COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 10-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Default For the attention of anyone planning on releasing VST2 plugins (or hosts)

Hopefully this isn't news for anyone at this point...

If you have not signed and received back the VST2 license agreement from Steinberg by October 2018, you are not allowed distribute VST2 plugins or hosts with VST2 support. (It doesn't matter if commercial, freeware or open source.) I am not sure how strongly Steinberg will enforce that but it is probably wisest to be careful and not try one's luck with it.

There is discussion about it on the KVR forum :

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...?f=33&t=508845

The development of VST3 plugins and hosts also requires you have signed the separate VST3 agreement, sent it to Steinberg and got it back signed by them, but that likely isn't an extremely urgent thing to consider at the moment. (Still best not to procrastinate too much with that...)

Last edited by Xenakios; 10-30-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
k.d.iv

Yes. It's a thing now. They trow away VST2.

I've read some documentation. And it look like the NEW license is now separate on two parts.

1. Open source under GPLv3 something.
2. Closed when you need signed license from Steinberg, like before.(you send signed license, they approve it and send back to you).

Again support now is only for the VST3 SDK and VST3 plugins. That's my understanding, hope it's right. Happy codding.
k.d.iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Mimo

I use an old SDK and I invested my time in learning and developing in LV2, AU and VST2, although I am nobody, my time and effort matter to me more than the pretentions of a company that has not developed anything good for a long time.

I do not think they start with the demands on the small developers.
Mimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
k.d.iv

In the latest VST3_SDK(3.6.11) there is a pdf document, which explain most of the things.
If you have/develope VST plugins you should port it to VST3 now, and follow the licensing stuff mentioned above.
I read also that they provide wrapper for this, but not sure how will work. Probably some learnig needed.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:43 AM   #5
k.d.iv

Little off-topic but anyway...
I saw new version of MS Visual Studio coming - Visual Studio 2019. So be careful and prepared for it.