Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

Lugnut, I'm a righty but my left hand is more developed. Go figure that one out. I'm guessing that it's mostly from playing guitar and bass.

But yea, I have been doing what you mentioned, observing my left hand grip and stroke and trying to match it with my right. Just a couple of practice sessions over a couple of days has already been helpful. What I noticed right away, along with my right hand feeling stiffer, is that my right hand stroke is much sloppier and slower than my left. So slowing down my right hand and focusing on a relaxed grip and stroke seems to be the way to go. It's really noticeable when doing steady double strokes with one hand. It's alot like bouncing a basketball where the ball returns back to the hand effortlessly (left hand) vs. bouncing a basketball that is low on air where the ball doesn't want to come back as easily and might return off center of the hand (right hand). So more precisely defined, it seems to be about finding the right grip and stroke alignment for natural stroke rebound. Everything feels good when my right hand gets in that zone where the stick easily rebounds inline with the stroke, rather than a sloppy eliptical movement.

And watching this video was really helpful in identifying what the problem is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN8UWHvoELs Notice how effortless his rebound is and how it is inline with the stroke. It's like a greased hinge. I am essentially doing what he described, playing in a wave from slow to fast but isolating my right hand and making sure that the rebound is effortless and inline with the stroke.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm using matched grip.

Last edited by brainwreck; 06-22-2018 at 11:06 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote