Old 08-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
chanapar
Human being with feelings

Default Feature Request!

Use the left/right arrow keys to scroll through tracks.

I just tried v1 and its not in there (unless there's some keys assigened to do that already. i never read manuals lol!)
chanapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
chanapar

I'm used to Samplitude and like using the left/right keys for cursor movement and the up/down keys for scrolling through track selection.

I think REAPER needs to be REPAIRED to rectify this situation. Then I think it will REQUIRE no more improvement except for bug fixes!!

ARA (chanapar)
Old 08-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

do you have a mouse with a wheel on it?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
chanapar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
no, i have a logitech track ball. its got two buttons for scrolling but a wheel it ain't.

are you tryin to tell me a wheel is the ticket for this? if so can we re-assign said wheel to other buttons/keys?

ara
Old 08-04-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

wheel is cool for this but Im sure someone will come along and tell you an easy way for your setup... Art Evans has made something called "reaper keys" which seems to make many users joyous
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
chanapar

Quote:
wheel is cool for this but Im sure someone will come along and tell you an easy way for your setup... Art Evans has made something called "reaper keys" which seems to make many users joyous
well that sounds good! point me in the right direction cause i'd like to be joyous too.

ara
Old 08-07-2006, 02:42 AM   #7
winbe

Default scroll wheel: still dangerous because of faders....

Hello,

I have a mouse with a wheel, and I am so used to it that in Reaper I am very tempted to roll the wheel to scroll down the tracks. But there is only a tiny zone where you can safely roll the wheel: if while rolling the mouse pointer lands on a fader, then the scroll action will change, and it will move your fader !

So I try to avoid the wheel because it is a very frustrating experience, you have to be very careful to where you position your mouse before beginning the scrolling...

My wish would be that before changing a fader, you have to click on it first to activate it (which is quite a standard behavior).

Many mouse / keyboard behaviors in Reaper are not standard, this is a bit frustrating I must say, even if I am sure there is a good reason (the "alt + right click drag" to select events, instead of simply... "click and drag" for example...)

Quote:
winbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
chanapar

ok then!

we all see the benefit of having the arrow keys for scrolling through the tracks. i use a trackball so i don't know about the mouse wheel action, but if its anything like winbe described i'd definitely prefer the arrow keys!

what makes it kind of strange is that the left/right arrow keys are for moving the cursor, but the up/down keys are for horizontal zooming! thats very counter-intuitive and i always find myself getting frustrated pressing those keys and zooming one way or the other. how much more productive (and pleasant) it would be to find that we can navigate through all the tracks and the full length of our projects with just four keys - already properly marked and grouped together!!

ara
Old 08-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
olzzon

As iīm using the scrollwheel for zooming the up/down arrow would be okay to change to change track. But itīs not that important for me, and iīm not sure if itīs for any use, the way reaper works. I can see it in cubase and saw, where you have a per track window that follows the active track, but the way reaper is build, i canīt see the advance of having it there, but it might be there just havenīt seen it. :-)

Concerning the scrollwheel, yes itīs anoying when you scroll and end up changing a fader, but i would much prefer that the area left of the fader(or below in mixer view) is the only area used for scrolling.
And that the mouse over fader adjust stays as it is now. This is something iīve dreamt about for years.

You can also allways scroll in the main window using, ctrl-alt-wheel if thatīs easier.