Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
n8ouz
Human being with feelings

Default No Audio Out on Macbook Air / Mountain Lion

Hello,
I just downloaded and am evaluating this, and I really like the interface and want to purchase.

I added a track, armed it, recorded, and went to play back --- NOTHING.

The VU on the master track is moving with my "hello test 123" on repeat, but .. no audio at all.

Macbook Air running Mountain Lion.

Help?
n8ouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Welcome to the forums!

Did you go to Preferences->Audio->Device to select your audio interface (or the 'default device')? While you're there, check the "request block size" and "request sample rate" checkboxes and set them to reasonable/supported values for your device.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
n8ouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Did you go to Preferences->Audio->Device to select your audio interface (or the 'default device')? While you're there, check the "request block size" and "request sample rate" checkboxes and set them to reasonable/supported values for your device.
Hi Ollie,
For "Audio Device" I am using the Built-in Microphone.
I have "Request sample rate" checked and set to 44100
I have "Request block size" checked and set to 512.

It seems to record, and I can play the wav file with finder, but I get NOTHING when playing back from within Reaper. it's like it can't send to the speakers or something.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sorry, multitrack DAW software is not really meant to be used with build-in laptop microphones, you need to coax it a little into getting that to work.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=89315
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
n8ouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Sorry, multitrack DAW software is not really meant to be used with build-in laptop microphones, you need to coax it a little into getting that to work.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=89315

The mic is not the issue. It records just fine.

Attaching a screenshot of me recording my voice saying test. It shows me finding the wav files in terminal, opening in finder, and playing them.

The issue is that Reaper, whether i record audio with it, import a track, or open a project someone else did, cannot produce sound through the laptop. Either via headphones or the built in speakers.

So in summary, it is not input-related. the wav files it records sound fine.
The issue is that it plays nothing. no sound at all. you can see in the screenshot i have it playing on loop, and the VU are moving as if i should be hearing something. i hear nothing. Volume is max on the laptop. i can play stuff through finder and itunes and even CLI "play" command just fine. something is wrong with how Reaper handles audio output.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
serr

The issue is the mic is only an input.
You need an output if you want to hear anything.

Make an aggregate device (use the app Audio MIDI Setup in Applications/Utilities) of both the mic and the built-in output. Select this aggregate device in Preferences/Audio/Device.
Note, you could also select either built-in output or built-in mic separately if you wanted (you'd then have to switch back and forth for recording vs playback).

Now you can add this output pair to your master bus.

Nothing wrong with Reaper. It's still patiently waiting for device selections.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
n8ouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The issue is the mic is only an input.
You need an output if you want to hear anything.

Make an aggregate device (use the app Audio MIDI Setup in Applications/Utilities) of both the mic and the built-in output. Select this aggregate device in Preferences/Audio/Device.
Note, you could also select either built-in output or built-in mic separately if you wanted (you'd then have to switch back and forth for recording vs playback).

Now you can add this output pair to your master bus.
Well. that was simple, and it worked.
Golly - I've used aggregate devices before with Audacity and GarageBand, but only to pair input devices (several USB 48kHz dual-inputs to record 6+ tracks simultaneously for our band and what not) but had never tried to pair an input and output device into one for this purpose. I fully expected to see a seperate option somewhere in Reaper for "output device" and thought maybe I wasn't finding it.

This makes some sense now, and is working. Thank you!