Old 08-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
grayter1
Human being with feelings

Default v5.23rc2 - August 11 2016

v5.23rc2 - August 11 2016
+ ReaSurround: improve parameter names
+ ReaSurround: improved pan gain behavior, deprecated old behavior with 'Normalize multichannel gain' checkbox
+ ReaSurround: prevent context menu appearing when using marquee selection
# Render: allow lone drive letter for render paths on win32
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
babag

will the reasurround changes make audible changes to existing mixes? just how perceptible are these changes or are they mainly math?
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
will the reasurround changes make audible changes to existing mixes? just how perceptible are these changes or are they mainly math?
Only if you change the "deprecated" setting, which will be enabled by default for old mixes. They are math but anywhere from inaudible to extremely audible depending on your input and speaker positioning.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
babag

thanks justin. sounds like only a test will tell (if the 'deprecated' setting gets changed).

Last edited by babag; 08-11-2016 at 11:32 AM.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
jm duchenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Only if you change the "deprecated" setting, which will be enabled by default for old mixes. They are math but anywhere from inaudible to extremely audible depending on your input and speaker positioning.
Hi,

This new behaviour is well appreciated, and will solve the "instant drop out" risk when getting out an influence zone when automating.
And yes, it can make a huge difference with previous settings if the box is unchecked !

Nevertheless, I wonder if the term "deprecated" is appropriate, since it seems to me to be two different methods, with different but equal interest. The previous one can be the best in some cases.

For example, vertical movements will be hard to do without the constant amplitude mode enabled.
See :

There is only three speakers, the third one is in the middle and above the other two.
With the distance based option, it is quite impossible to do a vertical movement without an amplitude loss. And it goes even more difficult with more speakers...

Perhaps that something like "area based" for the previous one and "distance based" for the new one would be more explicite ?

By the way, while you are working on the Reasurround, there is a very simple request that would make a lot of people happy : make the influence cercles more visible ! We ruin our eyes on our monitors when setting them ;-)
Thanks !
jm duchenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
Nevertheless, I wonder if the term "deprecated" is appropriate, since it seems to me to be two different methods, with different but equal interest. The previous one can be the best in some cases.

For example, vertical movements will be hard to do without the constant amplitude mode enabled.
I've watched that, and done similar experiments, and I'm not sure that maintaining a constant-summed-amplitude for that range is actually appropriate. If you put the height of the center speaker at 50% -- matching the distance from the center of the L/R speakers (50%), you'll see the summed amplitude remains relatively constant during movements those areas...

Quote:
By the way, while you are working on the Reasurround, there is a very simple request that would make a lot of people happy : make the influence cercles more visible ! We ruin our eyes on our monitors when setting them ;-)
I agree!
Old 08-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
jm duchenne

Quote:
I've watched that, and done similar experiments, and I'm not sure that maintaining a constant-summed-amplitude for that range is actually appropriate. If you put the height of the center speaker at 50% -- matching the distance from the center of the L/R speakers (50%), you'll see the summed amplitude remains relatively constant during movements those areas...
Yes, it is always some compromises to do with this method.
It is very difficult to combine horizontal and vertical influences, since the number of speakers and their proximity is often very different...

I have never found an ideal method with free speakers positionning, both ones in Reasurround would have advantages and onconvenients.

There is some cases where the distance based setting may be harder to deal with.

For example :

Here, with the normalization we can make the channels cover more or less without loosing the constant amplitude, but when off it is, well, interesting together with some distance simulation ;-)

Or :

Even with the mouse it may be difficult to automate movements without level irregularities, and with a physical controller it will be harder.

I am very happy about this new setting, and we have now two interesting and complementary methods to use free speakers positionning.
It is in all cases a lot more complicated (and more interesting too ;-)) to conceive and to use than simple equidistant positions like with ambisonics !

Have you tried the DBAP with constant power ?
It is used in the GRM Tools Spaces with good results and it can be very easy for the user.

Last edited by jm duchenne; 08-12-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
jm duchenne

Quote:
I agree!
Hourra !
Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
jm duchenne

Oh, and I have forgotten...
I don't remember if/when I have posted for this old bug, but perhaps is it the good timing (but the wrong place ?).

When the number of inputs / ouputs is more than 16, and if the display selector of the outputs is set to a value superior to 16, so the inputs levels below 16 are modified and cannot be changed to their good value until we revert the output range to max 16.
It can be a problem when editing.

Good :

Not so good :

It seems to be 100% reproducible.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
Oh, and I have forgotten...
I don't remember if/when I have posted for this old bug, but perhaps is it the good timing (but the wrong place ?).

When the number of inputs / ouputs is more than 16, and if the display selector of the outputs is set to a value superior to 16, so the inputs levels below 16 are modified and cannot be changed to their good value until we revert the output range to max 16.
It can be a problem when editing.

Good :

Not so good :

It seems to be 100% reproducible.
Thanks, fixing!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
mlprod

Hi
No plans yet of adding the funtionality regarding adding renders back into project and auto increment file names for queued renders?

/M
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote