Old 10-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
Michael Willis
Human being with feelings

Default Dragonfly Reverb

Update: Download the latest release here: https://github.com/michaelwillis/dra...everb/releases

Hi all, I've been working on a free reverb plugin; The "REAPER for Linux" folks have already heard about this, but I'm wanting to broaden the discussion.

Dragonfly Reverb is a concert hall style reverb intended for acoustic instruments and vocals. For anybody who has used Hibiki Reverb, this is built on the same algorithms, so much to the extent that you can consider it almost the same plugin, but with a new user interface that is hopefully much easier to use.

I'm just about ready to make an official v1.0.0 release, I just need some folks to test it on a variety of platforms and to let me know if they experience any bugs. Please find the release candidate here:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dra.../tag/1.0.0-RC1

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by Michael Willis; 12-17-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Michael Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
jazznfunk

For native Reaper for Linux we must use this file "DragonflyReverb-vst.so"?

Edit. I can answer my question - this will work.

Last edited by jazznfunk; 10-30-2018 at 04:04 PM.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
ivansc

win version D/L`d. Will give it a go.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
prezbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Willis View Post

I'm just about ready to make an official v1.0.0 release, I just need some folks to test it on a variety of platforms and to let me know if they experience any bugs.

Michael- I'm gonna confess- I saw "another reverb plugin" and immediately and instinctively yawned at the idea, but thought I'd give it a try and not expect too much.

WAS. I. WRONG.

This thing sounds fantastic!!! I don't think I have another verb that does what this does- very, very nice sounding and super natural.

One thing, tho- while it is very cool to have control over the early and late reflections in the fashion that you have, it is a little "different" when you consider where the "dry" control is. (Took me a minute to figure out what needed to happen there) Not a terribly off-putting thing, but I was thinking that since this is a pretty different reverb, what would you say to a "buss mode" switch that bypassed (and removed from view) the dry control? I don't think I've ever seen such a thing in a verb plugin before. The reason I mention it is that many of the older (ahem) "analog crowd" almost always use an FX buss for verbs like this, and when you put it onto a buss with a dry signal and almost no verb, the initial reaction is "that's not what I wanted" - and the fiddling around begins. If there were a "buss mode" that just turned off the dry signal and left the early/late reflections in, then it immediately starts acting the correct way, and dialing in the verb becomes less of a hassle.

At any rate- you're on to something here, and I'm about as jaded as they come when it comes to plugins and especially reverbs.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
JamesPeters

Yep, it's a good one. The Freeverb3 algorithms are no joke. The interfaces put people off, and even people like me (who normally don't care about interfaces being pretty) have found it difficult to dial in the plugins. This approach is much better.

If Michael makes a plugin based on the Freeverb3 ProG algorithm, you'll love it too.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I tend to use these sorts of things in series WAY more than I did in the old days, when you could only afford a few hardware reverbs, so I definitely don't mind the wet/dry control
Old 10-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezbass View Post
WAS. I. WRONG.
Mwuahahahahaha.

For some background, I dabble around with music on a Linux DAW. (I know, I'm probably crazy, but I tell myself that it's the good kind of crazy). There are not a lot of options of reverbs that run natively on Linux, but I found this open source reverb algorithm that I really liked the sound of. I thought I could spend a few weekends building a Linux version. After that things kind of got out of hand and here I am a year later almost ready to make the official v1.0.0 release.

I really like how it sounds, but I didn't want to put too much hype into it, since folks on Mac and Windows have so many options available. I'm not surprised that many people have that "yawn, another reverb?" reaction.

Quote:
"buss mode"
I can see what you're getting at. My usage is mostly stuff like orchestral arrangements or piano solos, in which I mostly just stick the reverb somewhere near the end of all of my signal routing, but I can totally understand that if you're using separate busses for your dry signal and your reverb, it would be super annoying to try exploring the presets in Dragonfly only to have it bump the dry back up to somewhere around 70%-90% every time you click a different preset.

I'll have to think about this one for a bit to see if I can find a solution that I'm happy with, which includes deciding whether it is worth having "yet-another-button" on the user interface.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
gibi25

Another verb.
But a very good one.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:21 AM   #9
enroe

Quote:
Mwuahahahahaha ...

I'll have to think about this one for a bit to see if I can find a solution that I'm happy with, which includes deciding whether it is worth having "yet-another-button" on the user interface.
How about a mode-button, which switches (toggles) to:

1. insert-mode: Here we have the dry-fader.
2. send-mode: Here is no dry-fader, since "dry" is set strictly to "zero".

I suggest the name: "send<-->insert"
Or shorter: "s <-> i".
Old 11-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #10
Michael Willis

Quote:
"buss mode"
Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
How about a mode-button
I implemented an experimental compromise that I hope works for folks who want to use the reverb 0% dry:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dra.../tag/1.0.0-RC2

In this release, the presets don't control the sliders at all. It defaults to 80% dry, 10% early, and 20% late. If you adjust the sliders and then pick another preset, the sliders just stay where you left them. Consider "bus mode" to be sliding dry down to 0%, and adjusting early and late to your preference.

Please try out this update and let me know what you think, it also includes a modification to the early reflections to make them less harsh at higher level.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
JamesPeters

Now the name of the plugin (in Linux) displays as:

Code:
VST: Dragonfly Reverb0aɧþ (Michael Willis, Rob van den Ber)

Thanks for the update! I like how it saves the dry/early/late settings with a preset in Reaper, but otherwise leaves it alone when changing among "its own presets" from its interface. This behavior makes it perfect for quick auditioning of different settings.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:02 AM   #12
antiClick

Quote:
I'd also need some sort of "send mode".
Maybe you could change the 3 fader bars from the left into Wet, Dry and Early-Late; and that the Dry one wouldn't get stored in the presets.

Big Thanks for developing this!

Last edited by antiClick; 12-14-2018 at 02:11 AM.
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #13
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
I'd also need some sort of "send mode".
Maybe you could change the 3 fader bars from the left into Wet, Dry and Early-Late; and that the Dry one wouldn't get stored in the presets.

Big Thanks for developing this!
In the latest release, the presets do not change any of the sliders. It was the most simple way I could think of to allow people to explore to presets without disrupting the mix every time.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
JamesPeters

Yeah the way it currently is, it works very well. If you want to set the dry slider all the way down and then check the different built-in presets, the dry slider stays all the way down. If you save a preset in Reaper it will respect whatever you have set the dry slider to. So it is only a matter of how you save your presets in Reaper.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #15
JamesPeters

Oops I was wrong, the width bug isn't fixed. I don't know why I thought it was before. I can reproduce it consistently.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Oops I was wrong, the width bug isn't fixed. I don't know why I thought it was before. I can reproduce it consistently.
Stand by, Red Three... I have another update coming soon.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #17
AnalogDomain

I'm really liking the results I get with this reverb, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the modulation portion of the effect.
AnalogDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDomain View Post
I'm really liking the results I get with this reverb, but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the modulation portion of the effect.
For Dragonfly Hall, you can click the UI button in Reaper to hide the GUI and present the controls. A couple extras are there, at the bottom. Turn those down.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #19
Michael Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDomain View Post
Are you using the latest beta release? If so, which plugin are you using, the room or hall one?

If you're using the latest Dragonfly Hall, there are two a hidden parameters called Spin Factor and LFO Factor. I'm not sure how to get to them in REAPER as I'm not a regular REAPER user, but most DAWs and plugin hosts have some generic way of manipulating plugin parameters without using the plugin's graphical interface. Try setting one or both of those to zero and see if you are more happy with the results.

Edit: Ha! James and I both wrote the same answer at the same time.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #20
Michael Willis

Beta release 1.9.7 is now available.

I think it's getting close to the point that I can call it 2.0.0 and stop messing around with these dials. Other than addressing any more feedback that I get from the community, the only other thing I'm considering changing is swapping out the "Boost Band" dial for a "Low Cut" dial like Dragonfly Hall has. I kind of like the ability to change the frequency band of the boost feature, but I'm wondering if a low cut dial would be more widely useful.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #21
Michael Willis

Please try Beta release 1.9.9. Several changes since the last update. Both plugins now have a new slider "Early Send" that controls how much of the early reflection signal is mixed into the input to the late algorithm. Dragonfly Room now has both High Cut and Low Cut. Dragonfly Hall has a "Flutter" dial that controls the level of modulation; this will be simply renamed to "Modulation" for the 2.0.0 release in order to better follow existing conventions in other reverbs.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #22
sub26nico

Quote:
Please try Beta release 1.9.9. Several changes since the last update. Both plugins now have a new slider "Early Send" that controls how much of the early reflection signal is mixed into the input to the late algorithm. Dragonfly Room now has both High Cut and Low Cut. Dragonfly Hall has a "Flutter" dial that controls the level of modulation; this will be simply renamed to "Modulation" for the 2.0.0 release in order to better follow existing conventions in other reverbs.
I have already test it and it works nicely (for the few things I've done).
Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #23
JamesPeters

Quote:
STOP RUINING IT BY MAKING UNNECESSARY CHANGES!!!

These are awesome now. Everyone: download them!