Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Does anyone know of a FREE EQ VST with a preset in it for an electric piano?

If so can you please let me know!

Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
mschnell

Why not ask "Does anybody know an EQ setting recommended for Electric Piano? " ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
sjs94704

Well, OK then. I am using the MEqualizer from Melda Productions that has 6 I guess are called bands.

How would you configure the EQ?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
Calaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Well, OK then. I am using the MEqualizer from Melda Productions that has 6 I guess are called bands.

How would you configure the EQ?
I think it really depends on the song and what kind of sound you are going for. Just dive in and mess with it until you like it! You won’t break anything. Plus you’ll learn how that particular EQ works 👍
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:39 AM   #5
DarkStar

I reckon that it very unlikely that you will find an EQ VST with a preset in it for an electric piano that suits what you want to do with your particular electric piano (hardware or software?). And what happens when you want to change the sound a bit - search for another preset?

I strongly recommend that you look into using / adjusting an EQ yourself to shape your sound to what you want. While the MeldaProduction user manuals are not to everyone's taste there are loads of tutorials and videos around. And the good thing is, once you have got to grips with EQ using a plug-in you can apply many of those principles to EQs from other developers.

Here is one source:
https://www.soundonsound.com/search/articles/Equalising

Last edited by DarkStar; 09-19-2018 at 04:38 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:07 AM   #6
Jason Lyon

EPs can be shaped a fair amount in the mix, but the fundamental tone is in the instrument. For instance, all Rhodes sound differently gritty, all EPs sound differently chimey and all "stage pianos" sound differently boingy. You can't just take a recording of one and make it sound like another.

They also have to be played with a different touch - you can't take a MIDI performance on a Rhodes sample and transplant it to an EP. In that regard, they are actually very different instruments - I can't stand it when people say I play "keyboards"... What do you play then? "Fretboards"?

If you're concerned about how it sits in the mix, your first option of course is volume level. Then you can try the following "quick and dirty" method:
Decide whether it's too prominent and clashing with something else or whether you want it more prominent.
Create a new EQ band with a broad Q (ie a wide "valley" or "hill" - you'll see it in ReaEQ's display) and set it to "valley" if too prominent or "hill" if not prominent enough.
Sweep it around the frequency range until you get roughly what you want.
Play around with the size and shape of the "hill" or "valley".

I would have to say though that cheap karaoke MP3s are unlikely to feature terrific sounding samples. You may not get much improvement, and if you're boosting parts of the spectrum you might even wind up emphasising the flaws.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:18 AM   #7
fred garvin

Probably no two people here would EQ any given track quite the same way, and even simple general guidelines need to be adjusted by ear to the track or you're just painting in the dark. So much better and easier in the long run to experiment with EQ a little and learn how -you- like things EQed.

Here's how I'd EQ any track:

If you have a 6 band EQ, the first and last bands are likely going to be "shelf" bands that affect all content below or above a certain point. These are like "bass" and "treble" knobs on a stereo. Adjust to taste. Be careful of big adjustments, they will often cause problems later or indicate problems that would be better remedied in other ways, e.g. maybe revoicing a part higher rather than adding a lot of high EQ. I try not to adjust anything much more than 3 db. At this point I likely might be boosting the highs 1-3 db and boosting or cutting lows in the same range.

You now hopefully like the overall character and balance of the sound, but would like to make some further changes. I for instance usually hate 3k lol and will usually take 1-3 db of 3k out of almost anything, but that's just me.

But how did I learn that? The basic technique to identify frequencies to adjust is the "sweep". There are 3 basic elements of an EQ adjustment: frequency; gain, the amount of cut or boost; and width or "Q", which is the "slope" or range or width of the frequencies affected. So, say you've got a singer with an annoying tone in his voice, which you'd like to do something about. Pick an EQ band, probably next to highest for this case. Set the boost or cut (although I want to cut, it's sometimes more effective to use boost to identify the frequency) fairly high, maybe 6 to 9 db. Set the Q to a medium narrow setting, maybe a half octave or a bit less. So now looking at the EQ curve, we have a big ugly spike sticking up or down in it. Play the track and use the frequency control to sweep across the frequencies. If the effect of the EQ isn't obvious try more gain or wider Q. Take your time, it's easy to miss things if you rush. Do this until you find the vocal "honk" or whatever and can exaggerate or reduce it, should be pretty easy. Then refine the adjustments to get the effect you want with the smallest amount of EQ, less is almost always better. Generally cutting is better than boosting if you can, e.g. if you have a track that's a bit muddy, try cutting some low midrange rather than adding a lot of highs. Repeat as necessary.

In any given track I EQ, you'll likely find a little high shelf boost, a little low shelf boost or cut or maybe a rolloff (a rolloff is a more aggressive adjustment intended to remove most or all content above or below a chosen frequency), some kind of more specific bass bump or low mid adjustment, a little cut at 3k lol, and maybe a little bump around 5-6k. Assuming no real problems that would need more specific adjustments. You'll probably end up EQing completely different, as does the next guy, and that's all just fine.

Also there are lots of EQ charts and lists out there, just google if you like, that say things like "To add sparkle to your track, boost at 12k" but these are best used as starting points to do sweeps to find what your track in particular needs. Use your ears, and trust them.

Hope this helps, good luck, have fun!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
sjs94704

Thanks to all who responded so far. Just remember, this started because of the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Why not ask "Does anybody know an EQ setting recommended for Electric Piano? " ?

-Michael
As I previously stated that I was wondering if there was a FREE EQ that has a preset for an electric piano?

If you look at ReaEQ, it has a whole list of presets. I also have MEqualizer from Melda Productions that has a whole list of presets as well. Neither one of these EQ VSTs seem to have a preset that is designed for an electric piano and is the reason I'm looking for one that does!

Often times when I ask questions, the responses I get is, "Well, it depends on what kind of sound your trying to go for". This is extremely frustrating! It is my opinion that people out there need to keep in mind that when questions like this are being asked, the person asking does not yet always know what kind of sound they are going for and are just looking for guidance and suggestions of things to try or consider. There might just be a way to get a sound that turns out to be significantly better than the person origionally thought they were looking for in the first place.

Isn't music mixing itself very dynamic in the first place and open to experimentation and exploration?

So, here's the answer:

Once I find an EQ preset for an electric piano and see how that actually sounds, I can then decide if there is any adjustments necessary to achieve my goals! At the moment I am unsure of what all the settings and adjustments are that I should consider in order to do it on my own and is the reason I'm looking for a preset to help me with a starting point!

So, any suggestions of something I can use as a starting point?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Goldreap

The starting point is no EQ. Then you can adjust things. There's no "one fits all" preset...that would be like putting the cart before the horse.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
The starting point is no EQ. Then you can adjust things. There's no "one fits all" preset...that would be like putting the cart before the horse.
I give up ............. Nevermind .....
Old 09-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
Goldreap

I was just trying to explain succinctly a way to re-think this.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #12
bobobo

need somethng to play ?
save this as ReqEQ Rhodes varia 1 Freq.RfxChain , put it REAPER's FXchain Folders and load it (as chain o.c)
the volume for the 3 tab is ruled by the freq of the first tab (param automation)
rising the freq will raise the volume, lowering will lower volume.
There are some fixed and wandering cuts which i found to be neat with
my Rhodes

Code:
BYPASS 0 0
<VST "VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)" reaeq.dll 0 "" 1919247729
  cWVlcu5e7f4CAAAAAQAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAIAAAABAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAAAAAACwEAAAEAAAAAABAA
  IQAAAAcAAAAHAAAAAQAAAJpNy5+69bBAm+21oPfGsD4FAAAAAAAQQAEIAAAAAQAAAL78FcO69bBAAKkmdQEk0z+TwvUoXI/iPwEAAAAAAQAAAP//////b9dA/v///1dz
  AkADAAAAAAAAQAEEAAAAAQAAAP///////1NABQAAAAAA8D8LAAAAAAD8PwEDAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAWMtAAwAAAAAA8D8LAAAAAAD8PwEIAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAWKtAdVHW
  zm2A2T+qm8QgsHLYPwEIAAAAAQAAAP//////z4RAtx6VVgNZ4z9DCtejcD3qPwEBAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAPA/AAAAAA8CAABhAQAA
  AAAQAAAA
>
<PROGRAMENV 7 0
  PARAMBASE 0.176
  LFO 0
  LFOWT 1 1
  AUDIOCTL 0
  AUDIOCTLWT 1 1
  PLINK 0.82 1:0 0 -0.27
>
<PROGRAMENV 3 0
  PARAMBASE 0
  LFO 0
  LFOWT 1 1
  AUDIOCTL 0
  AUDIOCTLWT 1 1
  PLINK 1 1:0 0 0
>
WAK 0

Last edited by bobobo; 09-19-2018 at 07:49 PM.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
sjs94704

OK, this is my last attempt to be as clear as I can! Beyond this I am at a total loss at what more I can say!

Before I get any answers back from this point, I don't always know "the sound I'm going for", nor am I looking for a "one size fits all" VST preset and is the reason for the question in the first place and I simply want to see what FREE EQ VST that includes presets any of you have used that you like that you think would provide a place to start so I can try it out to see if it works for my needs... So, there is no need to reply saying, "It depends on the sound your looking for".... Getting this answer to ANY question on this website to me is counter productive because it is my opinion that people would not be asking the questions they are asking if they did know the sound they are going for! It is my opinion that people are looking for suggestions of things they can experiment with vs. knowing in advance what they want!

On the issue of EQing. Once again, if you look at most EQ VSTs, they include multiple presets for different instruments.

I am a singer. I get pre-recorded music and each song includes each individual instrument on a separate track. While the website says that there is already EQing and other VSTs applied to each track, what I am discovering is that if I start adding different VSTs including EQ that when I do that they dramatically improve the sound of the tracks.

When it comes to presets on EQ, I have very little experience in EQing on my own and while I might be interested in learning it, I just don't want to get to deep into it quite yet. I have several songs, about 100, that I have purchased and downloaded and my goal is to, as best as I can, to go through each song and apply whatever VSTs I can in advance and get the music itself sounding the way I can as best as possible starting with applying the presets I have available in order to improve the overall sound of each song as best as possible. Then I can go through each song and record myself singing and post them on my www.AudioMack.com channel to share my music with family and friends.

At the moment I want to as I said do at least SOME VST treatment but don't want to get too hung up it for now so I can focus on recording myself singing.

To me, it stands to reason that if the ReaEQ and my Melda Productions EQ have presets as well as so many others have presets, for example I have them for BASS guitar, Electric guitar, and each individual part of a drum set. There is also a MASTERING STARTER preset that helps to get started with setting the EQ bands/levels (whatever you call it) for mastering that it does not sound too outrageous to think that there might be one for an electric piano.

So, since the EQ VSTs I have do not happen to have an existing preset for an electric piano, ALL I asked was if anyone knows of one that does! I find that most of the time, the presets I do have are just fine the way they are and don't require much in the way of adjustments.

So, short of learning to EQ from scratch on my own since I'm not ready to do that yet ... suggestions?

Last edited by sjs94704; 09-19-2018 at 08:17 PM.
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #14
Jason Lyon

I think the consensus so far is that there aren't any presets for your specific purpose - or rather, that nobody seems to know of any. But instead of just not replying or just saying "nope", people have taken the time to offer suggestions that require a bit of hands-on work with EQ.

You often seem to post asking how to achieve complex results by simple means and that is rarely possible. Quite often I don't think you're aware of how complex the goals you're trying to achieve are, so people do try to explain - we're not trying to blind you with science or show off. And please don't get exasperated when well-meaning people suggest things that by necessity involve more complexity that you want to deal with.

Have you tried using an electric guitar preset? Could be worth a shot - there are some broad similarities in tone and range.

In any event, keep at it. We're all of us learning all the time.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:35 AM   #15
jrk

Ask yourself, what is a EQ preset? It's a bunch of settings on an eq that someone has chosen to *label* "electric piano" or whatever. It probably worked really well for what they were doing, but they've probably not heard the piano that you're using and they can't have heard the mix you're trying to achieve.

ReaEQ by default gives you a low shelf, a couple of bands and a high shelf. As it stands, that wouldn't be a terrible place to start. You could call that a preset for *Everything*, but you'd probably want to fiddle with it for *anything* in particular. Just like any other built-in preset.

Remember that great sounds were always† (back in the day) made with not much in the way of eq. Low / high shelves and a couple of sweep mids is all you really need.

Now, listen to the piano in context.
Are the bass notes to much? Not enough? look at that low shelf.
Does the mix sound too "full"? Piano murky? Not full enough? Look at the low mid.
Piano not defined enough? Or too much of the tine sound? The higher band. Maybe drag it up to 3kHz.
Overall brightness? The high shelf.

Now save it as a preset, call it "e-piano", and bingo! a preset for e-piano in a free (or at least, bundled) EQ.

[EDIT]
†ok, more often than not. Also, I'm not saying that eq wasn't used a lot, just not like 11 bands of fully paramentric... oh you know what I mean.

Last edited by jrk; 09-20-2018 at 03:45 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:37 AM   #16
MusicMan74

Answer to OP's question is 'no', but maybe this would help:

http://blog.sonicbids.com/the-ultima...mon-instrument
(scroll down to 'Electric Piano (Rhodes)' section)

Last edited by MusicMan74; 09-20-2018 at 03:39 AM. Reason: remove bad image link
MusicMan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:03 AM   #17
DarkStar

Here's a few more links. You could set up the suggestions quite easily in MEqualizer:

https://recording.org/threads/eq-a-digital-piano.22178/
https://collaborateworship.com/keys-eq/
https://www.virtualmixengineer.com/p...-e-pianos-mix/

Also, which electric piano are you using? What's wrong with the sound?
Old 09-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #18
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan74 View Post
Answer to OP's question is 'no', but maybe this would help:

http://blog.sonicbids.com/the-ultima...mon-instrument
(scroll down to 'Electric Piano (Rhodes)' section)
Perfect Answer! This was all I was hoping for from the beginning! That's it!
Thank You, MusicMan!

Jason:

I read your comments and I understand what you're saying and appreciate it very much.

However, like I said just a few posts ago ...... I give up!

For me, it is just not worth the drama and stress I get from all the accusations of wanting to try to achieve some pie in the sky this or that, whatever it is ..... From my point of view, I never have intended to do so from the day I started asking questions here!!

Most of my questions were out of curiosity rather than attempting to be a PRO DJ or music mixer by tomorrow afternoon!!

Moving forward, I will be continuing to watch videos on YouTube by Kenny Gioia and other popular guys and just do the best I can with what I learn there!

Beyond that, I truly feel there is nothing more I can do ........

For me, trying to get information here is becoming increasingly unpleasant!
Old 09-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #19
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Here's a few more links. You could set up the suggestions quite easily in MEqualizer:

https://recording.org/threads/eq-a-digital-piano.22178/
https://collaborateworship.com/keys-eq/
https://www.virtualmixengineer.com/p...-e-pianos-mix/

Also, which electric piano are you using? What's wrong with the sound?
Also a perfect answer! Thank You!

There is nothing wrong with the sound. All I know is that by putting some EQ on my pre-recorded track it helps to enhance the sound in most instances quite a bit!

That's it!
Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #20
jrk

Quote:
Am I the only one who prefers the 'before' sound?
Old 09-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #21
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
Am I the only one who prefers the 'before' sound?
Especially the saturation destroys a lot of the native sound and the feeling.

-Michael
Old 09-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
serr

Asking for an EQ preset is like asking someone else how loud you should set your volume control for your preferred listening level.

You have to tell someone what you think is wrong with the sound and ask for advice on EQ'ing! Every scenario is different and there's no way to predict it.

Sure, there are a few common things. Rolling off sub-bass in a vocal mic. Pulling midrange out of drum overheads - but now, even this one is ambiguous!

Experiment with EQ if you aren't immediately sure where the problem is.
Roll off all the lows... was it somewhere in there?
Roll off all the highs... or was it somewhere in there?
Make a big midrange cut and move it back and forth in frequency... find it yet?

Now hone in on the specific offender to refine that EQ cut.

If the problem is in the bass range, try pulling up a low pass to isolate JUST the bass range to help you focus. It can be easier to pick out the problem with your ear when there isn't a lot of other stuff going on.

Or try pulling up a band pass EQ. Sweep it back and forth in frequency and try to hone in on JUST the offending frequency. Now switch back to normal and pull some of that frequency out.

If you didn't notice the pattern yet in those tips, look for what's in the way to cut instead of looking for what's missing to turn up. It's intuitive to identify what's missing in the sound and what you want to hear louder. Flip it in your head to looking for what's getting in the way that you need to cut.

Put your wallet away and pull up ReaEQ and experiment.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #23
sjs94704

Serr:

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to offer the information you did, BUT, at this point I consider the matter closed!

With Gratitude,

SJS, Berkeley, CA
Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #24
mschnell

Quote:
BUT, at this point I consider the matter closed!
Not wanting to seem rude, but this is not an appropriate statement in a public discussion forum. Forum messages are not just provided for dedicatedly supporting a single original poster, but always meant as a discussion contribution for the benefit of the community (including oneself).

-Michael
Old 09-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #25
sjs94704

Quote:
Not wanting to seem rude, but this is not an appropriate statement in a public discussion forum. Forum messages are not just provided for dedicatedly supporting a single original poster, but always meant as a discussion contribution for the benefit of the community (including oneself).

-Michael
Say whatever you want! Like I said ... I give up!
Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #26
Not_Here

oooooooh.. say what ever I like?

Dude it would be sooooo much easier if you would just do things for yourself, instead of looking for others to provide a preset to "alter" your pre-produced music tracks.

There is no such thing as making it "better" with some magic preset. That's not reality when it comes to music. Period. Ask any musician if they can ever play the same thing twice exactly the same... Never happens.
Same with using a preset that was made to generally fit some Pre-determined "sound". What you hear on your system will NOT be what somebody else hears on their system. renedering your preset useless except for altering the sound on your system.
SO, why ask these questions? You could have VERY EASILY entered your question into Google 1st and saw there are 100's of choices that fit your criteria.
No, you have to come here and asked baited questions, you know damn well are going to involve some sort of effort on your part. But, you're not ready to hear that yet, so as they - Push on.
You could have so much more knowledge, provided freely, at your fingertips, if you would first come here willing to listen.

As you said - "Say whatever you want! Like I said ... I give up!"

Your very nature in some of your dialogues seems to conflict with that signature you have.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:59 AM   #27
Jason Lyon

Quote:
For me, trying to get information here is becoming increasingly unpleasant!
That's a great shame. This is one of the best community support forums I think I've ever encountered. In fact, an often unmentioned strength of REAPER is this forum. When I was starting out here I asked some embarrassingly dumb questions that people answered very quickly. Just about everyone around here is helpful, patient and good-natured. They also all remember when they didn't know.

An awful lot of people have gone out of their way to help you over the past few months. I for one will continue to try to help, but please don't get snappy.

I'm not a moderator, but I'm sure everyone else would agree that you're still welcome here. All the advice I've read above has been well-intentioned and most of it very useful. Don't take things so personally.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #28
serr

How does that saying go again?

Give a man an eq "preset" and he'll get confused why it doesn't work like the Youtube video said. Teach a man how to EQ and he'll mix his album.

Or something like that.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #29
fred garvin

Quote:

-Michael
^ This. Things often go a little sideways in a thread, all part of the fun/learning experience, sometimes you get more than you asked for, sometimes other people get things too. In that spirit, I'd like to thank the OP for bringing the marvelous free Melda EQ to my attention. I've been looking for a substitute/complement for the also marvelous Voxengo Overtone EQ which is amazing but a bit limited, and along comes sjs with the MEQ, which is very well featured for a free EQ including extensive harmonics features! Super easy to do really neat stuff, like add octave and 5th harmonics for a cool glassy high end enhancement. I think I'm gonna use this a lot. Thanks again!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #30
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
^ This. Things often go a little sideways in a thread, all part of the fun/learning experience, sometimes you get more than you asked for, sometimes other people get things too. In that spirit, I'd like to thank the OP for bringing the marvelous free Melda EQ to my attention. I've been looking for a substitute/complement for the also marvelous Voxengo Overtone EQ which is amazing but a bit limited, and along comes sjs with the MEQ, which is very well featured for a free EQ including extensive harmonics features! Super easy to do really neat stuff, like add octave and 5th harmonics for a cool glassy high end enhancement. I think I'm gonna use this a lot. Thanks again!
Interesting...

How does their harmonic feature work? Is it something other than just doing the math for you to find the harmonic band you're looking for? Looking at it on their webpage and the GUI is outright garish!

I just want ReaEQ with a linear phase option.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #31
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Interesting...

How does their harmonic feature work? Is it something other than just doing the math for you to find the harmonic band you're looking for? Looking at it on their webpage and the GUI is outright garish!

I just want ReaEQ with a linear phase option.
You do know that you can use ReaFir in a linear phase capacity? Turn on Reduce Artifacts to get started.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 AM   #32
DarkStar

^^^
It's all very flexible; you can select:
-- the maximum number of harmonics,
-- which harmonics are enabled (in the screenshot I disabled the second one),
-- the frequency interval of the harmonics (in semitones),
-- the (tapering) % gain.

Some of the GUI Styles are an acquired taste
Old 09-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #33
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
You do know that you can use ReaFir in a linear phase capacity? Turn on Reduce Artifacts to get started.
I apparently DON'T know how to use ReaFIR because the only thing I've ever gotten out of it is severe audio degradation! I thought it must just be a very crude broadband NR type device. Only thing in Reaper-land that's made me go "huh?"

I like the straight forward no bs of ReaEQ. And I like using parameter modulation with it to turn it into a bionic multiband dynamic EQ when needed. That can feel like cheating sometimes! I tend to only make cuts with EQ. Very rarely a tiny boost. I pull out the distortion box when I want distortion.

Last edited by serr; 09-23-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #34
Goldreap

BTW Serr, see in DarkStar's pic the linear button top right of the HARMONICS panel... that changes the harmonics of a base frequency of (say) 100Hz from 200Hz, 400Hz, 800Hz etc to 200Hz, 300Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz etc.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:39 AM   #35
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
BTW Serr, see in DarkStar's pic the linear button top right of the HARMONICS panel... that changes the harmonics of a base frequency of (say) 100Hz from 200Hz, 400Hz, 800Hz etc to 200Hz, 300Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz etc.
Lots of accolades for this one around here. Guess I'll have to try it!
(I assume it can do cuts as well.)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #36
DarkStar

Yep, just pull the band's Gain down below 0

And the Style is Excitonium_DS, based on the stock Titanium.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...f=138&t=497947

Last edited by DarkStar; 09-23-2018 at 07:53 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #37
serr

Quote:
Yep, just pull the band's Gain down below 0
Heh, sorry. Saw those boosts in the pic and couldn't help thinking "whoa!"
Old 09-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #38
Goldreap

And wait..there's more...a negative depth (the harmonics button) will make alternate harmonics have positive and negative gains and is particularly useful for creative effects.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #39
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I apparently DON'T know how to use ReaFIR because the only thing I've ever gotten out of it is severe audio degradation! I thought it must just be a very crude broadband NR type device. Only thing in Reaper-land that's made me go "huh?"

I like the straight forward no bs of ReaEQ. And I like using parameter modulation with it to turn it into a bionic multiband dynamic EQ when needed. That can feel like cheating sometimes! I tend to only make cuts with EQ. Very rarely a tiny boost. I pull out the distortion box when I want distortion.
I'm with you pretty much entirely there. Not exactly sold on the need for linear phase anyway, to be frank. I was, as they say, just sayin.

Personally, if I have a noise problem I'd rather load up and go and re-record it properly than try to "dalek" the background out. But I've found that ReaFir can be used for a lot more than just "daleking".
Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #40
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
I'm with you pretty much entirely there. Not exactly sold on the need for linear phase anyway, to be frank. I was, as they say, just sayin.

Personally, if I have a noise problem I'd rather load up and go and re-record it properly than try to "dalek" the background out. But I've found that ReaFir can be used for a lot more than just "daleking".
I use linear phase EQ for parallel work. Let's you work in "layers" when that speaks to you. Noise reduction needing work is more restoration of troubled recordings from the past here. Izotope RX is my goto for that.