Old 05-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
sharperteeth
Human being with feelings

Default Waves related crash? (SOLVED)

I didn't really know where to put this, so hopefully this is the right place.

So, I've been using reaper for about three years now and I'm super comfortable with it but my hard drive needed updating, so I upgraded. When I did this, I had to move some files around to make room for other things, and decided I'd uninstall Waves because I wasn't really using it on this computer.
Since I uninstalled Waves, every time I've attempted to launch Reaper, I've been unable to get past the plug-in loading screen, as a notice pops up that "The program can't start because WavesLib8.0.dll is missing from your computer."
I tried reinstalling and placing it in the same exact place as I'd had it before and that didn't work. So then I uninstalled Reaper, thinking maybe a fresh copy might not try to scan for it.
I've had no luck with un/re-installs thus far and it's becoming increasingly more frustrating by the day.
If anyone knows how to remedy this, or has already posted something somewhere that would help, I'd really appreciate anything at this point. Even if it's just someone calling me an idiot and it turning out to be really simple.

Thanks.
sharperteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:00 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Should be as simple as hitting "Clear cache and rescan" in Preferences->Plugins->VST.

Otherwise, 'Start Menu->Programs->Reaper->Reaper (reset configuration data to factory defaults)' will reset REAPER, uninstall and reinstall does not.

A third possibility is that a Waves plug-in is loaded by a default template, or you have one of them in Monitoring FX.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
ivansc

That is a very old version of Waveshell - might be you have some stuff left over from a previous install that didn't get removed when you updated. Possibly a hiccup due to the transition from the "old" waves auth system to the newer "Waves Central"
I had a similar problem and solved it by wiping everything Waves from my system and starting again with Waves Central for a clean new install.

When I say "everything" I mean I did the uninstall with Iobit's uninstaller utility AND then went minesweeping for other orphan Waves files.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
Pet

I had the same problem.
One way is to open the "reaper-vstplugins64.ini" and the "reaper-vstshells64.ini" and search for orphaned stuff there too.
The harsh way is to delete all wave entries in these inis and start Reaper to find them again. That's what I did and it solved it. Uninstalling waves without additional measures never worked satisfying.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
sharperteeth

Thank you all for your help. I managed to actually use all of your tips to get it back up and running. Those ini files were slowing down loadup and that reset tip helped get the whole thing up and beautiful again.
Thanks again.
sharperteeth is offline   Reply With Quote