COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
toyhouse
Human being with feelings

Default Zed R24 Due Out Soon....

New r24 in pic above showing comparison to r16.

Not sure if anyone here has been following the development of the Allen and Heath r24.
I just found some info about the r24 that has raised my attention.

For those who have the dough, (not sure what the price point is yet), I believe the confirmed word is it'll be shown at the musikmesse show in march.

This board sounds to be absolutely amazing.
Think zed r16 with optional meter bridge, motorized faders, two tube channels and more inputs overall.
Maybe not for everyone but certainly interesting and a huge bang for the buck IMO.

The following list of features came from Mike of Allen And Heath during the NAMM 2010 event, (second-hand though you see mike himself mention same online),.

------------
- 24 channels, 16 to the left of center section, 8 to the right
- LED (like R16) metering for all channels on meter bridge
- about 1.3m wide and similar depth to other ZED mixers
- outboard linear PSU based on other A-H designs
- 4 busses that can be assigned to LR bus or M (mono) bus
- 6 auxes (some set pre-fade, some set post-fade, some switchable)
- mic pre, HPF, and 4-band EQ (two parametric mids) same as R16
- [there might have been a unity gain button to take the fader out of the channel signal path...need confirmation]
- analog automation as an option
- 100mm motorized faders for both analog gain and DAW control (if you move the
DAW fader on the screen then the console fader will move and vice versa)
- DAW control via HUI protocol
- full analog automation via MIDI (you can record automation data as a MIDI track in your DAW using the console's faders and then with your entire mix running analog through the console you can automate levels during playback)
- individual channel control over which faders are DAW control and which are analog fader
- various read/write modes for automation similar to what the DAW does
- various solo modes controlled from center section (solo in place, PFL, AFL)
- user assignable button on each channel for DAW control (can be assigned as Arm Track, DAW Solo, Channel Select, whatever)
- 32 channels AD and DA on Digital I/O card with Firewire and ADAT (Firewire only gives full 32 channels at 88.2/96k sample rates)
- "Dig Send" and "Dig Return" routing buttons similar to R16: can choose where signal is tapped in channel strip to send to and from DAW....pre-EQ, pre-fade (I think). Group outputs and aux outputs can be routed to Digital outs.
- pre-fade analog direct out on each channel
- [this may not be 100% accurate] Analog I/O option card that will enable "Dig Send" and "Dig Return" buttons to route signal to analog I/O on Dsub connectors for connection to outboard AD/DA converters, standalone digital recorders, tape decks, and live sound rigs.
- DAW return inputs with level control (for monitoring an ITB mix)
- two sets of 2TRK returns with ability to dub from one to the other
- two control room monitor outs
- headphone out
- jog/shuttle wheel for DAW control
- transport for MMC control
- bank of assignable DAW control buttons
- two tube (valve) chanels that can be assigned to main mix signal path [I'm not sure if these can be routed to channels or not]. This allows you to place a tube amp circuit on your main mix bus for coloration!
- valve channels have instrument inputs with discrete front end for use with guitars
- [I can't remember what it had for FX returns]
- wood side panels for classy look
-------------

Notice the tube channels for coloration!!

The price point is still uncertain unless someone here knows more?
Folks are guessing anywhere from just under $4 grand USD to $7,500.

Anyone here care to guess the final price point?
I'm thinking around 3k minus the motorized faders and bridge. Am I way off? Yeah, I like to dream a lot, LOL.

We're moving and finally found a place two days ago. Has a nice spot for me to build new smaller studio!!!
R24 would certainly look nice there. Do I need it? Not really. Do I want it?,.....LOL.
Others might too.

Cheers.
Jim P.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
d. gauss

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...5&d=1269468646
Old 05-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Lincoln M

any new info on when - how much?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
toyhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln M View Post
any new info on when - how much?
Apparently they're running a bit behind.
August is the target date for the first run.
The price I saw mentioned was between five and six grand. Of course that depends on where you are.
Even if a bit more, I'm not sure there's anything else quite like it for the price. Also pricing will depend on options. Flying faders, meter bridge, type of interface etc.
Lots of folks waiting on this one!

Jim P.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Hercules

Very good! and thanks for the update toyhouse

I particularly like:
- full analog automation via MIDI
- individual channel control over which faders are DAW control and which are analog fader
and
- 32 channels AD and DA on Digital I/O card with Firewire and ADAT

By the end of the year hopefully Presonus and Mackie will have responded with their "competitive options" to push the price down.....
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
mimstudiosnz

Default Please please please

Man, the ZED R24 sounds like the answer to my prayers!!! but, as I have long ago become accustomed to, we wont see this puppy down here in little old New Zealand (does anyone know where that is even? lol) till at least 6 months after its release, if at all. So my dilemma is this, do I wait it out or do I get the ZED R16 and try not to ruin the small, un-motorised faders with my tears? I'm guessing that the dates on this thread are 2011? and US$5000 means its gonna be about NZ$70 million!! haha, no, probably at least NZ$10,000 I guess. The Zed R16 is NZ$3840 including GST here (thats our awesome governments even more awesome Goods & Services Tax).
Plan on using this as a live recording console and a studio console, so I guess the Zed R16 will do the job but............
Oh god, I'm off for a cry.