Old 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #1
Yorky
Human being with feelings

Default Emagic AMT8 USB driver for Windows 10

Hi Reaperites,

I've done my first level of searches without success so I'd be grateful for some guidance please?

Does any have a usb driver that works in W10 for the Emagic AMT8 - 8 in 8 out midi interface please?

It appears to my limited looks so far that the answer is probably "no" however, a registry hack may work?

Any pointers most gratefully anticipated - Cheers!

Yorky
Yorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
egoplasma

If you have an answer please let me also know!!!
egoplasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Yorky

Default Some progress?

I've located this compressed file http://puretone.nl/files/AMT8.rar as described on https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...drivers-2.html. Not seeing the attached device on my machine just yet but off to try to locate the registry hack I saw yesterday and didn't copy to my favs :{

Will post my outcomes as I find.

Not sure if there is a sticky thread on the forum but an obsolescent gear thread on here or in the stash would be of value I would have thought?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:15 AM   #4
LugNut

Hi,
Man if you can get it to work in 64 bit anything windows I would buy you a case of beer. That's one of the reasons I'm still on xp.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
mucknog

The amt8 is awesome, I have one, too
You won't be able to get those drivers running in Windows 7+.
What you can do, and what I am currently doing, is running a VirtualBox with WindowsXP to configure the interface and then use it as a stand alone merger box.
Greetz
Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
LugNut

Yep, its the 64 bit thing. Someone got it working with 7 32 bit if I'm not mistaken. I've got 2 of them.
Its apple buying emagic that got me to dump macs.
It would take maybe one day to put the drivers out. Also, look what they did with Sound diver. I used macs for almost20 years.
Had a dual boot Mac..mirrored door..ran os 9 and 10 natively. Was using logic 6.x. When they came out with logic 7 they dropped os 9 support.
I ran a test with same song same plug in with 9 and 10. I dropped macs like a hot potato. Any time they want, they make you buy new hardware....sound like Pro tools?
F em.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
cyrano

If these work in a similar manner as the EMI audio interfaces, this isn't a driver, but a firmware loader.

I've used the EMI audio interfaces for years after they became obsolete. Just extract the firmware from the installer package and install tftp for your OS. Since you can probably get a 64 bit tftp utility, the rest doesn't matter as it is the firmware for the FPGA in the AMT8. Just redirect from ethernet to the correct USB port and reboot.

Just don't ask how to do this on Windows. Haven't touched the stuff in many years now
Old 05-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #8
LugNut

Hi,
Thanks Cyrano, but these aren't obsolete, and I doubt its not a driver.
These work fine in macos right now because apple made a driver for them.
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but its all rosey until they come for YOU.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #9
Yorky

Hi Lugnut,

Its been awhile since I put any energy into this thread re the AMT8 and nearly a year ago you offered a case of beer if I could get it working?

Recently, I've been testing out the Linux pre alpha builds of Reaper on a Raspberry Pi 3b+. Amazingly, to my surprise and joy, it looks as though there may be light at the end of this tunnel?

I can now see the AMT8 in the midi devices config window and can enable/disable ports. I haven't gone further yet to hook up a midi device however, my initial test looks encouraging enough to me to keep me motivated towards my goal. I've yet to hook the Pi back to another host [my lappy] but I'm sure there are ways and means. I've looked at utilising CopperLAN but to date their Linux development has yet to materialise.

The remote web interface also works exactly as before. One project I have is for a small and very portable recording rig for acoustic jams that's easy to use and bomb proof. It might all be phooey but then again....

So here's to my virtual pint!

Hope this AMT8 info helps someone else?

Cheers
Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #10
cyrano

I suspect it has nothing to do with 64 bit processing, but with MS dropping MIDI class drivers, just like they dropped Audio class USB drivers.

The AMT8 just works on both Linux and OSX, with the built-in drivers. A few users I support have been buying these MIDI interfaces as Windows users are throwing them out.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #11
Yorky

Hi Cyrano,

Yes I was musing over something in that area. The Pi is a 64 bit device I believe? so driver support related issues seem the more logical area. If W10 users continue to launch any out I might try to pick up another unit if I can. Cheers
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
cyrano

Thesycon provides a USB2 Audio class driver for Windows. Not free, I believe it's 60€:

https://thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtml

That seems to do MIDI too and my brain seems to remember it works with the AMT8. Since the AMT8 is fabulous hardware, it might be worth the investment. There's a free 60 days demo, so check it out!

It also seems MS launched a USB2 Audio class driver in 2017, according to Computer Audiophile:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...ait-what-r647/

Does it include MIDI? Might be worth trying out. No ASIO, though, only WASAPI. And I think the AMT8 is USB1.1?

Also, here are MS docs about USB2 AC:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-audio-drivers

Quote:
This USB Audio 2.0 class driver was developed by Thesycon...
Apparently, MS is too busy to develop this?

According to MS, it should just work, even with UAC 1.1 gear:

Quote:
USB Audio 2.0 Devices with MIDI (subclass 0x03 above) will enumerate the MIDI function as a separate multi-function device with usbaudio.sys (USB Audio 1.0 driver) loaded.
But only with WDMA. Is that WASAPI?

Anyhow, as a simple Mac user, my head's spinning already
Old 09-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
beingmf

Yes, some years ago I made it work with VirtualBox and a virtual Midi port, but it's a PITA to set up and to run on an everyday basis. Get a Steinberg Midex and everything's fine - at least on 7.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #14
LugNut

Hi,
Way to go yorky!
I sent that case, but I knew it worked on Linux. Raspberry pi huh?
A gent from gearslutz talked to the guy that orig did the driver...I'm thinking Mr Hayden....and he said he could do it easily if apple said OK. That was years ago. Fkn apple.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
BIAM

I've got the AMT8+Focusrite 2i2 working in Reaper on raspberry pi4/4gb ubuntu 20.10 64bit
BIAM is offline   Reply With Quote