Old 01-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
sodium
Human being with feelings

Default New Yamaha O1V96*i* as control surface?

Hi all,

The new O1V96i looks sweet with 16 i/o USB2 and I would buy two right now if the update now worked as a control surface for Reaper.

Was just wondering if anyone has heard, read or even managed to make the new yammy desk work under reaper?

Hell, I'd even settle for getting my O1V96vcm to controll reaper!

Cheers and TIA!
na
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
HIO

Man, I never clicked on a post so fast in my life. I thought you were going to say that my two Yamaha boards are gonna stop gathering dust and be great controllers for REAPER. NOT!!!! I am with you bro and it is a crying shame that most people look at control surfaces these days like they never used one before including the Cockos developers and Yamaha is equally at fault here as well but I do not know of one single *major* DAW out there that has so little surface controller support. It is the only thing I do not like about Reaper.

Mice and keyboard mixing,... yeah right. That is just pure unadulterated baby stuff!!!
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
sodium

Hey HIO,

Man, I am with you 110%!!!!!!

I have an O1V96vcm that I use for it's pres and have added a Dante 16 i/o card which is really cool but am reduced to u"sing a Korg nanoKontrol2 for rudimentary control surface tasks.

I have asked Yamaha here (in OZ) to look into the new desk to see what the go is with getting some connectivity with Reaper but hold no great hopes they will come back with anything, especially as they are bundling Cubase with their new desks

So the question is..."how do we go about urging/asking/petitioning Cockos to implement some sort of interaction between the great Yammy desks and Reaper?"

Im kind of new to this board, so is there a forum/section where these sorts of requests can be made? Maybe we can get enough support to shake something loose. God knows Ive turned more than 20 people on to Reaper and am alwys boring my friends and colleagues to tears with endless raves about how great it is, but this chink in its armour is really really disappointing

Hell, I'd even be willing to sling someone a couple of hundred bucks to write a script/program to do this seemingly easy enough thing.

Cheers mate and lets keep on this quest,
na
Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
ronmac

I think you will find that the newer version uses same command structure as VCM version, so not much hope that there is any relief there.

I would love to be proven wrong.
ronmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium View Post
Hey HIO, Man, I am with you 110%!!!!!!
sodium,

Your post makes me think we are simpatico mi amigo. If you were to do a search with my name on these here forums you will find that I have been trying to get surface controller support in Reaper for two years.

I have made feature requests and have participated in many threads while offering to pay a coder and even offered to loan one of my boards.

I talk about how Pro Tools, Cubase, Nuendo and even Sonar will work with Yamaha boards but not sure about 64 bits in Sonar now. If you do a search at the Sonar forum you will find that I was able to get a .dll file made from a programmer and had it working in Sonar years back after over a week of work(I shouldn’t have mentioned .dll files because Mac people don’t like that kind of file). LOL!!!

I have also spoken about how Yammy boards make fantastic DAW controllers because they are well built and have a ton of 100mm motorized faders.

I could go on and on and on but check out a few threads if you have the time and check out some of my comments if you haven’t already.

I especially remember your post with the pictures of the cupcakes and sprinkles you were offering for any assistance on this issue and that was the first time I ever wanted to be a programmer.

There are many Reaper users wanting better surface control support and many Yamaha users with boards wanting to use Reaper.

Yamaha could sell more boards and Reaper could sell more licenses.

Word out on the Streets of San Francisco is that Justin JUST isn’t into this issue so maybe we should start harassing Yamaha. Whatdoyouthink????
Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
duffman

I have been reading/watching this thread to see what may or may not transpire. I am looking for a new front end for my studio and when I saw this post I got shivers with anticipation that maybe, just maybe I was gonna read that one of you had Reaper working with one of those Yammy boards.

So how do I help you guys beat the drums, send smoke signals, to try and create a possibility?

Duff
duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
sodium

hey duffman,HIO,ronmac et al....;p

not sure best way to go about raising awareness for this request, but let's initially keep this thread going and maybe we can even start gathering names on a group request for future features in reaper? i'm gigging this weekend but will check in on monday and post here so we can get some momentum and hopefully shake something out of the tree.

cheers,
cj

ps again,not sure what the procedure is for making request for features...can anyone point me in the right direction please? any help or tips much appreciated. TIA!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium View Post
hey duffman,HIO,ronmac et al....;p

not sure best way to go about raising awareness for this request, but let's initially keep this thread going and maybe we can even start gathering names on a group request for future features in reaper? i'm gigging this weekend but will check in on monday and post here so we can get some momentum and hopefully shake something out of the tree.

cheers,
cj

ps again,not sure what the procedure is for making request for features...can anyone point me in the right direction please? any help or tips much appreciated. TIA!
Reaper/Forum/REAPER Feature Request

Like I said, been there and *I* have done that. Go for it!!! Cheers!!! Ching Ching
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
sergiovillard

Default +1 Yamaha/REAPER user :-(

I am the REAPER user two years ago, I saw the ads for the new Yamaha 01v96i and the new characteristic of the usb port and control the DAW, I went running to buy and when I tried to make it control the REAPER ... it was very frustrating, I would love that existed between the two support, but so far nothing! I am not a great connoisseur of information about conversations and midi protocols, then I am even more lost, found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cjJ8e4-p_y4
Will be possible to use this plugin to run the 01v96i with the REAPER?
Go there in the forum contribute with my request too! Sorry my bad English!
sergiovillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiovillard View Post
I am the REAPER user two years ago, I saw the ads for the new Yamaha 01v96i and the new characteristic of the usb port and control the DAW, I went running to buy and when I tried to make it control the REAPER ... it was very frustrating, I would love that existed between the two support, but so far nothing! I am not a great connoisseur of information about conversations and midi protocols, then I am even more lost, found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cjJ8e4-p_y4
Will be possible to use this plugin to run the 01v96i with the REAPER?
Go there in the forum contribute with my request too! Sorry my bad English!
>>>Will be possible to use this plugin to run the 01v96i with the REAPER?

To answer your question. No. Unfortunately not!!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
artcrime

Default HMMM

I have my 01v96i working with reaper, it seems to work with the HUI partial control surface, but it works best with the Mackie control (Klinke)
I still have a few issues, a lot of the time reaper complains that THE MIDI I/O CANT BE OPENED (sorry caps)this is annoying and I havent worked this out yet, if anyone can help with that I would be grateful.
The best thing about klinke is that it is highly configurable.
Once I get the damn midi behaving I will make a proper template.
In the meantime, I highly recommend touchdaw, if you have an android tablet.
best 4 buxx I ever spent, I can stand in the middle of the room and do surround mixes. ANyway thats it.
A|C
http://arthurcrime.tumblr.com/
artcrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:46 AM   #12
BorsingPhoto

Default Yamaha 01V96i and Reaper?

I'm about to upgrade my project studio and have found that for my needs the Yamaha 01V96i seems to be the best digital mixer / control surface that fits within my rather large shopping list in 2015. The Yamaha 01V96i seem to be the ONLY board that can be remotely controlled like AVIDS Eleven rack, use ALL faders AND send/receive audio to/from (also using ProTools 11) my DAW to as they say, "mix outside of the box" if I'd wanted to (not that I expect that I ever will with my new HP Z640)..
Old 08-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
sergiovillard

Default Reaper 5

reaper 5, will now be possible to use Yamaha 01V96i as control surface?
sergiovillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
LugNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiovillard View Post
reaper 5, will now be possible to use Yamaha 01V96i as control surface?
Hi,
If you look at post 11 you see that the yammy supports MCP..that's a flavor of midi protocol that's used on the Mackie MCU........others are hui ..etc.
If you are on windows I would suggest trying klinkes CS....and set the Yammy to MCP...Mackie control protocol.
I use it with my old Mackie d8b, with a 10 inch tablet as a second PC monitor..works well.
Hth,

Guido
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #15
fael097

Hey, I installed klinke, configured and I can even see midi communication on my 01v96i's display, but I'm not sure how to setup next. Any commands from the remote layer won't do anything in reaper. What should I do next?
fael097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
fael097

anyone? I'm struggling hard with this
Old 07-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #17
LugNut

Hi,
Since the o1v emulates a MCU, look at what buttons are which in the yammy manual. Then look in the first few pages of klinkes manual. That should get you going.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
fael097

it's working with reaper's hui implementation but master fader doesn't work. I have no idea wich daw mode in yammy emulates MCU, but I tried all of them with klinke and none works. I'm on reaper 5 btw.