Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-10-2022, 09:54 PM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default Free Numa Player By Studiologic

Found this today somewhere (Reddit?):

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numaplayer/

It's a neat player with pianos, harpsichords, strings and more. Pretty decent sound and a lovely GUI. It's VST3 and works with LinVst3. I just loaded it into Reaper, and it works great!
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:10 AM   #2
bFooz

Thanks! I totaly did not know about this.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
Xasman

Thanks. Unfortunately there's no GUI displayed here (Numa Player VST3/Manjaro/Yabridge in Reaper Native Linux).
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
Beco

Default Thanks

Thanks Michael

Here with debian stable and linvst3 works great and the standalone works great too.
Wine stable version 7.

Last edited by Beco; 03-11-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Beco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:41 AM   #5
Charango

In Ubuntu 20.04 and yabridge, it says installed but doesn't show up in Reaper, I have resynced yabridge. The standalone version works fine.
Anyone have an idea?
Charango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:48 AM   #6
fladd

"Real cross-platform"...but no Linux version. I like their humor.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:32 AM   #7
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charango View Post
In Ubuntu 20.04 and yabridge, it says installed but doesn't show up in Reaper, I have resynced yabridge. The standalone version works fine.
Anyone have an idea?
I think the NumaPlayer plugin might be a bit unstable. I briefly tried it out in Bitwig and Carla two days ago, but when I started REAPER just now it also got blacklisted. I restarted REAPER with
Code:
YABRIDGE_DEBUG_FILE=/tmp/yabridge.log YABRIDGE_DEBUG_LEVEL=1+editor reaper
to check what the plugin was doing but since then it's been scanning (and of course working) just fine every time even when removing the plugin from REAPER's plugin database and doing a fresh scan. So try restarting REAPER and rescanning the plugin if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Thanks. Unfortunately there's no GUI displayed here (Numa Player VST3/Manjaro/Yabridge in Reaper Native Linux).
Try again with clean Wine prefix. Some override you have installed in your Wine prefix may be causing issues. I can confirm that the plugin works just fine with a fresh wine-tkg 7.3-r5 (built with the standard settings from customization.cfg) and with regular Wine Staging 7.4.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:29 AM   #8
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
Try again with clean Wine prefix. Some override you have installed in your Wine prefix may be causing issues. I can confirm that the plugin works just fine with a fresh wine-tkg 7.3-r5 (built with the standard settings from customization.cfg) and with regular Wine Staging 7.4.
Ah, OK thanks. Don't think I have any overrides installed - this is a fresh install of manjaro and wine/yabridge on a new computer. I'm running wine-staging 7.2-1 because that's the current version in the manjaro community repo. What's the best way to go about updating it to W-S 7.4.? Do I need to install it from the AUR or yay? (sorry, I'm fairly new to manjaro so am still trying to get to grips with how package management works).

Edit: Forget that - I see that an update to wine-staging 7.4 has now appeared in the community repo (in pamac), so will update and see what happens...

Edit2:... and the update fixed it! Very impressive, thanks!!!

Last edited by Xasman; 03-14-2022 at 04:02 AM.
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:07 PM   #9
hankg

Quote:
Anyone have an idea?
I know it's been a while, but I just ran into this - might help someone looking for answers (that's how I ended up here).

I just installed it... It looked like it only installed the stand alone, but turns out it was simply installed in a folder that wasn't included in my yabridgectl path list:

/home/{USER}/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/VST3

This might not be a common problem -- I think I saw a comment about this being the standard location for all VST3s in windows, in which case most probably added it already.

This is on Linux Mint 21 with wine-7.14 (Staging) installed. Numa plugin runs well, with gui doing what it should.
hankg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #10
EJ James

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
/home/{USER}/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Common Files/VST3
This saved me from pulling my hair out (even though I'm fully bald). =)

THANK YOU!
EJ James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:05 PM   #11
/AND/

Ah yes, I added several paths to yabridge so that plugins scan properly. Can confirm that Numa Player works for me (Fedora Silverblue, Reaper, yabridge). A bit limited set of sounds, but sounding pretty good nonetheless.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 01:25 PM   #12
michael diemer

I used LinVst to convert it, and had no problems. I'm also now on Mint 21, with Wine Staging. Mint is offering an update, but I'm not sure I'll do it just yet, as everything is working so well.
Old 07-16-2023, 04:22 AM   #13
Charango

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
I think the NumaPlayer plugin might be a bit unstable.
Hi Roberrt,

I'm opening this thread again because I have a problem with the Numa Player.
It was working fine in my system (Ubuntu 22.04) until recently I had to reinstall everything and now what happens is this:

First of all some details:

Wine version: wine-8.12 (Staging)
Yabridge: 5.0.5
Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
Reaper 6.81

It is always a bit unpredictable getting Reaper to recognize it, but after several attempts at scanning ALL my VST+VST3 folders (which I have done), it loads up in Reaper.
The problem is that the graphic interface seems stuck. I can hear the piano sound if I click on the keys but I can do nothing else. The weird part is if I close the FX window then reopen it, then it seems to give me the window I had clicked on before, if you understand what I mean.
Now, I know you addressed possible graphic glitches on your GitHub by advising to fiddle with installing DXVK...but I'm not sure if I'll muck up my wine, which seems to be working well otherwise. (FabFilter is working well in Reaper).
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. If I can't get it to work correctly, it's not the end of the world to be honest, I'll just use something else, but if you can think of an easy fix, let me know!

Thanks in advance!

PS: I forgot to add something:
Opening Reaper fro mthe console and then opening Numa gives me this info, which seems to offer some idea of what's wrong:

13:23:49 [Numa Player-24GSWckt] [Wine STDERR] 0110:err:combase:RoGetActivationFactory Failed to find library for L"Windows.UI.ViewManagement.UIViewSettings"
Old 07-16-2023, 06:19 AM   #14
dylan.w

Quote:
Now, I know you addressed possible graphic glitches on your GitHub by advising to fiddle with installing DXVK...but I'm not sure if I'll muck up my wine, which seems to be working well otherwise. (FabFilter is working well in Reaper).

Hey just thought it might be worth mentioning that you can easily create a separate wine prefix for a specific plugin so that you can troubleshoot without upsetting what is working.

for example:

mkdir ~/.wine-numaplayer
(create a directory for new prefix)

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-numaplayer winecfg
(winecfg is just to initialize the prefix)

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-numaplayer wine numaplayer.exe
(install plugin to new prefix)

Then you can copy in the necessary dlls for the DXVK fix.

And add the new vst path to yabridge

yabridgectl add ~/.wine-numaplayer/blah/blah/

I actually have separate wine prefix for every plugin maker and everything works fine. I'm not familiar with Numa Player but I recently had to do the DXVK fix for Kazrog True Iron, and it worked like a charm.
dylan.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:25 AM   #15
Charango

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan.w View Post
Hey just thought it might be worth mentioning that you can easily create a separate wine prefix for a specific plugin so that you can troubleshoot without upsetting what is working.

for example:

mkdir ~/.wine-numaplayer
(create a directory for new prefix)

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-numaplayer winecfg
(winecfg is just to initialize the prefix)

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-numaplayer wine numaplayer.exe
(install plugin to new prefix)

Then you can copy in the necessary dlls for the DXVK fix.

And add the new vst path to yabridge

yabridgectl add ~/.wine-numaplayer/blah/blah/

I actually have separate wine prefix for every plugin maker and everything works fine. I'm not familiar with Numa Player but I recently had to do the DXVK fix for Kazrog True Iron, and it worked like a charm.
Thank you so much for the advice, I might try that. I had heard that it might be something to do with DXVK but didn't investigate further. Have you any idea which DXVK dlls I should use? Are they already in the "add dlls section" of wine? I saw that there's a bunch in there but not sure which one(s) to use.
Old 07-16-2023, 03:49 PM   #16
dylan.w

Quote:
Thank you so much for the advice, I might try that. I had heard that it might be something to do with DXVK but didn't investigate further. Have you any idea which DXVK dlls I should use? Are they already in the "add dlls section" of wine? I saw that there's a bunch in there but not sure which one(s) to use.
Yea I'm not sure if DXVK will fix your specific issue, but it's probably worth a try. It could be worth jumping into the yabridge discord to see if others have experienced/solved any issues with this particular plugin.

For DXVK, I followed the instructions from the github repo that is linked in the yabridge readme: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

The important part is under the heading "How to use". It's pretty straightforward.

If you're new to the command line, just make sure that you're running the commands from within the dxvk folder that you downloaded. And that you're applying the DLL overrides to the right prefix.

Also don't forget to remove the existing install of the problematic plugin before installing it to the new prefix. You can do this by navigating to the VST folder in your existing wine prefix and deleting the plugin.

the command:

yabridgectl sync --prune

will clean up on the yabridge side, and you can start fresh with the new prefix
dylan.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:41 AM   #17
Charango

Default Problem solved!!

The problem's solved and it wasn't what I was expecting, so I'll post here in case anyone else has the same one.
I started mucking about with new wine prefixes as I like a good challenge
but it didn't change anything.
Then it hit me. Maybe the version I'm trying to install isn't the same as what was working before. Sure enough, I was trying to install version 1.1.1 which does NOT work in my system whereas version 1.0.3 does!

Ironically, in the release notes for version 1.1 it says "Improved graphics performance", which is what was not working for me.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:05 AM   #18
/AND/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
That's weird, I have the GUI working no sweat. Try writing Robert VDH in the yabridge thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
"Real cross-platform"...but no Linux version. I like their humor.
I feel you, brother.

But in any case, a good little nifty plugin. Don't use it anymore because I want to cut down on bridged plugins, but worked pretty well.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:30 AM   #19
michael diemer

Interesting. The version I installed last fall continues to work. This highlights one of the ways that doing on music on Linux can be very different. Unless you use native-only software, you have to be careful with updates. Kontakt 6 works, but 7 does not. If you use Windows plugins/vsti, it is wise to to keep things as they are. I'm still on wine 7.2. I also have not upgraded Mint 21 to 21.1 or 21.2 Since it's LTS, I don't have to do anything but security updates until 2027. A different approach than with Windows or Mac, where you want to keep updating.

Which is why you should, if you can, use native only software. I can't, since I do orchestral music. And some people just love their old plugins, and if they can get them to work, and keep them working, they have the best of both worlds. But then you need to be eternally vigilant, as the saying goes.