Old 09-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
elijahlucian
Human being with feelings

Default Have you had any success automating file renaming?

I do quite a bit of voiceover and I am working on automating my file naming. I am just trying to figure out the best way to do it, ideally, I would like to be able for the file to be named once the recording has finished, so it would name it like: projectname + trackname + recordnumber for example.

where I am getting my name from is going to be far more complicated, but I keep running into a wall here..

I can't seem to rename the files in reaper?!

Currently I found out that I can get the file name from takes, but only if there are more than 1 takes on the track... for my purposes takes are really making things hard... I would prefer a non-destructive editing workflow without takes, but that's neither here nor there.

So basically if it doesn't have a take, my script just crashes because GetTakeName doesn't have a "Take" id to use...

but there is no other way to get file names except with takes in the API.. I looked 4 times so far, I will keep trying but I am hoping for a helping hand here
elijahlucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
cfillion

All media items have at least one take.

This renames/move whatever audio file is used for the first select item's last take to C:\test.wav:

Code:
local item = reaper.GetSelectedMediaItem(0, 0)
local take = reaper.GetMediaItemTake(item, reaper.CountTakes(item) - 1)
local track = reaper.GetMediaItemTrack(item)

local oldSource = reaper.GetMediaItemTake_Source(take)
local oldFilename = reaper.GetMediaSourceFileName(oldSource, '')

local newFilename = 'C:\\test.wav'
os.rename(oldFilename, newFilename)

local newSource = reaper.PCM_Source_CreateFromFile(newFilename)
reaper.SetMediaItemTake_Source(take, newSource)

Last edited by cfillion; 09-23-2017 at 12:17 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
elijahlucian

huh. interesting workaround...

so instead of the files staying in reaper, they would then be located elsewhere?
Old 09-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #4
cfillion

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "file staying in reaper", but C:\test.wav was just for the example. Replace that by what you want the filename to be: projectname + trackname + recordnumber.

You can extract the directory from the old file name to have an absolute path (so the file stays where it is and doesn't get moved into FL Studio 11 ):

Code:
local path = oldFilename:match('^(.+[\\/])')
local newFilename = path .. 'desired_filename.wav'
os.rename moves the actual file and SetMediaItemTake_Source tells REAPER about it.

Last edited by cfillion; 09-23-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
elijahlucian

Oh, I see, thank you for explaining that bit to me, that's great! I was trying to figure out alternate ways of approaching this.

What I thouhgt was "The script moves the file to my desired location and gets "unlinked" in Reaper"

I didn't see the bit about "SetMediaSource" Thank you for explaining that one!

This is wonderful. I guess I was looking about it the wrong way... I was trying to see if an API existed to directly rename the file all through Reaper's API.

Now I see that I need to think a bit more on the abstract side while scripting, dip out to the OS to do some stuff there, etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
elijahlucian

Default Int buf_sz

Hi cfillion. Thanks for the help with this script but it's having trouble running...

seems to be missing some required args.

apparently python requires different buffer sizes

RPR_GetProjectPathEx(proj, buf, buf_sz)

apparently we need an integer thats buf_sz

but I cant see a reference on this, buf_sz seems to be an unknown thing when it comes to google
Old 09-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
cfillion

buf & buf_sz are a residue from the C API. In Lua buf_sz is automatically set to 1024, the default underlying buffer size. I don't know what the right value should be for Python scripts but the documentation uses 512 in the (only) example.

Code:
# function returning information in the first parameter (function returns void):
(str) = RPR_GetProjectPath("", 512)
Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
elijahlucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
buf & buf_sz are a residue from the C API. In Lua buf_sz is automatically set to 1024, the default underlying buffer size. I don't know what the right value should be for Python scripts but the documentation uses 512 in the (only) example.

Code:
# function returning information in the first parameter (function returns void):
(str) = RPR_GetProjectPath("", 512)
alright. I managed to get a little somewhere on this one... Only problem that I didn't forsee was that (of course) the file is in use by Reaper...

This is why i was hoping to be able to name the media clip like I can in Studio One... Would just make things a lot more simple. Just name the clip that I need then it can be exported as that clip name when the time comes for export.

is there a way to unlink the file temporarily while I rename it?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahlucian View Post
is there a way to unlink the file temporarily while I rename it?
This is only necessary on Windows. There's two actions for that (I thought Audio_Quit/Audio_Init did it, but it doesn't seem to actually be the case):

Item: Set all media offline (40101)
Item: Set all media online (40100)
Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
elijahlucian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
This is only necessary on Windows. There's two actions for that (I thought Audio_Quit/Audio_Init did it, but it doesn't seem to actually be the case):

Item: Set all media offline (40101)
Item: Set all media online (40100)
dang. doesn't seem to work for me. What I am gonna do is just delete the files from the daw and rename into a folder. I am gonna do all my editing and whatnot in studio one anyways. so this works! Thanks!