Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 01-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
AugerJ
Human being with feelings

Default Distinguish MIDI items from audio items (to use a different timebase by default)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hi,

this is scriptable (I already have a working test script).

Questions:

- It's possible to have items with audio and MIDI takes.
What should happen then ?

Timebase for items containing both audio and MIDI: Time .

Time-stretching audio can affect the sound quite unpleasantly,
whilst time stretching MIDI — cannot.
So, where and when audio is involved, time-stretching should be turned off by default, in my opinion.

Quote:
- Should this script work on all items in the project or only selected ones ?
On all of them.

Quote:
edit:
I know your request is about having this as a default, automatic setting. But in case doing it via a script in the meantime would help...
I think I will set some custom action consisting of several chosen scripts as a global startup action, after all...
So, scripts are welcome )
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
nofish

Luckily I still had this test script from 2 years ago lying around lol.
I've just refined it a bit and uploaded it to ReaPack, script name: Set all items to timebase Time if at least containing one audio or video take, else to timebase Beats (pos., length, rate)

Let me know how it works..

(Note: My ReaPack repo isn't enabled by default in ReaPack, so if you haven't done so, you must import it first, see link in my sig.)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #3
AugerJ

Quote:
Let me know how it works..
For some reason, I thought that the script would affect all the items, including the ones yet to be imported into the project.
Is that change possible?
So that the script could be used as a startup action.

Other than that it works as expected: it changed the video and audio items’ timebase from “Project default” to “Time”, and the MIDI item’s timebase — from “Project default” to “Beats (position, length, rate)” (which was the project default timebase, if it matters).
Old 01-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
nofish

Oh, my bad, I see in the thread title "(to use a different timebase by default)" so yeah, that also should include the items yet to be imported.
Somehow I missed that and thought the request is about a "run and change all currently present items" script.

I currently haven't an idea how to do this 'by default' (other than the scripts running continously in the background so it would 'catch' also the new items but that would be quite inefficient, constantly iterating through all items in the project.)

Sorry, hopefully someone else chimes in with a better idea.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
AugerJ

Quote:
I currently haven't an idea how to do this 'by default' (other than the scripts running continously in the background so it would 'catch' also the new items but that would be quite inefficient, constantly iterating through all items in the project.)
I have to agree.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #6
BirdBird

Scripting it by tracking Undo History for every action that creates new media items would make it possible without iterating over every media item I guess, but it would still be prone to breaking as you add more and more third party scripts or custom actions that create items. It would be great to have media item defaults like we have track defaults.
BirdBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
Joe90

Surely Reaper CAN distinguish between an audio item and midi item, otherwise how would it know which action to do when double-clicking on an item, for example?

Totally agree with the gist of the thread though, especially this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post
It would be great to have media item defaults like we have track defaults.
I'd like this for a different reason - I would like midi items mix behaviour to be set to 'always mix' by default, so midi items behave like they do in Cubase. It makes overdubbing and layering midi parts on one track much more convenient and straightforward. I guess a script could work around it, but it wouldn't help while recording midi overdubs, we'd need a native solution for that I'm guessing.

If mix behaviour could be set on a track level then I could at least save it into my track templates for all my VSTi's, but it's item or project level only, and project level is no good because I don't want my audio items always mixing.
should do that too.

So yeah - another vote for separate media item and midi item defaults in the preferences or project setup page.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote