Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
Eddy
Human being with feelings

Default how do I split midi items without making new items

When I split a midi item I end up with two items - the one on the left of the cursor is a new item that ends at the split, the one on the right is the original item now truncated to the split point. For example a 3 bar item split at the end of the first bar now gives me a single 1 bar item that will loop that single bar, and a two bar item that is just the original but shorter by a bar.

I would prefer splitting without creating any new items. In other words I split the item and end up with two copies of the original item (now shorter of course but each allowing dragging out to the original size)

Last edited by Eddy; 10-15-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
X-Raym

Look at my Stutter edit selected scripts provided with Reapack. It does exactly that.

(note : this thread title was very misleading ^^)
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #3
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Look at my Stutter edit selected scripts provided with Reapack. It does exactly that.

(note : this thread title was very misleading ^^)
thanks, I will have a look - but how is the title misleading? Maybe I should say two different unique items?

and doesnt look like stutter edit works how I want'- all I want to do is cut the existing item at a point, not restart a new version.

Say I have a two bar item and split in two, I now have a left item and a right item. If I delete the left item I would like to be able to drag out the edge of the right item a bar and have the original back again. Alternatively I would like to be able to delete the right item and drag out the edge of the left item to end up with the original again. Currently that is not how it works

Last edited by Eddy; 10-15-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #4
X-Raym

According to your second post, indeed, stutter edit is not what you are looking for.

But I think it is this pref:

(thanks reaperblog for the hint)

Last edited by X-Raym; 10-16-2017 at 02:37 PM.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Eddy

thanks X-Raym, that is the setting I needed. Another method is to get rid of the various project settings to loop media. But your setting allows for an override of the looping when splitting midi items. Possibly it might be better to have those settings in the same place ie where you can turn on or off auto loopng midi items have the option to turn that off when splitting

I still do not understand why that suddenly changed in my project so I will check to see if I hit a keystroke that reset it

thanks again for your following this up