Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I would appreciate your suggestions .....

I tried posting about this in how-to's but did not get far, so let me try this here.....

I have an interface that my MIC plugs into and then a USB cable goes to my PC.

I know that for optimal recording level I should be at -18, right?

So, I can sing into my MIC that is plugged into my interface really loud and adjust the gain on it so that it does not clip, no problem.

I have seen where Kenny Gioia uses a tone generator to adjust the volume going into a track so that it sits at -18 and does not go any higher than that.

My question is, do I use the tone generator and a gain plugin on the vocal track to adjust the volume going into the track and if not, please provide a simple explanation of how to do this?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Judders

No, as long as you're not clipping it's fine.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
Stella645

the test tone is not and can not be used for setting preamp levels.
He is using it only as an illustration of the level to aim for.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #4
ramses

The most important thing to understand is that you can leave yourself plenty of headroom when recording at 24 bits. Now, analog gear have "nominal" input levels that may or may not correspond to sound quality. But, in the end, unless you're recording for a living and have lots of time to dedicate to minutia like this, just make sure you're not clipping, leave yourself plenty of headroom and make some music instead.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
vdubreeze

You don't have to get all fancy pants with a tone generator : )

Generally you want to have the interface preamp set so that it does hit the DAW at the digital levels you're talking about, but you also need to keep in mind if the interface preamp is clipping, or being hit too little. So don't worry too much about exactly where the vocal is hitting the DAW as long as it's got plenty of headroom, because there are too many variables involved. And that's what's great about 24 bit recording. Hitting the DAW track at -14 is ok but so is hitting it to peak at -6 if that's where it ends up or -18 if that's where it hits after everything else is optimal.

The reason for this is that with an inexpensive interface you probably only have the mic pre input to control the level going to the DAW. If the interface pre clips too much singing a certain style with a certain mic and it hits the DAW at X, if you thought it wasn't hitting it hot enough you can't raise it by upping the gain on the interface, it will probably distort there. So find the sweet spot where the interface pre gives you good level and doesn't sound noisy the way most inexpensive pres sound in the top 15% of their gain or a different kind of noisy when set too low (and need to be cranked up too much in the DAW). And just check that that within the range of the pre input's sweet spot you're hitting the DAW anywhere from -20 to -10 and you're done : ) Record! : )

What I mean is, generally, yes, it's good to hit the DAW at right between those two digital levels. But don't get too caught up in what the exact *optimum* db is because A) it's ballpark and; B) you don't have any option to change that level too much with only the pre input to set the level, and you can run into issues using the input gain as an output control. IOW, don't sweat getting it to exactly -18. It's one of those things that shouldn't be such a concern that it slows you down at this early stage. As long as it sounds good (and your loudest singing stays *well* under the 0 db (as in more than just a few db of headroom) it is good. : )

That's my 2¢, at least : )