something... and well it's rebooted 3 times installing updates, then it's done, I log in, now it says "we have updates, this might take several minutes..." .. it never ends. I just wanted to do something that would take 3 minutes, now it's 15 and counting. This is a fast laptop, too. Sigh. "Almost there". fuck off.
Just turn them off in services.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Yeah, windows partition resizing is annoying. Lots of conflicting info out there. "Just do this", different webpage: "that's unreliable, do this", different webpage: "do this instead", etc etc. Here are a couple threads:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2087466
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-using-gparted

I'm having the opposite issue, where Windows takes up gargantuan amounts of disk space and there isn't enough room left in the partition to install other absolutely gigantic things, like the windows IDE or new plugin versions. With Linux you can offload whole chunks of stuff to other partitions to free up space on /. No such option on windows, AFAIK.

Apparently you can change the windows partition while booted in to it, but you can't do that for the linux side (AFAIK, unless some of the newer file systems allow it); you would boot to a flash drive with a linux ISO burned to it and resize the partition from there. Otherwise, linux is pretty effortless in terms of changing partition sizes (make sure you are changing the partition size, not making a new partition, which would erase the data. And it goes without saying that you would back everything up first.)
I did shrink the Windows partition initially, when I first setup Linux, and that worked fine. Problem was I only gave 30GB to Linux thinking it would only be used for internet stuff.

Checked out yours and a few other articles and it looks like it is possible to shrink the Windows partition more, and then allocate the un-partitioned space to the existing Linux partition. Still sounds dangerous though!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Just turn them off in services.
I'd like to have the option of updating it when it's convenient...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
clepsydrae

Quote:
Checked out yours and a few other articles and it looks like it is possible to shrink the Windows partition more, and then allocate the un-partitioned space to the existing Linux partition. Still sounds dangerous though!
Yeah, I get you, it's always nerve-wracking to mess with that stuff. I'm most nervous to mess with grub. The whole world of UEFI/non-UEFI, ms-dos partition tables vs gpt, bootloaders and mbr's, bootrepair... always a nightmare for me. Nothing online seems to work, finding good info is like pulling teeth. But it sounds like you've had some success with the hard part (the windows side). I wouldn't be as worried about linux, as long as you know the basics of partition management (e.g. as I said, not overwriting the partition, not changing the UUID somehow, not messing with grub, etc.) And anything that does go wrong on linux can usually be fixed without much pain, as opposed to windows. Just do a partition image before you start. Hell, even reinstalling linux from scratch isn't hard once you go through it (take notes.) Might even be healthy to backup your /home and do a fresh install of linux for the sake of it.

If you don't want to change the linux partition, you can also offload stuff to other (possibly new, possibly existing.) partitions. Not necessarily suggesting this (resizing is probably the easiest option) but if you have some other drive connected you could probably just symlink some directories to somewhere else and save a bunch of room. I have a tight root partition (small SSD shared by windows and linux) and this is what I do. The programs baobab or k4dirstat (if you're on KDE) can give you an idea of what is taking up space (e.g. unused kernels, leftover config files for uninstalled packages, .cache directories, etc.) Sometimes you can free a surprising amount of space. Linux doesn't have a windows order of bloat but it's not without cruft.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #13
vitalker

Quote:
I've completely disabled updates and use utility to download/install them manually.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
Jack Winter

Quote:
+1, IMO this is the most infuriating behaviour of windows..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
Jack Winter

FWIW I've resized ext4 partitions many times using gparted without any problems. I did manage to kill a ntfs partition (windows install) with it though
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
+1, IMO this is the most infuriating behaviour of windows..
So, I read that in Win 10 (I'm still on 8.1, couldn't face the fears of upgrading) you can disable all updates... is it so hard to reenable when you want to upgrade? What's the bottom line on these issues these days?
Old 09-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
So, I read that in Win 10 (I'm still on 8.1, couldn't face the fears of upgrading) you can disable all updates... is it so hard to reenable when you want to upgrade? What's the bottom line on these issues these days?
FWIW, I've always had mine configured to update/restart during inactive hours and I also get a notifications that I can defer (assuming I'm up late). So typically this is a problem I never see - the main exception is say a laptop that has been off long enough that when it boots, it's way past all the deadlines - that can likely be deferred too but it's one of those things where if you forget, it might update unexpectedly.

I'd have to test that in a VM or something to provide more details but on my main DAW it hasn't happened to me - I think it did happen last year on a laptop I booted to do something quickly so that was a little frustrating at the time.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
FWIW I've resized ext4 partitions many times using gparted without any problems. I did manage to kill a ntfs partition (windows install) with it though
Merging the existing 30GB ext4 partition with fresh unpartitioned space taken from Windows, and not hosing the Linux side of the house is my only real concern. I may give it a go this weekend.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #19
clepsydrae

Quote:
Merging the existing 30GB ext4 partition with fresh unpartitioned space taken from Windows, and not hosing the Linux side of the house is my only real concern. I may give it a go this weekend.
AFAIK the thing to watch out for is that the path to the root partition might change; if the UUID is changed (shouldn't be, as I understand it) you'll need to update /etc/fstab to reflect that. /etc/fstab might also not use the UUID: If there are such parts of the system that refer to the root partition with e.g. /dev/sda3, that might change if a partition ahead of it goes away (e.g. if /dev/sda2 is the 30GB partition). AFAIK most grub configs point at UUIDs now, but if I'm wrong, that could need tweaking.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
AFAIK the thing to watch out for is that the path to the root partition might change; if the UUID is changed (shouldn't be, as I understand it) you'll need to update /etc/fstab to reflect that. /etc/fstab might also not use the UUID: If there are such parts of the system that refer to the root partition with e.g. /dev/sda3, that might change if a partition ahead of it goes away (e.g. if /dev/sda2 is the 30GB partition). AFAIK most grub configs point at UUIDs now, but if I'm wrong, that could need tweaking.
I now have 102.2GB of free SSD on the Linux side of the house.

Windows OTOH is left with a measly 15GB.

It all went pretty smooth, resizing Windows by close to 90GB, rebooting to a live Linux DVD, running gparted and adding a new *front* to a back half that was the original Linux partition.

This did in fact warn that shit was going to change, and system might not boot, but I had my kid over, who's an Arch aficionado, and right after allocating the new beginning to the partition, he made a few tweaks to things, rebooted, and both OS's boot fine.

Just the majority of unused space on the SSD is now available to Linux.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #21
Win Conway

Quote:
The exact reason i am keeping a Linux install on a small laptop running Reaper, need to get used to it because Windows gets worse for random updates on each big release.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #22
SmajjL

Not only Rock, it EDMs also!
My Linux usage/uptime have neeever been this much, did not expect that some time ago, but I am a dual booter still though.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote