Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Tedobada
Human being with feelings

Default Reboot of computer leaves project missing .wav files, missing vsti's, slow start up

Hello forum, I am in a state of hopelessness after 6 hours searching for a solution.

Last night after working on a track, I rebooted the computer.
Today, Reaper started up in new project mode (which it normally does not).

I loaded up the project from the last Autosave. It took around a minute or two to boot up on a good computer, stalling on loading up Serum vsti and Sylenth (demo) vsti for most of this.

The sound from the kick drum, which is a rendered out .wav shows the waveform and sends a signal, yet no sound comes out. There are no plugins on this sound that are not working properly.

A similar thing has affected numerous other sounds within the project, leaving it bare besides very few of the original rendered sounds

An instance of Serum (Xfer) playing bass has completely stopped working and it looks like the application itself may have been deleted somehow.

Strangely everything else seems completely intact. Please oh please help, I have been working on this track for over 6 months and m extreamly disheartened.

Happy to send through anything you might need to troubleshoot but I am quite new to such terrible issues as these.

Thanks,
Te

Last edited by Tedobada; 06-22-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Tedobada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
solger

I'd recommend to do the following, first (so you have a backup, just in case):

1) Load the project from the last save
2) Then use File > Save project as ... with the following settings enabled at the bottom ...
  • Create subdirectory for project
  • Copy all media into project directory
3) ... and save the project under another name to a different location as backup

4) Afterwards do a [Clear cache/rescan] via Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST
5) Then restart Reaper and see if there are still any problems when loading your original project file again

In addtition, also re-check or re-select your audio device settings (again) under Preferences > Audio > Device, in general.

If the problem persists:
  • Are you on Windows or macOS
  • And what audio interface are you using?

Last edited by solger; 06-23-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedobada View Post
The sound from the kick drum, which is a rendered out .wav shows the waveform and sends a signal, yet no sound comes out. There are no plugins on this sound that are not working properly.
Te
First, did you mean to write that there are no plugins that are NOT working properly? Because plainly, something is wrong. But your first sentence there makes me wonder if you somehow got your audio device settings messed up. If you have a .wav file (and you know it's there because you can see it) but you are not getting any sound, that's not because you are missing the file or the plugin that generated it - it's a problem with Reaper's output. If you are using ASIO4ALL, go in and check your preferences, because those seem to get corrupted quite easily and then require manual resetting - at least they do on my system.

It would seem to me that if you have the .rpp file and you still have the plugin installers, at worst you should be able to reinstall them and be on your way, but maybe there is more to it han that.

Good luck!
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:09 AM   #4
Tedobada

Default Thanks for getting back to me! I have tried and heres what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
I'd recommend to do the following, first (so you have a backup, just in case):

1) Load the project from the last save
2) Then use File > Save project as ... with the following settings enabled at the bottom ...
  • Create subdirectory for project
  • Copy all media into project directory
3) ... and save the project under another name to a different location as backup

4) Afterwards do a [Clear cache/rescan] via Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST
5) Then restart Reaper and see if there are still any problems when loading your original project file again

In addtition, also re-check or re-select your audio device settings (again) under Preferences > Audio > Device, in general.

If the problem persists:
  • Are you on Windows or macOS
  • And what audio interface are you using?
Hi and thanks so much for getting back to me. Really appreciate it in this dark time. So I followed these instructions and upon copying, reaper has prompted me stating

" there were errors copying media for this project. 69 files could not be copied/moved"

These seem to be the tracks that have stopped working. I am using a PC and the Audio interface is Wave Out.

Upon rebooting the original file, Serum and the demo of Sylenth are still holding up the load-up - takes about a minute and a half.

I am going to start the project with all VST's off line and see what happens.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:19 AM   #5
Tedobada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocaster View Post
First, did you mean to write that there are no plugins that are NOT working properly? Because plainly, something is wrong. But your first sentence there makes me wonder if you somehow got your audio device settings messed up. If you have a .wav file (and you know it's there because you can see it) but you are not getting any sound, that's not because you are missing the file or the plugin that generated it - it's a problem with Reaper's output. If you are using ASIO4ALL, go in and check your preferences, because those seem to get corrupted quite easily and then require manual resetting - at least they do on my system.

It would seem to me that if you have the .rpp file and you still have the plugin installers, at worst you should be able to reinstall them and be on your way, but maybe there is more to it han that.

Good luck!
Hi! Cheers for the reply <3
What I meant is the plugin on the kick drum are all working properly, as I can open them up, change parameters etc.

I have been attempting to change my audio interface from Wave Out and it seems no other device can be selected without prompting the message "error getting ASIO sample rate" or WASAPI shared mode device error.
WaveOut has served me well so far in playback, so I think the root problem is some kind of corruption of the Audio Files folder, or some problem with reaper reading them. If you see my other reply, in copying the project reaper prompted saying 69 files could not be copied/moved. so strange cause I have not altered the project in any way since it was working the other night...
I will reinstall the two buggy plugins after trying to open reaper with all plugins offline.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:27 AM   #6
Tedobada

Default Booting up in recovery mode may have saved the day

Hi you guys!

Good news, seems a recovery mode reboot has returned all the corrupted files to there audio home in my ears, who would have guessed!

Any idea why plugins would have affected the files in such a way?

What is the best method for figuring out which plugin has caused the error and to methodically bring the FX back online?

much love from a happy producer-
Te
Old 06-24-2018, 05:23 AM   #7
Tedobada

Default Bug with Sylenth Demo

Hi all, so it seems the buggy program was the Sylenth Demo. I have heard other people find issues with some VSTi's when projects get into the 100's of tracks - this must be one of them.

Hope we all learnt something!! Thank you so much for your help, I will aspire to be as useful as you were to me
Old 06-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
solger

Great to hear that you got it working again
solger is offline   Reply With Quote