Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
pianoplaying
Human being with feelings

Default "JS: Time Adjustment Delay" not multi-channel capable

Running Reaper 5.23 x64 on Windows 8.1 x64

Wanted to process a 4-channel track containing a 3-channel file by applying different delay values to the channels.

Inserted 3x "JS: Time Adjustment Delay" on the track, i.e.
--plug #1: I/O (4in/4out) set to (exclusively) channel 1 in/out; delay x spls
--plug #2: I/O (4in/4out) set to (excl.) channel 2 in/out; delay y spls
--plug #3: I/O (4in/4out) set to (excl.) channel 3 in/out; delay z spls

Result of rendering: 4-channel file with channels 1 and 2 having delay x and y respectively, but channel 3 showing delay 0.

So, the "JS: Time Adjustment Delay" seems to process only the first two channels, although presenting a multi-channel I/O routing window.

Thank you...
pianoplaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
EpicSounds

This belongs in the JSFX forum
http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

I think you'll find most plugins are made to work in stereo

In this case, click EDIT at the top

See where it says spl0 and spl1? That's the channel. With a little copying and pasting and changing the spl#s you should be able to make a multi-channel version.

And if you do, please share
Old 08-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
pianoplaying

Thanks a lot for the info and the hint to the EDITing possibilities, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum section (wasn't aware of the special section for JSFX)!

Well, then we have no bug in that JS plug, concerning its capabilities.
BUT nevertheless things are, to my mind, not completely OK, because a plug only being stereo-capable should not report contrarily by presenting multiple channels in the I/O window. There's a bug, to my mind.

The user should be able to trust the channel count given in the I/O mask of the plugin window, and so far I always have found that plugins reported their respective capabilities correctly (I never tried JS plugs on 3-channel tracks before, and seldom at all).
Would I have used JS plugs more often so far, maybe I would have become aware of this problem earlier, but nevertheless the correct way to get around such disorder (or irritation) on the side of the user is to have all plugins report their channel capabilities correctly (as I am used to by other 2-channel plugs like Ozone etc.).

Thank you again...
Old 08-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplaying View Post
Thanks a lot for the info and the hint to the EDITing possibilities, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum section (wasn't aware of the special section for JSFX)!

Well, then we have no bug in that JS plug, concerning its capabilities.
BUT nevertheless things are, to my mind, not completely OK, because a plug only being stereo-capable should not report contrarily by presenting multiple channels in the I/O window. There's a bug, to my mind.

The user should be able to trust the channel count given in the I/O mask of the plugin window, and so far I always have found that plugins reported their respective capabilities correctly (I never tried JS plugs on 3-channel tracks before, and seldom at all).
Would I have used JS plugs more often so far, maybe I would have become aware of this problem earlier, but nevertheless the correct way to get around such disorder (or irritation) on the side of the user is to have all plugins report their channel capabilities correctly (as I am used to by other 2-channel plugs like Ozone etc.).

Thank you again...

It's up to the coder of the JS FX to indicate or not an amount of input and output pins (and name them). Very few actually utilize this. Years ago there was an issue where declaring a set number of outputs could cause higher cpu utilization in some situations. I believe Justin was able to optimize that and should not be an issue anymore. I have not tested it recently.

It would be good practice, I agree, for in and output pins be named/defined in JS.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
pianoplaying

Quote:
It's up to the coder of the JS FX to indicate or not an amount of input and output pins (and name them). Very few actually utilize this.
Well, maybe, don't know about such details, but seemingly you are right.

If so, and in case there's no indication by the plugin, the host software should display a note near the place of the I/O button that the user please check the actual I/O capabilities of the plugin for correct routing within the plugin!

It's all about user friendlyness, to prevent incorrect use of a certain plugin (by a user not being aware of the restricted capabilities of that plugin and therefore thinking he/she processes also the 3rd/4th etc. channel while in reality only the two first channels are processed)!

One simply can get around the restriction in channel capability, i.e. by parallel processing the additional channels with one or several further instances of the same plugin, with according I/O settings. That's not the problem, but one first has to know that this workaround is necessary. And that is what requires a correct I/O presentation by the plug or else a note by the host software that there is no correct report by the plugin on its multi-channel capabilities...
Old 08-31-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
semiquaver

I think this should be seen as a bug. if not its a good FR. JS plugs should not allow connections to inputs that are not there.
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote