Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #1
dsealer
Human being with feelings

Default RESOLVED Sonarworks reference plugin

I installed this software plugin for headphones but Reaper doesn't load it. I edited the vst path in Preferences and added the Sonarworks folder from the Program folder, but the plugin isn't found.
Looking for some advice.
Thanks,

Last edited by dsealer; 10-29-2021 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Issue resolved
dsealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:09 AM   #2
Stella645

Some info would help.

what o/s?
which plugin type(s) did you install?
What's your install locations?
Is it showing in the failed to scan list or not?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:15 AM   #3
Stella645

Quote:
added the Sonarworks folder from the Program folder,
This jumps out at me....when you install the program it should ask for a programme install location, then for a different location for the plugin.

So you must point to the plugin...not to the programme.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #4
dsealer

Thanks for your reply and interest.
My os is windows 10.
There is a folder in Program Files called Sonarworks, I thought that is where it got installed.
I'm not sure where the "Failed to Scan" list is located but I will find it and check.
By referring to the plugin do you mean the dll file?

I apologize for my lack of technical ability, I know this must be frustrating for you as you try to help me. Somethings that are obvious to others are way over my head in understanding.

Thanks again and I'll go back over you replies when I get home from work today and I am sitting in front of the computer.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #5
beingmf

If you haven't changed the default installation path, it should be here:
https://support.sonarworks.com/hc/en...-4-DAW-plugin-
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsealer View Post
Thanks for your reply and interest.
My os is windows 10.
There is a folder in Program Files called Sonarworks, I thought that is where it got installed.
I'm not sure where the "Failed to Scan" list is located but I will find it and check.
By referring to the plugin do you mean the dll file?
The program folder for Sonarworks is where the main program installs....the systemwide part.
The plugins will be a .dll (vst2)...it looks like there is no vst3 version from the link beingmf supplied so see if you can find the dll and make sure you're pointing to that.

The failed to scan list is on the re-scan button under the vst paths in Reaper. I took this screenshot to show failed to scan examples for another user a few weeks back.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
dsealer

Thank you all. I learned a couple of new things through this all. As for the sonarworks issue it's been resolved. I was not directing Reaper to the correct folder.
Thanks everyone,
Old 10-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
Pashkuli
Banned

You do not need Sonarworks.

All you need is EquilzerAPO (possibly with Peace for more fancy GUI) + ASH-IR-Dataset (v8.0 or later). You can also combine it with Voicemeeter, if you need more routing capabilities woth other sound programs (Internet Browser, Movie player, Audio player, etc.)

1. Make sure your headphones are supported by the ASH-IR-Dataset!

2. The setup is a bit overwhelming but at the end... oh man, it sounds as if everything is around and in front you!
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #9
dsealer

I thank you for your reply and suggestion. You sound very knowledgeable with things like this. Unfortunately I am not. If you find this process overwhelming I would probably never be able to install it, set it up and understand how to use it. For dummies like me they make Sonarworks.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
I thank you for your reply and suggestion. You sound very knowledgeable with things like this. Unfortunately I am not. If you find this process overwhelming I would probably never be able to install it, set it up and understand how to use it. For dummies like me they make Sonarworks.
Sonarworks gives only EQ correction. It does not offer Virtual studio monitors\environment (as a binaural experience)... as if you are standing in front of studio monitors.

RealPhones by dSONIQ gives the binaural options + headphone EQ correction (and does not collect data hopefully; Sonar collect your data), but is also paid, and is about $95.
https://www.dsoniq.com

Have not tested it myself. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #11
karbomusic

Sonarworks provides fairly extensive measuring which is where the filtering gets it's data from. It also provides a VST for Reaper's FX monitoring, and a system-wide driver that is aware of whether the plugin is running or not so that you have a consistent response everywhere.

It contains profiles for various headphone models, and emulated frequency based emulations of some monitors like NS-10s. Presets when using multiple reference monitors and/or sound cards and switching between them.

You could instead get an analyzer software, measurement mic, EQ software etc., measure the 38 positions (or whatever the number is), taking time and frequency based measurements from all those positions. Then translate that into the EQ filters which you apply to your entire system, or just reaper. Inexpensive but a lot of manual work to maintain in order to provide similar level of features.

Or you could use Sonarworks or equivalent.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-28-2021 at 06:24 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:55 AM   #12
bodfum

In case you haven't seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4YuXNTCU2Y
Andrew Scheps and Fab Dupont discussing mixing on headphones.
bodfum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:07 AM   #13
Pashkuli
Banned

Mixing on headphones has three main concerns:

1. the freq. response of your headphones (most have bumpy EQ)

2. freq. EQ compensation (correction) from specification

3. binaural simulation (done through software based on measurement)
- something like a "crosstalk" between the cups\drivers of your headphones to simulate set of stereo speakers in front of you

- simulated\measured speakers and capturing binaural headphones: as scientific as possible to get the "flat" response

- individual EQ correction (your ears sensitivity!)

Measurement Dataset include:
- headphone freq. response specifications by manufacture: RARELY supplied as info!!!

- setup with binaural head such as Neumann KU100 (microphones inside a dummy head such as B&K Type
)... in front of a set of stereo speakers (usually scientific)

- studio\room environment (acoustics and treatment)

- speaker's azimuth (horizontal angle setups: for different configs such as 2.0, surround 5.1, 7.1), thought the end result is two (binaural) single channel .wav files as IR (Impulse responses) from the Head (with the microphones, which also have their freq. response)

So, by far we have these contributors to the freq. response:
- binaural head (microphones) to capture the sound impulse

- monitors\loudspeakers used to produce the sound impulse

- rooms acoustic (also related to azimuth angle + distance between speakers); usually recorded in several environments (recording studio, mixing room, acoustically treated rooms, etc.)

- HpCFs (your headphones freq. response correction: list of brands\models) + separate type of: over-ear, in-ear, on-ear compensation of freq.

- last but not least: your individual ears and their sensitivity to sound freq.\pressure, thus you apply final EQ tilt\bump by taste

All this, if done with care and correctly, will allow you to use your headphones (hopefully supported by the measurement Dataset described above) to listen to your stereo recordings (using Foobar of course), movies (PotPlayer of course), mixes in your DAW (Reaper, of course; ASIO sound stream)... using EqualizerAPO + Voicemeeter, without the need to load MonitoringFX plugins for the above explained corrections.

Of course you will need a decent audio-interface (if you'd like to work in a DAW, Reaper of course).

I will try to write a forum entry on how to setup EqualizerAPO (with the related ASH-IR-Dataset) + Voicemeeter. But a video tutorial would be much more explanatory.

At last: my biggest concern is the added latency using all those routings and processing on the fly (real time), especially for recording\tracking.

I wish this could have been implemented by the hardware manufacturers (of audio interfaces or rather headphones) by now.
The other solution is to make a binaural rendering of mixes... but that would have to be done for music, movies, internet stream... which is impossible.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 10-29-2021 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #14
dsealer

I'm sure you mean well and I'm sure you and others understand what you are saying, but I don't. If you look at my original post I was seeking help because Sonarworks was not showing up in my fx list. That has been solved and my issue has been resolved. I am very grateful that you took time to weigh in on my post but it has been resolved.
Thanks,
Old 10-30-2021, 03:05 AM   #15
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure you mean well and I'm sure you and others understand what you are saying, but I don't. If you look at my original post I was seeking help because Sonarworks was not showing up in my fx list. That has been solved and my issue has been resolved. I am very grateful that you took time to weigh in on my post but it has been resolved.
Thanks,
Had similar problems. Do not need them anymore.
Sold my Sonarworks license an year ago.