Old 02-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
mr. moon
Human being with feelings

Default Waves SSL 4000 VSTs: no go?

I have tried posting this in a couple of other ongoing threads, but I'll now try to post it as it's own topic to see if I hear from anyone.

Reaper will not "see" my Waves SSL 4000 VSTs as VST effects. The only way I can get them to work at all in Reaper is by installing the Cakewalk VST adapter from my SONAR 5 installation DVD and running it configured to access my systems VST directory where the Waves plugs were installed. Only then will Reaper gain access to them, and not as VST effects (i.e. "VST:XXX") but as DX-wrapped VST effects (i.e. "DX: VST XXX"). Once they are wrapped by the Cakewalk VST wrapper, they work perfectly in Reaper and are listed as DX effects.

...I'm hoping that other folks running the Waves SSL 4000 plugs will chime in and let me know how they are working for them in Reaper.

TIA.

-mr moon
mr. moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
Ben Zero

They work fine here - I'm running the native DirectX versions. Try that

B
Ben Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Zero View Post
They work fine here - I'm running the native DirectX versions. Try that

B
Yeah, the DirectX versions work, however I'm wondering why the VST versions won't work in Reaper.

-mr moon
Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Arclight
Banned

I have the same problem with the Waves SSL 4000 plugins. Can't see the VSTs in Reaper.

Roger
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
mr. moon

Actually now that I look at it, only the stereo version are available in the DirectX versions, only the VSTs have the mono versions available. Does anyone else experience this same thing?

-mr moon
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Arclight
Banned

Bump... Exact same thing here.

Roger
Old 02-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Bevoss

Yeah, same here, seems to work fine in DX though.
Bevoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevoss View Post
Yeah, same here, seems to work fine in DX though.
Do you get the mono version of them in DX format?

Only the stereo version "DX: Waves XXX stereo" is available to me in DX format, unless I run the VST wrapper; then I get a "VST: DX Waves XXX mono" option

-mr moon
Old 02-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Bevoss

Yeah, seems to be stereo option only...does that use more cpu? What's the drawback...?

Thanks for making me look...I didn't realise SSLEQ was in DX too, now I can use it again!

edit: sorry, I thought you meant Waves diamond bundle! idiot.....
Bevoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
mr. moon

[QUOTE=Bevoss;46051]Yeah, seems to be stereo option only...does that use more cpu? What's the drawback...?
/QUOTE]

The drawback is that on some individual (mono) instrument tracks (i.e. bass guitar) I have found the mono version to be more accurate and realistic sounding than the stereo version; they also seem to create a sound that allows the instrument to be more successfully placed into a mix correctly ...however, YMMV.

-mr moon
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

There's an app around that converts a waveshell DLL into a DLL for each VST.. REAPER seems to do better with it...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #12
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
There's an app around that converts a waveshell DLL into a DLL for each VST.. REAPER seems to do better with it...
I tried that months ago, and it worked ...once. Then after that, the plugs wouldn't work properly. I think another forum user reported the same thing happening too.

-mr moon
Old 02-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #13
Trogdor

I have the same thing, I have only the Direct X ones and they are in stereo as well.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #14
mr. moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hey Justin, so are you saying that if I want to use the mono Waves SSl plugs in Reaper, I should probably hang onto the Cakewalk VST wrapper?

-mr moon
Old 02-09-2007, 01:06 AM   #15
Casualty

Same problem here

The mono versions should show up as DX plugs as well - they show up as DX plug ins in both stereo and mono versions in Vegas and Sound Forge at least....
Casualty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #16
Arclight
Banned

I tried the shell2vst utility that Justin mentioned and it seems to work fine in Reaper as I'm able to see the Waves VSTs now. The only ones I don't see are the SSL 4000s even though the shell2vst app created the individual VSTs for them.

Roger
Old 02-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #17
mr. moon

Update:

Under Vista, the cakewalk vst wrapper no longer allows the mono versions of the DX (or VST) waves SSL plugs to run in Reaper.

Is this Waves SSL 4000 issue something that will be addressed down the road, or should I not expect to use them with Reaper? ...Which really would suck because I love using the mono versions on instrument tracks, while the stereo versions (which work fine in Reaper under Vista) are best used on stems, or what you would call "folders" (I think).

-mr moon
Old 02-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #18
mr. moon

OK, we're getting closer, I guess.

In 1.806 I could not access the Mono SSL plugs at all, and any project that had them included would give me an error message when opened.

In 1.807 I do not receive the error messages when opening projects with the mono plugs included, however I cannot add the mono plugs in a new project unless I save the mono version from a pre-existing projects as an FX chain, and then add it in that way. They still show up as "DX: VST SSL..." plugs in te fx chain, as the cakewalk vst wrapper has to be used for the system to access the mono versions whatsoever. There is still no way for me to access the VST mono versions without the vst wrapper.

-mr moon
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #19
likenokevin

I'm trying to use VB Audio FFX4 wrapper and from within the FFX4 UI I can see the mono SSL plugs but when I try to load it it says...

"INPUT PIN does not accept Format"

The stereo ones load fine within the FFX4.

Does the above error mean anything to you, Justin?
likenokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #20
mr. moon

Default Waves SSL Mono workaround!!

Hey, I think I found a "kludge" fix to get the mono plugs to work on mono tracks that are hard panned to the right side, which they would not do because the Waves mono plugins appear to only "read" and "effect" the only left channel the signal that passes through it. Meaning that any mono signal that passes through them will be effected if it is panned to the middle or hard-left, but not at all if hard-panned to the right.

All you need to do is drop an instance of the "JS: Utility/chanmix2" after the Waves Mono plugin of your choice, use my little preset (see below), and you're good to go. It will then take your effected right-side aligned mono track signal (i.e. right side overhead) and pass it on to the right side. It will work if you have the track you want to be hard-panned to the right panned anywhere from center to hard-right. However, this probably depends on the panning law used in the project, but there are people with bigger brains around here who could confirm this...

To use my template, you'll have to import it into your "JS: Utility/chanmix2" and then apply it as a preset.

-mr moon
Attached Files
File Type: rpl MoonRSWavesEnabler.RPL (221 Bytes, 232 views)

Last edited by mr. moon; 03-13-2007 at 08:00 AM. Reason: terminology edit
Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #21
olzzon

Have you guys mailed Waves about these issues?
I think it´s good to tell them that some of their customers are using Reaper, so that it over time will be on their supported list.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #22
tedw@rigo

Default Nice ideas...

Nice ideas... it's OK for me now...
Reaper is new for me and i love it !!!
tedw@rigo is offline   Reply With Quote