Old 02-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
linguos
Human being with feelings

Default Combine two tracks into one

I've done this fancy snare t rick that involves an EQ then duplicate the track then 2nd track -> Compressor -> another EQ -> phase invert. It's cool, but now I need to process it further as one track not two. When I render to mono stem it does this for each track independently, I need one stem to process.

Can anyone help?
linguos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
Fergler

Few options
Non-destructive:
- Make a folder track for both snares, do processing on that folder (easiest)
- (Assuming one long item) Move second snare track onto first snare track, select both items, right click and set channel mix to Always mix. Move the EQ/phase inversion to item FX (phase invert in the item properties) and the original snare's FX to item FX also.
- Send both tracks to a third track
Destructive:
- Create the folder track, render this track to mono or stereo PDC compensated stem post-fader. Remove the folder and/or mute the snares.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
linguos

The destructive version is more in line with what I'm trying to do, why is that destructive? Will it degrade the audio?
Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by linguos View Post
The destructive version is more in line with what I'm trying to do, why is that destructive? Will it degrade the audio?
Actually it's not destructive, as you keep the original files, but you are creating a potentially unnecessary third file. And if you lose the originals, you can't go back. That's all it means. Audio quality is the same assuming lossless wav-grade mixdown.

Personally, I like low track counts. I'd go for option 2 if I was working on one long snare stem.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
linguos

Oh I see, that's what I expected. In this case I would be committing and deliberately deleting the first two. Thank you, the bus render worked.