Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Lynx_TWO
Human being with feelings

Default how to properly side-chain dynamic EQ for 3 overlapping voice tracks for podcast?

When mixing and mastering a podcast with three or more speakers, I'm having a tough time how to visualize sidechain dynamic EQ so when three people are talking over each other, the clashing frequencies get ducked down through dynamic EQ so all three voices are intelligible and don't run together. Fortunately, I can edit offline and don't need to do this in realtime!

There are three mono voice tracks

The current track layout is:

[Host1] at 50% panning Left
[Guest] at Center
[Host2] at 50% panning Right

[Guest] has a voice that clashes with [Host1] and [Host2] when all three people are talking over each other.

[Host1] has frequencies that clash with [Host2] when both are talking over each other, which are different than the frequencies that clash with [Guest]

What I want to do is using a dynamic EQ (versus a compressor) to duck out frequencies from [Guest] that clash with [Host1] and [Host2] when all three are talking, while also ducking out frequencies from [Host2] that clash with [Host1].

This is pretty straightforward with dealing with only two vocals but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it properly with three vocals. At some point, I might have to do this with 4 or more vocals as well.

Currently, the best way I can visualize how to do this is the following:

[Host1] ---> [Track 4]
[Guest] ---> [Track 7]
[Host2] ---> [Track 5]

Use [Track 4] as a sidechain for dynamic EQ on [Track 5] to duck overlapping frequencies when [Host1] and [Host2] are talking at the same time

[Track 4] ---> [Track 6], -3dB
[Track 5] ---> [Track 6], -3dB
Sent at -3dB to keep track 6 at same volume as track 4 and track 5 when talking over each other

Use [Track 6] as a sidechain for dynamic EQ on [Track 7] to duck overlapping frequencies when [Host1] and [Host2] are talking at the same time as [Guest]

[Track 5] to [Master]
[Track 4] to [Master]
[Track 7] to [Master]

Use compression and overall EQ to taste on [Master]

Does this seem correct?

Obviously, with a podcast many platforms are mono, otherwise, you could just rely on the physical stereo speakers to deal with any intelligibility issues.

Of course, if anyone knows of a plugin specifically for overlapping speech that will do this for me that would be amazing

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 12-24-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling and clarification
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
DVDdoug

Quote:
so when three people are talking over each other
I don't think there is ANY solution for that. I'd guess you're just going to end-up making it sound weird.

If each voice is on a separate track you can fade-down the "less important" voices, or you could even time-shift them but that's probably not going to sound natural. Or you could do a "take two" with the hosts and splice-in the existing guest track.

If you're stuck with a stereo mix you can try something similar by fading-down the left or right channel but that's probably not going to help that much.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Lynx_TWO

Thanks! Yea I have to make a stereo mix from three mono voice channels that is also mono compatible on the downmix, so it’s a bit tough. My first thought was to time-shift but there’s too much mic bleed in each track so you get a weird ghost effect which is unacceptable.

Ducking out overlapping frequencies does work pretty well when only two people are talking over each other, but throw in three and it gets complicated real fast! They are all males voices too, so no luck have a higher pitched voice to cut through
Old 12-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
jrk

You might want to have a look at https://www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer/

But I'm sure there are other dynamic EQ things that would work.

place an instance on guest and sidechain it from both hosts
another instance on host 1 and sidechain that from host 2
Old 01-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
You might want to have a look at https://www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer/

But I'm sure there are other dynamic EQ things that would work.

place an instance on guest and sidechain it from both hosts
another instance on host 1 and sidechain that from host 2
Holy sh-t that looks like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. The price is really reasonable as well!
Old 01-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
Lynx_TWO

Default SOLVED

https://www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer/

This works like a charm - sidechained it as above, set it to around 33% and it's perfect. Also love the fact it has built-in high and lowpass crossovers, adjustable effect anywhere between Mid/Side and Left/Right channels.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 01-19-2020 at 08:12 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
Philbo King

Ever consider asking them not to all talk at once?
#theview
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote