Old 05-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Susan G
Human being with feelings

Default Tuplet ties and rests

Hi-

Apologies if these issues have been covered before, but:

1. I can't seem to tie the last note in a tuplet to the following note. I drag out the duration of the note and the tie is created, but the display is incorrect and when I release the mouse button, the tie disappears.

2. If I delete the middle note of an eighth triplet, for example, a quarter note rest is inserted instead of an eighth note rest.

I can't post licecaps right now, but if what I've posted is unclear I'll do so later.

Thanks-

-Susan

REAPER 5.20 Windows 10 x64
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:09 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

A licecap or very small project would be helpful. Are you on 5.20 or 5.21pre?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Susan G

Hi John-

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Here I want to tie the last note in the 1st triplet to the first note in the 2nd triplet:

If I try to tie them by selecting the notes, right-clicking and bringing up the menu and selecting "Tie" I just get the "Minimize Ties" option.

I was using 5.20 last night. I installed 5.21pre4 and now deleting any note of an eighth note triplet gives me the correct rest.

Sample .rpp attached.

Thanks!

-Susan
Attached Files
File Type: rpp tuplet.rpp (47.2 KB, 168 views)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Unfortunately, it's not possible to do what you want at present.

The way this should work is that if you wanted to combine two notes (the last note of the first triplet, and the first note of the second triplet), you'd select both notes and run the action "Edit: join notes" (J by default), or else just delete one of the notes and drag the edge of the other note into that space, in both cases doing the same thing you would do in the piano roll for this edit.

But at the moment, it's not possible for a single MIDI note to be part of two triplets. so after joining the notes you'll end up with the screenshot below. We'll think about the best way to fix this.

[edit] actually I think it's a pretty easy fix to add support for this.

Last edited by schwa; 05-23-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Susan G

[Oops -- just read your edit -- Great!]

I see. Tieing into and out of tuplets has been one of the big issues for users of SONAR's staff notation for years. Another has been rests within tuplets, but it looks like you guys have solved that (I only did a quick test.)

I just noticed something: I can in fact create a tie from one triplet to the next by pressing J if the 2nd begins after the bar line, like so:

Is that to be expected?

The screenshot you attached is at least clear, if not ideal !

I appreciate the explanation. It would be great if this could get resolved at some point.

Thanks!

-Susan
Old 05-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
schwa
Administrator

This is what will happen in the next build. The top bar is with manually created triplets. The bottom bar is with automatically detected triplets. In this case the autodetection will see all 5 notes as part of one quarter note triplet, which I think is fine. If the user prefers to notate as a pair of eighth note triplets, they can manually create the triplets.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Shouldn't the triplet braces extend to that last solemn eight as well in that second image? Looks a bit weird...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Technically I suppose it should be an eighth note sextuplet and end with the final 8th note. But this is a corner case so I think we'll leave it and let the user manually change it to whatever they want.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
EvilDragon

It should probably convert itself into a sextuplet then, it makes more logical sense, since note durations stay the same (apart from the tied two notes of course)?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote