Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default SOLVED: Installed Yabridge and yabridge ctrl but still have to use Terminal?

Is that correct? even though installed automatically from pacman, I can not locate these in the program list, so I am assuming they must be run from terminal, yes?

If so, what is the procedure please? Not for setting u[ VST's that is on the Yabridge page, I mean opening yabridge in the first place?

Last edited by pax-eterna; 07-28-2021 at 05:51 PM.
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:26 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Is that correct? even though installed automatically from pacman, I can not locate these in the program list, so I am assuming they must be run from terminal, yes?

If so, what is the procedure please? Not for setting u[ VST's that is on the Yabridge page, I mean opening yabridge in the first place?
You only need to issue two commands in a terminal window. The first one you are telling Yabridge where your Windows plugins are.

~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl add "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/"

The second command says now bridge (sync) the plugins at the location from the first command.

~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl sync

Then you are done unless you add more Windows plugins where you would need to run only the sync command again so that they get bridged.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
pax-eterna

Cool, thanks Glenn... I'm sure the last time around on the mery go round I asked about this, but couldn't recall where.

EDIT: tried that first command and got : bash: /.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl: No such file or directory - I'm assuming as it was an automated install it would be the same syntax as your post?
Old 07-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Cool, thanks Glenn... I'm sure the last time around on the mery go round I asked about this, but couldn't recall where.

EDIT: tried that first command and got : bash: /.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl: No such file or directory - I'm assuming as it was an automated install it would be the same syntax as your post?
Did you include the tilde at front of the lines I posted?

That expands to /home/USERNAME, and if you omit it, you will get the error you saw.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:06 AM   #5
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Did you include the tilde at front of the lines I posted?

That expands to /home/USERNAME, and if you omit it, you will get the error you saw.

When installing yabridge through a package manager like pax-eterna did, yabridgectl will just be installed to /usr/bin/yabridge. Pacman won't place any files in your home directory. So you should just run `yabridge`, since it's in your search path, not `~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl` because that doesn't exist. (don't include the backticks of course)
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
When installing yabridge through a package manager like pax-eterna did, yabridgectl will just be installed to /usr/bin/yabridge. Pacman won't place any files in your home directory. So you should just run `yabridge`, since it's in your search path, not `~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl` because that doesn't exist. (don't include the backticks of course)
So if installing via pacman, do I use Yabridge or yabridge-bin? And/or the Yabridgectl a bit further down?

I must admit I am still not having any joy with this.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
robbert-vdh

Quote:
So if installing via pacman, do I use Yabridge or yabridge-bin? And/or the Yabridgectl a bit further down?

I must admit I am still not having any joy with this.
As mentioned in the readme, you either install yabridge-bin which, being a -bin package, means that you won't have to compile anything, or you install both the yabridge and the yabridgectl packages. But, if you're not planning to use any Windows plugins then, there's also no reason to even install any of this in the first place. REAPER supports native Linux VST2, VST3, and LV2 plugins out of the box.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
pax-eterna

Quote:
As mentioned in the readme, you either install yabridge-bin which, being a -bin package, means that you won't have to compile anything, or you install both the yabridge and the yabridgectl packages. But, if you're not planning to use any Windows plugins then, there's also no reason to even install any of this in the first place. REAPER supports native Linux VST2, VST3, and LV2 plugins out of the box.
Thanks Robert - I have just acquired a piece of hardware that has rather excellent third party editing apps, that are unfortunately not ported to Linux..hence the very reluctant re-examining of running WINE......which got me to thinking, weeeellll, if I install WINE I might as will run Yarbridge to run a few select apps...

But, offsetting all of this is the thought that once I choose the dark side forever will it control my destiny
Old 07-28-2021, 01:07 PM   #9
JamesPeters

Yabridge isn't for running anything other than Windows VST, in Linux. It's not for running any "apps" at all. You don't need it to run anything that Wine could run. Yabridge uses Wine (it has to), but Yabridge isn't Wine.

As for whether those apps will run in Wine or not, that's another story. (Including if they're supposed to talk to some hardware using Windows drivers.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #10
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Yabridge isn't for running anything other than Windows VST, in Linux. It's not for running any "apps" at all. You don't need it to run anything that Wine could run. Yabridge uses Wine (it has to), but Yabridge isn't Wine.

As for whether those apps will run in Wine or not, that's another story. (Including if they're supposed to talk to some hardware using Windows drivers.)
Thanks James..confirmed with the dev that he has users whoe are running them under WINE, that's sorta what I'm going on. I am still evaluating the manual as to wther a lot of this stuff can be done on the keyboard itself....short answer at this stage is yes, but with a LOT of menu diving...and pretty much no "Librarian" tool at all.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:51 PM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
I was notified by the package manager that a new version of Yabridge was available, and I installed it through the package manager. I was previously using Yabridge from the self contained zip file, that I unzipped into ~/.local/share/yabridge.

After it compiled I ran REAPER without doing a sync to confirm that a newer version was in place. I got the version mismatch error that I expected to see.

So then I opened a terminal and thought, "Yabridge is in the path now" and I issued "yabridgectl sync", but to my surprise, I got back "bash: yabridgectl: command not found". Then I issued the full command I had used previously,

which worked and REAPER opened with no error.

Is this a case of some config file that was in place from the original zipped version, so yabridge ends up where I used to run it? Issuing "cd /usr/bin/yabridge" results in,

bash: cd: /usr/bin/yabridge: No such file or directory

I searched my whole drive, and yabridgectl was only found in my .local/share/yabridge folder.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-31-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
robbert-vdh

Quote:
I was notified by the package manager that a new version of Yabridge was available, and I installed it through the package manager. I was previously using Yabridge from the self contained zip file, that I unzipped into ~/.local/share/yabridge.

After it compiled I ran REAPER without doing a sync to confirm that a newer version was in place. I got the version mismatch error that I expected to see.

So then I opened a terminal and thought, "Yabridge is in the path now" and I issued "yabridgectl sync", but to my surprise, I got back "bash: yabridgectl: command not found". Then I issued the full command I had used previously,

which worked and REAPER opened with no error.

Is this a case of some config file that was in place from the original zipped version, so yabridge ends up where I used to run it? Issuing "cd /usr/bin/yabridge" results in,

bash: cd: /usr/bin/yabridge: No such file or directory

I searched my whole drive, and yabridgectl was only found in my .local/share/yabridge folder and in the folder it got compiled in or something, which is "/proc/1056/cwd/.local/share/yabridge/".
You forgot to install the yabridgectl package. Just get rid of ~/.local/share/yabridge entirely, and install the yabridgectl package from the AUR.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
You forgot to install the yabridgectl package. Just get rid of ~/.local/share/yabridge entirely, and install the yabridgectl package from the AUR.
Ahh, thanks Robbert. I decided to go the other way and uninstalled the AUR version, then downloaded the zipped version, which is much quicker to simply unzip into my .local/share folder.

I had only tried the AUR version to see what the compile time was like.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #14
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Ahh, thanks Robbert. I decided to go the other way and uninstalled the AUR version, then downloaded the zipped version, which is much quicker to simply unzip into my .local/share folder.

I had only tried the AUR version to see what the compile time was like.
You can also use the yabridge-bin AUR package which simply repackages the prebuilt yabridge and yabridgectl binaries from GitHub. Installing that is even faster than manually downloading and extracting tarballs.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
You can also use the yabridge-bin AUR package which simply repackages the prebuilt yabridge and yabridgectl binaries from GitHub. Installing that is even faster than manually downloading and extracting tarballs.
Thanks Robbert. I might just give that a go.