Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
bong hits for jesus
Human being with feelings

Default Is EZ's pans working in Reaper?

Got EZ Vintage to multi-out in Reaper, fun!

Notice that the pans in the EZ vsti don't work though. Especially bad since all cymbals are on one fader. EZ has this double pan system where one can actually seperate the cymbals, even though they are on the same track. But in Reaper EZ pans aren't working? Concur?
bong hits for jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
billybk1

Pans in EZD's internal mixer or the pans in the actual multi-out VSTi tracks, from REAPER's TCP?

Either way, I have not experienced any problems using pan (internal mixer or TCP VSTi tracks). I just re-checked it again using the latest REAPER v1.830 and EZD VSTi(v1.04) with the Vintage Rock kit in multi-out VSTi mode. As before, it works like a charm. If you have REAPER & EZD installed, setup and configured correctly there should be no pan issues.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Last edited by billybk1; 03-25-2007 at 06:59 AM.
billybk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
bong hits for jesus

Yea the pans in the internal vsti mixer itself. They don't work here. mmmm....gotta sort this out....thanks! I mean they move and all, but nothing happens with sound. This is important for EZ because of the cymbals all being on the same overhead track.

Last edited by bong hits for jesus; 03-25-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
bong hits for jesus

Update. Vsti internal mixer pan works when I have the simple EZ vsti working with one channel but not multi-out'd. When I create multi-outs, internal Vsti pan doesn't work. Checked to see if the 'stereo-mono' buttons in routeing affeted it, no.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bong hits for jesus View Post
Update. Vsti internal mixer pan works when I have the simple EZ vsti working with one channel but not multi-out'd. When I create multi-outs, internal Vsti pan doesn't work. Checked to see if the 'stereo-mono' buttons in routeing affeted it, no.

Pan is working fine here. I almost always use EZD in multi-out VSTi mode with REAPER. Are you sure you have REAPER & EZD correctly setup for multi-out VSTi mode? Double check your routing scheme. During playback, when I pan (L/R) any channel, on the EZD internal mixer I can hear the sound move from one side to the other, very clearly.

Last edited by billybk1; 03-25-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
bong hits for jesus

Still no luck here. Vsti pans work when not multi out, but not when sended. Tried various things...still trying...thanks Billy, keep up the good work.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
Henry-S

Can I just ask Billy, when your using EZDrummer, how do you record drums along with audio without the timing going all out?

Are you just using the supplied loops and editing them in midi editor, its just I have highlighted in my post about the problems of being able to adjust midi parts because when played in via a controller keyboard its impossible to keep everything in time. This is when ealing with say 4 or 5 audio tracks and then your trying to play in a drum fill or something along with the guitars etc.

The pans should work, I think maybe you have your routing not setup correctly and would refer to the post that a very nice person put up about how to cfg your Reaper project for multi out drums. I have no problems with the overheads here and would suggest to most people who use EZDrummer to adjust the cymbals/overhead mics so that the mics are a little narrower as most people who have commented on a recent mix I did said "love the drums, but the image for them is too wide".

Old 03-25-2007, 04:14 PM   #8
billybk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry-S View Post
Can I just ask Billy, when your using EZDrummer, how do you record drums along with audio without the timing going all out?
Are you just using the supplied loops and editing them in midi editor......
I don't ever record EZD live (realtime). I always use the supplied MIDI drum loops. In addition to the thousands of loops I got with EZD (Pop/Rock, Cocktail & Vintage Rock), I also have thousands more from Groove Monkey (Rock/Country bundle collection) which are all EZD compatible. Once I get a drum arrangement fleshed out (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro etc.), I'll add the fills and then I'll manually do any minor editing to suit the song via the MIDI editor. I tend to use EZD in multi-out VSTi mode so I can further massage (using my UAD-1 plugins) the individual drum tracks, as needed, to suit the song & arrangement.

There are a couple of tracks that I posted on acidplanet using EZD in this fashion. In fact, the pic in my earlier post is from the actual finished Playground REAPER session. Mostly stock MIDI drum loops (from Vintage Rock EZX) with some minor editing:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=1755&T=3472

Playground: used REAPER & EZD (Vintage Rock kit)
Elephant Walk: used ACID Pro 6 & EZD ( Pop/Rock kit)

Quote:
I have no problems with the overheads here and would suggest to most people who use EZDrummer to adjust the cymbals/overhead mics so that the mics are a little narrower as most people who have commented on a recent mix I did said "love the drums, but the image for them is too wide".
Thanks, nice tip! I'll try to remember to narrow the L/R pan width next time I mix.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Last edited by billybk1; 03-25-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
bong hits for jesus

Follow up: Yea I had some routeing misunderstandings. This set me straight:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4684

I guess you have to choose channels 1/2, 3/4 etc to have stereo. Thing to remember with this routeing stuff is the 'channels' in the routeing page are virtual, invisible. The 'tracks' come from either Reaper or the Vsti.

Thanks again y'all.

Last edited by bong hits for jesus; 03-27-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
psingman

Hi, I am having some problems still using the EZdrummer setup inside Reaper. If someone has a method that they has been successful in the past recording with this procedure, please send me a private message or post it here so we can all access it, thanks, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote