Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
Corpus
Human being with feelings

Default Connecting Line 6 HD500X to reaper

Hello all. I seriously have no idea what I am doing wrong here. I had my guitar connected through my HD500X no problem to reaper a while ago now I can not get it to work to save my life.

My major challenge was getting my Roland TD12 kit to trigger EZdrummer 2 in Reaper.. I finally after giving up a few times got it working.. I swear I had did the same thing that finally worked over and over many many times..... Go figure...

Now I can't get any levels from my HD500X into Reaper???. Just like connecting the Vdrums I go into the input MIDI but instead of selecting the M-Audio MIDISport Uno to connect the Vdrums I select the Line 6 POD HD500X and get ZERO input.

I can't find a walk through online either.

Thank you for any help to solve this for me.
Corpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
Winfield

Hi there,
If you want to record your guitar, then it is not midi input but audio input - go to prefs and select device, then select the line6 input.

Perhaps i misred your post?
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Byron Dickens

You need to use an audio input to record audio.
Byron Dickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Corpus

Hi Again. So I managed to get the Roland TD12 kit to to tigger EZdrummer 2 in reaper which worked good. Then I tried to get my guitar to work Via a Line 6 POD HD500X which then lost the drum functionality. I can't seem to get it back. and the guitar is so ridden with latency it is not possible to record. How to set up the guitar in reaper?

Not sure what to do here.

How to properly connect the TD12 kit and use EZdrummer 2 with it in reaper to record?? Very Confused to say the least.

1. So far I connect the TD12 with a M-Audio MIDISPORT Uno interface.
(So a MIDI to USB connector.)
I see the connector in the input so I make the Connection.

Then I add EZdrummer 2 VSTi plugin.

I am using the ASIO4ALL v2 driver so in Options/preferences/Device I direct the path to ASIO in the Audio System and the driver as ASIO4ALL v2.

I can get the drums to work if I click them with the mouse on the computer but can't get them to work playing them to trigger with EZdrummer 2 in reaper. I did once but don't know what I did.

Let's see if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

Thank you
CM
Old 01-29-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
Winfield

Hi there,

this might be your problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
I am using the ASIO4ALL v2 driver
Instead use the (asio) driver for the pod.

-W
Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
Corpus

Hey man, thank you for checking in. Yes that worked for getting levels but I can't hear any play back. I enabled "Record Monitoring" with no luck what so ever. Once I get this to monitor I think I have the basics to work here.

Thanks again.

CM

Last edited by Corpus; 01-30-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #7
Corpus

So I can record nice and clear guitar sound but can't get any monitoring until I switch back the ASIO4ALL driver. Need to figure out how to monitor as I record.

CM

Last edited by Corpus; 02-02-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Corpus

So I can get signal in to reaper via my HD500x. I see the level indicators showing I am getting signal but I can't seem to turn on monitoring? Not sure what I am doing wrong here?

Any Ideas what I need to do here to enable monitoring as I record. Been trying to find a video on this in the videos section on this website but thus far have not found anything.

Any help would be golden.

Thank you all
CM
Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
Winfield

Are you using the 'monitoring button' on the track in reaper?
- described here at 0:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeuP7q4ls3Y
-W
Old 02-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
solger

Quote:
So I can record nice and clear guitar sound but can't get any monitoring until I switch back the ASIO4ALL driver.
In case Winfield's post above doesn't solve the problem:

What exactly are you using for monitoring (speakers or headphones)? And where are they connected to?

Because if you're using the ASIO driver of the HD500x, you'll have to connect the speakers/headphones directly to the HD500x ...

And when using ASIO4ALL with two different audio devices for input & output: make sure that the right in/outputs are activated in the ASIO4ALL Panel first: https://www.image-line.com/support/F...s_asio4all.htm
And then select the correct in/outputs also in Reaper's Preferences.

Last edited by solger; 02-02-2018 at 03:16 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #11
Corpus

Hey Winfield and solger, thanks so much for piping in here.

So this is my set up. Let's just say I have a plenty fast newer computer. Just using onboard realtek HD audio for sound though. What would be a better option for audio recording then simply using onboard audio. This seems like a poor way of doing thing....

anyway..

I have a Roland TD12 kit connected to the computer via an M-Audio MIDISPORT UNO connector.. MIDI to USB. I have EZdrummer 2 as my plugin. Figured that out in Reaper to simply add a virtual Instrument On New Track.. This took forever!!! But after hours of searching the forums came across my Golden thread!! Love how all the drums get their own track just like recording an acoustic kit. Question!!! Is this the correct way to record VDrums? Seems like the best way to me. But I am not sure. I use the ASIO4ALLv2 driver for this.

Now as for my guitar. I am running the Line 6 POD HD500X guitar effects processor plugged into my Mesa Dual Rec and 4*12 cab and out of the USB of the HD500X to my computer. Here's what weirds me out. Like you said solger being that I am running the ASIO driver of the HD500X the audio playback comes out of my guitar cab being that it is connected to my computer. This threw me off as I was expecting the same output as the ASIO4ALLv2 driver which is... When I have the input set to the ASIO4ALLv2 the playback is directed to the 1/8 inch audio output jack of my computer (which I think utilizes the REALTEK HD Audio of the computer. ?? Yes?) Then out of my computer to my home stereo which is connected to Bose 301's.

Not sure the what a better set up would be here. One which the audio playback is directed to monitors not out my speaker cab of my guitar. Can I route the sound in my HD500X to play out my computer in to my stereo? Probably not because the ASIO driver is in use while recording guitars... So confusing. ARG!!!!!

Corpus
Old 02-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
Corpus

How do you get guitar plugins like in that monitoring Reaper tutorial?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
Winfield

I don't have personal experience with the POD hd500, but this is my guess on how you could set it up.

The POD will effectively be the (usb)-soundcard - and prefferebly used with the line 6 driver (download the line 6 updater to get the newest and correct driver). The POD should be connected to the computer via USB - not with any other cables between pod and puter.

From the pod you connect the outputs (or the phono) to your preffered speakers/home stereo/heaphones.

In Reaper you choose the line 6 asio as audio in & out.

(line 6 updater: https://line6.com/software/?submit=S...Line+6+Updater)

Also - Running the pod to the guitar-amplifier has no influence on the recorded sound.

-W
Old 02-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
Winfield

Quote:
This is one of my own favorites for high gain-ish
https://www.kuassa.com/products/amplifikation-creme/

This is one free sample:
https://www.kuassa.com/products/amplifikation-lite/

-W
Old 02-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #15
solger

Quote:
You can find some guitar plugin options here:

- https://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...vstau-plugins/
- https://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...-plugins-2017/ (see the 'Free Guitar FX VST Plugins' section further down the page)
- http://masters-of-music.com/list-of-...itar-amp-sims/

Just as a general side note: there aren't any plugins loaded on the Track in the Video Tutorial linked in post #9. So in this case he's most likely recording the output of an external amp (and/or effects chain) directly ...

Last edited by solger; 02-06-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: third link added
Old 02-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #16
solger

Quote:
... Love how all the drums get their own track just like recording an acoustic kit. Question!!! Is this the correct way to record VDrums? Seems like the best way to me.
Well, there's basically no right or wrong way. Use the workflow which works best for you

Quote:
Now as for my guitar. I am running the Line 6 POD HD500X guitar effects processor plugged into my Mesa Dual Rec and 4*12 cab and out of the USB of the HD500X to my computer. Here's what weirds me out. Like you said solger being that I am running the ASIO driver of the HD500X the audio playback comes out of my guitar cab being that it is connected to my computer. This threw me off as I was expecting the same output as the ASIO4ALLv2 driver which is... When I have the input set to the ASIO4ALLv2 the playback is directed to the 1/8 inch audio output jack of my computer (which I think utilizes the REALTEK HD Audio of the computer. ?? Yes?) Then out of my computer to my home stereo which is connected to Bose 301's.
Yeah, the Realtek HD Audio is the built-in audio device of your computer.

I'll try to explain the difference between the dedicated HD500X ASIO driver and ASIO4ALL (which are not the same):

When using the dedicated HD500x ASIO driver in Reaper, you can only use the HD500x inputs & outputs (hence you'll have to connect headphones/speakers directly to the HD500x in this case).

Using the ASIO4ALL driver basically allows you to make an Aggregate Audio Device of both audio devices (in this case of the HD500X & the built-in Realtek audio device of the computer) by enabling the appropriate device inputs/outputs in the ASIO4ALL Panel first (as shown in the link in post #10), before selecting them in Reaper.
As example:

Input: ASIO4ALL - HD500X Inputs
Output: ASIO4ALL - Realtek HD Audio output (of the built-in computer audio device)

Another thing you can try in general is using WASAPI (instead of ASIO) as Audio System in Reaper and selecting a different input (HD500X) and output (Realtek) device this way ...

I hope this makes things a little bit more clear

Last edited by solger; 02-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #17
Corpus

Hello again! Man where to begin. Ok so... Yes going to connect one of the outputs of my HD500X to my stereo and one to my amp. That way I can switch in between the 2 of them.

Haven't figured out the monitoring button yet like you mentioned Winfield but things are tracking and I am getting playback which is good. I will look for in depth of the monitoring via that link you provided. Thank you.

So I am leaving the Audio System as ASIO and switching between the ASIO4ALLv2 and the ASIO Pod HD5000X Driver depending what I am recording.

Correct thus far?

(I will try the Audio System WASAPI) to see what is can do. ***Is this referred to as a driver as well?***

Winfield I downloaded a distorted guitar plugin from kuassa. Worked flawless.

Solger I will try the bpb plugins next.

Thanks so much fellas!

I have to keep trying things to see what they do etc.

You guys have really helped me here.

Thank you!

I will have to come back and check to see if I am following things that you guys said for a bit.

Takes a while for things to sink in. Ain't a young dude anymore.

Peace
CM
Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #18
Corpus

PS, Do you guys have any links to work that you have done with Reaper that I could check out.

Hmm.... For that matter is there a forum for posting works in Reaper?

That would be cool.

Corpus.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #19
solger

Quote:
Hmm.... For that matter is there a forum for posting works in Reaper?
You can find the REAPER Music/Collaboration section here: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Quote:
So I am leaving the Audio System as ASIO and switching between the ASIO4ALLv2 and the ASIO Pod HD5000X Driver depending what I am recording.
Correct thus far?
Yes, that's one option.

Quote:
(I will try the Audio System WASAPI) to see what is can do. ***Is this referred to as a driver as well?***
Under Preferences > Audio > Device you can select the Audio system (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.) at the top, first. And then get further options below:

As example:

Audio System: ASIO
ASIO Driver: either ASIO4ALLv2 or ASIO Pod HD500X
Inputs
Outputs

Audio System: WASAPI
Mode: Shared mode
Input Device
Output Device

Last edited by solger; 02-07-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #20
Corpus

This is great! Thanks so much!

Now to get at it..

I most likely will be in touch.

Thanks again.

CM