Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
pjmaertz
Human being with feelings

Default Sudden distortion on recordings

I have a Focusrite 18i8, and have been recording with my current setup for over a year with no issues. Suddenly, the recording I'm doing in Reaper plays back distorted. I checked multiple cables and multiple microphones, all have the same problem. I tried to update my drivers for my Focusrite, but that did not help them problem. I recorded in a different DAW (Audacity), and the recording came through clear. I uninstalled the most recent Windows update to see if that would help the problem, but no luck. I think the problem may be that I have a very high buffer size (1024), but every time I try to change it to 16 in reaper it just bounces right back to 1024. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks
pjmaertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
domzy

i don't think 16 is gonna be a valid option, have you tried 512, 256 or 128?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
pjmaertz

yes, none of those things change the sound. Also going from ASIO, Direct sound and WASAPI do not help. This is driving me insane.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
Coachz

If you drag a WAV file or MP3 into Reaper does that playback clear or distorted? On the tracks that you do recordthrough your interface do they appear to be unclipped.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #5
wolfdogg

Do you always keep the foucsrite on? If so, try turning off the focusrite for an hour or so. I know these things shouldn't have any kind of heat problem but I've had distortion out of nowhere twice before. I troubleshooted for 3 days the first time then turned that off overnight and back on the next day and it was gone. It happened again months later and did that first this time. Worked again. I turn it off at night now.
If you turn yours off all the time, never the mind. Just a suggestion of something that worked for me.
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
pjmaertz

@Coahchz the other files play fine, and I ended up recording in Audacity and exporting it to Reaper cuz I was working on a time sensitive project. There is no distortion coming our through the speakers or through Audacity, just when it plays back in Reaper, and only newly recorded things, it makes no sense to me.

@wolfdogg I do keep it on all the time, I am going to turn it off for a few hours then try again, I don't think it's the interface because the recording works in Audacity and there is no distortion coming through my monitors live, only on playback. Still worth a try though, I am going nuts. Next step is Reaper factory reset
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
Coachz

what sample rate and buffer size do you have set? Is it showing the same on the top right of reaper. (go to just below top right of reaper app and right click in the gray area. The select "show audio device information")?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
pjmaertz

my sample size and buffer rate are 44.1 khz and 128 bit repectively. I just uninstalled and did a factory reset, no luck. This program is basically unusable for me now, I am majorly bummed
Old 07-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Coachz

hang in there, this is something that people smarter than me will help you with and then you'll be solid. I'm sure it's not lost. Please post as much of your setup as possible, screen shots etc........
Old 07-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
wolfdogg

Did you try uninstalling Reaper and reinstalling? Could be something as easy as that. Try running it through Reaper portable version and see what happens.
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #11
pjmaertz

I did try an uninstall and reinstall, as well as a factory resent, but no cigar
Old 07-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #12
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Please post screenshots of your Preferences->Audio->Device, Preferences->Audio->Buffering pages and interface control software.

Also make sure you don't have a plug-in on the input track (particularly as "Input FX") or in the "Monitoring FX" chain that could be causing this.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote