Old 01-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
trock
Human being with feelings

Default MCU and 2 extenders?

well i have to say i am pretty impressed with reaper. didn't even know it really existed till a few days ago. one thing i have been setting up in sonar 6 is an MCU and 2 extenders. for me, i really like this set up and would like to implement it in Reaper if it is possible. i run these units into a MOTU midi express 128.

i have done some search's but cannot find a definitive answer on if this is supported in reaper, or if it is exactly how to set it up?

can someone guide me thru this if it is supported? and if not is it in the works down the road?

thanks for any help
trock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
well i have to say i am pretty impressed with reaper. didn't even know it really existed till a few days ago. one thing i have been setting up in sonar 6 is an MCU and 2 extenders. for me, i really like this set up and would like to implement it in Reaper if it is possible. i run these units into a MOTU midi express 128.

i have done some search's but cannot find a definitive answer on if this is supported in reaper, or if it is exactly how to set it up?

can someone guide me thru this if it is supported? and if not is it in the works down the road?

thanks for any help

I'm not sure how the extenders are accessed, since I don't have one, but this is what I'd try:

1) Get the main MCU working by adding an item to the control surfaces section, setting it to MCU mode, and selecting the right inputs/outputs.

2) Once that's working, try adding the firest extender the same way, just giving it the correct MIDI ports, and giving it a track offset of 8.

See if that works If it doesn't, anybody have a MCU extender I can borrow for a few days? Alternatively, giving me midi-ox dumps of what the mcu extender does on different actions might work...

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Jason Brian Merrill

haha Justin you are going to get your hands on more gear than ever before!!! haha... let's hope you dont start creating bugs just to get people to let you borrow their Virus TI or something

j/k
Old 01-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
trock

wow

thanks justin! i will try it and let you know. if you can implement his if it doesn't work now that would be great!! thanks for the response and help!

i will try it tonight if i can and post back

thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
trock

well hot damn justin

that worked perfectly, i have an MCU and 1 xt working, now to get the other one (i actually don't have it here yet but will next week)

what should i do to set up a second XT ??

thanks alot, this is SO SWEET!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
trock

one thing i just noticed justin is he track names are not at the top of the XT like the MCU and there is no LED meter dispaly either

just an FYI

thanks!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
well hot damn justin

that worked perfectly, i have an MCU and 1 xt working, now to get the other one (i actually don't have it here yet but will next week)

what should i do to set up a second XT ??

thanks alot, this is SO SWEET!!!
for the second XT, set its offset to 16..

as for the meters/etc, I'll take a look as to why that is...

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
trock

Hye justin

just wanted to let you know, and i am sure you know this, that the track label and meter read out at the top of the MCU or XT follows the offset setting. i switched the MCU to be offset by 8 and the XT to 0 so my fader flow made a little more sense in terms of ergonomics. so i would think you just need to put that functionality into offset 8, 16 etc

which i am sure is alot harder then me just tossing it out there like this

but thanks for all the work
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
sstillwell

Quote:
Hye justin

just wanted to let you know, and i am sure you know this, that the track label and meter read out at the top of the MCU or XT follows the offset setting. i switched the MCU to be offset by 8 and the XT to 0 so my fader flow made a little more sense in terms of ergonomics. so i would think you just need to put that functionality into offset 8, 16 etc

which i am sure is alot harder then me just tossing it out there like this

but thanks for all the work
It just depends on whether you're physically setting the extender to the left or the right of the MCU...unless I'm totally misunderstanding you.

But otherwise, yes...you can define the MCUs and XTs in any (offset) order you wish.

Scott
sstillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #10
doublehelix

I also have an MCU and 2 XTs, and would love to know that they will work well with Reaper. Did you ever figure out how to get the meters and scribble strips working on all 3 units.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
~Napoleon Bonaparte
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #11
trock

Hi

all 3 work great, in terms of faders, pans, mute, solo, select rec/ready etc.

if you set one to ofset of 8 or 16 though, those do not show the scribble strips or meters. just the first one with an offset of 0

BUT

i am 2 updates behind so i will update and check that tonight i hope
Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Jimmy is leaning on me for adding XT's too and the c4

maybe time to beef this up
Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #13
olzzon

I have a Tascam US2400 running in Mackie Controller mode.
All 24 faders works fine, it´s accessed like Mackie Extenders.

Here´s what working and not:

Volume, Pan, solo, mute, Transport works perfect (and this is what i mainly use it for)

a) Bank change, only changes the first 8 faders, so when you press it once, it changes to 9-16 etc.
b) Flip fader/pot, flips the first 8 faders but not the rest. But as long as we haven´t got aux sends working then these aren´t that important.
c) Aux sends don´t seems to work, but to have to to work, you´d have to define which tracks are aux tracks in reaper. So i guess it´s a little more complicated. The reason i´d like flip and aux sends to works, is tht it´s a VERY fast way to set up a headphonemix.

There´s a solo all off in the master section, but this one react as if it´s solo on track one.

The job wheel, don´t react very well when you scroll fast on it, only when you use it slowly. But that´s probably due to the 15hz refresh rate, haven´t checked though.

My thought of a solution for the Xtenders problem not reacting to Flip and other things, would be to have an extra controller in preferences, called mackie extender. So that you use "mackie controller" for 8 of the fader and master fader. And "mackie extender" for the rest of them.

And bank change should change all faders not only those on the selected controller.

But all in all, i like the way reaper handles the controller.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
drew
Mobile

Default Incidentally....

Does this help with any info? Or is it just the info about handshaking that's outstanding now?

Meanwhile.. worth knowing that the MCU XT (the Mackie Control Extender) has MIDI in/out and can be connected directly *without* having the main unit.

If you only want 8 channels with track display and don't need external transport, edit controls or extra readout then you can do it that way.

Only one downside: no bank+/- or channel+/-

That means you either have to put the tracks you want to control as the first eight, or maybe there's a way to implement those commands as keyboard shortcuts (since you'd obviously be using keyboard for transport etc in this mode)

Strangest thing is that apparently the new MCU PRO Extender will STILL be MIDI, even though the main unit will be USB! I guess the USB bit is really just like a USB MIDI interface!

Last edited by drew; 03-15-2007 at 04:27 PM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #15
drew
Mobile

Default Some codes to send the MCU

Justin, it looks like REAPER doesn't currently send out data for the following indicators, so if you need the details...

example of one that is implemented (in case my format is confusing!)...
loop activate ? 7F5690 : 005690 (toggle on/off)

metronome active ? 7F4C90 : 004C90
any solo active ? 7F7390 : 007390
all FX bypass ? 7F4B90 : 004B90
play rate!=1.0 ? 7F6590 : 006590

finally not sure if the "mono" indicator is supposed to represent a master mono mix mode or mono monitoring (there's a tongue twister!) but...
mono mode ? 7F4E90 : 004E90

(dim & scrub are also unassigned.. at this point )

Also for the right "dots" to the right of each digit in the time display (used for readability in the different timing modes)...

from left to right the indicators (i) are numbered 9 to 0 (0 being to the right of the last digit)

dot lit ? 404iB0 : 004iB0

So for MS - indicators 3 & 5 should be on
For Measures & Beats - indicators 5 & 7 should be on
For Seconds - indicator 3 should be on
For Samples - none of the indicators should be on
and for HMSF - indicators 3, 5 & 7 should be on

Hope that's useful!

drew

Last edited by drew; 03-17-2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Extra codes found for time display dots!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote