Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Wino Bob
Human being with feelings

Default aahhh . . oh boy . .

From the file: If you don't share your ignorance, you get to keep it . .

I was reading on the Native Instruments web page, and someone who was new to NI was asking advice regarding Kontakt 5 and Komplete 11 Select.

The person wrote back: "The two products are difficult to compare, as they are so different. One is a bundle of instruments and effects, while the other is a sample player which comes with a library of sounds."

Here is my ignorance . . . I don't know the difference between "a bundle of instruments, and a sample player which comes with a library of sounds." (crap, that's painful to admit). These both seem to be the same thing to me.

I really don't know what to ask you guys . . all I want to do is find some sounds that I can download, open Reaper, click on a sound and start recording that sound through my keyboard. What 'type' of downloads might I be looking for? I'm very basic - 4-6 instruments (sounds) and 3-4 part vocal harmony.

Maybe I just need to find a DAW dictionary. Apologies for the low level of knowledge . . (and thanks)

Wino Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
Judders

No problemo, Bob. We all start off knowing nothing!

So, you basically have 2 kinds of software instrument; ones that play samples (i.e. recordings of real instruments) and ones that generate the sounds all in the software (like a virtual synthesiser that models the electronics of a real synthesiser).

Kontakt is a sampler.

Komplete is a bundle of NI's instruments including Kontakt.

In answer to your question, you can download a free taster of Kontakt which should keep you happy for a while: https://www.native-instruments.com/e...free-download/

You can also download a free taster of IK Multimedia's SampleTank, which will give you more variety of free sampled instruments: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletankcs/

Report back if you have any problems getting these to work
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
slipstick

As suggested it basically comes down to whether you want to record things that sound like traditional instruments, piano, violin, guitar etc. or new electronic types of sounds.

For the first you want a sampler like Kontact, for the second you want synthesizers like, from the NI lineup, Massive, FM8 etc. With Komplete you get both sets.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 AM   #4
Softsynth

A software synth can be a few megabytes and downloads virtually instantly. Your computer calculates or generates all the sounds.
Software synthesis can even recreate acoustic instruments with increasing accuracy.
Pianoteq 6 is an example of such as synthesizer:
https://www.pianoteq.com/instrument_list

Obviously there are many software synths recreating hardware synthesizer sounds and new synthesis methods.

Sample libraries such as Kontakt eat up gigabytes of storage for their recorded sounds. As a general rule they are best used for replication of various acoustic instruments. Those acoustic libraries can be huge and expensive.
The price of sample libraries vary wildly. The most expensive soft synths are relative chicken feed compared to the most expensive sample libraries (mainly aimed at orchestral mock ups).
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #5
Wino Bob

This is perfect info guys - thanks.

I won't be getting into creating electronic sounds anytime soon. Basically looking for those well know sounds (bass/guitar/drums/keys) to record my own stuff - changing the lyrics is about as creative as I get . . .

Guess I'm looking for a sampler for starters - seems like Kontakt is very well known - Komplete may be more than I can handle right now. I'll look around at sample libraries. Any pitfalls (or downright junk) that I should be aware of? (this would be the; if it seems too good to be true type of stuff).

Thanks again, I appreciate it
Wino Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 AM   #6
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino Bob View Post
This is perfect info guys - thanks.

I won't be getting into creating electronic sounds anytime soon. Basically looking for those well know sounds (bass/guitar/drums/keys) to record my own stuff - changing the lyrics is about as creative as I get . . .

Guess I'm looking for a sampler for starters - seems like Kontakt is very well known - Komplete may be more than I can handle right now. I'll look around at sample libraries. Any pitfalls (or downright junk) that I should be aware of? (this would be the; if it seems too good to be true type of stuff).

Thanks again, I appreciate it
Start with the free versions of Kontakt and SampleTank I linked to above. You will have drums, bass, organs, piano, I think guitar, plus there are inbuilt effects like amps and stomp box type effects as well. There is plenty to be going on with in those free samples. Kontakt is the "industry standard", but SampleTank is good value and has plenty of satisfied customers. Demo them both to see which you prefer, or maybe you'll decide there's enough in the free samples.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote