Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #81
JohnProphet
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Right SC = sound card. Ideally you'd usually want something more dedicated to recording than the built in sound card.
excuse my ignorance, im pretty burnt out/ brain dead from tech issues at the moment

isnt the interface itself functioning as the soundcard??
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #82
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnProphet View Post
excuse my ignorance, im pretty burnt out/ brain dead from tech issues at the moment

isnt the interface itself functioning as the soundcard??
Yes but the built in ones tend to be often problematic.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #83
Judders

Just for reference, sound card and audio interface are interchangeable terms.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #84
JohnProphet

Quote:
Yes but the built in ones tend to be often problematic.
ok, im asking, if I buy the babyface isnt that then taking the built in Realteck out of the equation?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #85
karbomusic

Quote:
ok, im asking, if I buy the babyface isnt that then taking the built in Realteck out of the equation?
Absolutely and that's a good thing.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #86
JohnProphet

Quote:
Absolutely and that's a good thing.
ok cool, I thought so lol. This stuff can make ones head spin after a while.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #87
karbomusic

Quote:
ok cool, I thought so lol. This stuff can make ones head spin after a while.
Yep, I get you. You'll get there, just take the occasional rest to let things sink in, rinse/repeat and you'll be fine. We're all here to help so fire way as needed.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #88
mhuss

UA Apollo Twin USB
+ sounds great, lots of excellent UA plugs available, which sound great and use little computer CPU (including the 'onboard' Unison plugs)
- it won't power up remotely. After you apply power, you have to cycle the power switch on the unit(!)

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
+ sounds good, reasonable price, no problems

Motu UltraLite mk3
+ sounds good, 8 real analog inputs (I use it mostly for drums).
- klunky menu interface, windoze driver can be flaky (but seems to run fine once you get it going).
- also have to turn on manually after applying power
mhuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #89
Faderjockey

I have Apollo 16mkII so I love it just got it..
What I had was SSL Alpha Link Madi AX. I liked it a lot for years..
why I hate it now? It died and then SSL said they'd send me a new one for $1100. I paid $2700 back then.

If some one wants it for $400 then you can send SSL another $1100 plus this unit and they will give you a new one.. I have the emails from them to back it up.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #90
JohnProphet

Quote:
Yep, I get you. You'll get there, just take the occasional rest to let things sink in, rinse/repeat and you'll be fine. We're all here to help so fire way as needed.
dude, ive been playing guitar for 30 years. I took many years off of recording sort of leaving off when I was using a Roland VS880 digital 8 track. Of course I was pretty clueless on mixing etc.

fast forward to like late 2014 and I decided to get started again with basic dumb questions like "how do I get my music online" etc. interface?? whats that? DAW?? whats that.

So I had to start from dead scratch. Since then its been a constant back and forth struggle with the "technology" so called. Some days i feel like a genius, some days Im sitting with a 1000 yard stare wondering why I bother.

Like I just got this new lappy. okay, feeling good and happy about things. DL my Slate everything bundle. man, life's good. OMG, the S-Gear guitar SIM actually works. High point of expectations.....this will be my year!

Then of course the inevitable fall back to earth lol. Glitches, pops, reaper crashes. Hopefully its mainly due to my focusrite dying and its loose usb connection

Then dumb stuff like I recorded some jams with the SIM and it was okay. Then last night I was getting lag. I was so pissed and losing my mind. I went to jump out of the window but the window was stuck so I came back and checked some more and realized I had put ReaFir into the chain for noise reduction and that was a bad idea lol. 5 more gray hairs on dumb stuff like that

Its just mind numbing how it seems everyone else is all over youtube just gleefully making music effortlessly with the modern tech stuff but some of us struggle at every step along the way. Takes a lot of the fun out of it

/end depressing rant

Peace, JJ
Old 01-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #91
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Just for reference, sound card and audio interface are interchangeable terms.
Well, a sound card is a pci connecting audio interface. Not to be confused with firewire, USB, or thunderbolt connecting interfaces. Or interfaces integrated into a computer logic board with no external connections. But they are all audio interfaces.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #92
karbomusic

Quote:
dude, ive been playing guitar for 30 years. I took many years off of recording sort of leaving off when I was using a Roland VS880 digital 8 track. Of course I was pretty clueless on mixing etc.
I've been around that long as well, I picked up guitar later than most at age 17 but that was 37 years ago. For some unknown reason I also had a bit of a knack for computers but... it still took some time to get rolling because when I got into PC recording (post Yamaha MD8 around 1998), all this was much more of a crapshoot than it is now.

The bigger point though is, if the gear is incompatible or generally unstable due to cheapness for lack of a better term, then that's going to drive the newcomer batty and frustrate the crap out of them. Often I suggest a higher end, more compatible and less fiddly piece of gear, not because I think angels are going to sing while the user weeps openly at the sound quality, but because they are going to make more music and spend less time banging their heads against the wall. There is a term for that "Buy once, cry once".

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-04-2018 at 01:11 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #93
JohnProphet

Quote:
I've been around that long as well, I picked up guitar later than most at age 17 but that was 37 years ago. For some unknown reason I also had a bit of a knack for computers but... it still took some time to get rolling because when I got into PC recording (post Yamaha MD8 around 1998), all this was much more of a crapshoot than it is now.

The bigger point though is, if the gear is incompatible or generally unstable due to cheapness for lack of a better term, then that's going to drive the newcomer batty and frustrate the crap out of them. Often I suggest a higher end, more compatible and less fiddly piece of gear, not because I think angels are going to sing while the user weeps openly at the sound quality, but because they are going to make more music and spend less time banging their heads against the wall. There is a term for that "Buy once, cry once".
yeah I started at age 20 in early 1988 with Troy Stetina books with included cassettes lol

The thing about "quality" gear is its all relative. for me, a $1k laptop is supposed to be a "quality" piece compared to a $500 walmart jobby. But a $1k laptop is still pretty modest.

Compared to my 2i4, a Babyface Pro seems like a big upgrade but ive also seen the Babyface listed as the best of the "budget" interfaces lol

I wish I could really get my hopes up lol
Old 01-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #94
AkeW

RME Fireface 400.

I "hate" it because the external power adapter crapped out after 10 years... And firewire requires a separate card on my new Ryzen build.
Sometimes doesn't load my settings (like samplerate and buffer size) correctly on boot.

I love it.
AkeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #95
Jason Lyon

At home, I've got a little Focusrite 2 by 2. Fine for a lot of purposes. I certainly don't hate it at all.

When I need to do some heavy tracking I go into a studio. Makes sense to me - why buy your own super interface and patchbay, Neumanns or Earthworks or whatever, when you can use the studio's collection and get them to make experienced choices and set things up for you? You can just get on with playing. That really rather is what you want to do, right?

I walk away with the results on a USB stick. Incidentally, I have a friendly studio that trusts me, but as a rule, it's a good idea to bring along a brand new stick still in the packaging. They don't know what kind of nasty stuff you might have on your stick (scuse the turn of phrase). It's a courtesy at least. USB sticks big enough to hold week's worth of stems are cheap as hell these days, but if something on your old one gives their system the clap they aren't going to love you long time, baby...

When I'm doing location work, I use a Zoom H5 for flexible tracking of up to 4 inputs using the expander module. You have to be a bit creative with mic choices and placements of course, but you'd be really surprised what you can get from using just the right four.

Without phantom it'll go for hours. Using phantom will kill it in about an hour if unplugged, but you can always power it if you want to (and can). The custom modules (XY, mini-shotgun/mid-side, etc) are actually quite handy for unfussy situations, but the capsule sizes inevitably make them more pocket than rocket. You get the best out of a thing like this by hooking good gear into it and just using it as a data recorder.

Oh, and re location (and home) work, the mic stand linked below is terrific. It's fantastically sturdy and can be extended out to about 12ft, so you can use it as an overhead mount or even a makeshift boom pole. Get a stereo bar too. Only a few quid.

Actually, the Zoom can function as an audio interface as well, although it's a bit fiddly to set up, so I've very occasionally used it at home when I need more inputs than the Focusrite can provide.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Jason Lyon; 01-04-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #96
karbomusic

Quote:
why buy your own super interface and patchbay, Neumanns or Earthworks or whatever, when you can use the studio's collection and get them to make experienced choices and set things up for you? You can just get on with playing. That really rather is what you want to do, right?
Pretty much and just depends. Being someone who began recording stuff as early as age 7 or so... By the time I was a musician and had spent a number of years recording my band in the band house basement (combined with years of live mixing when I wasn't playing), I went back to a real studio - What I found was, that what I was doing already sounded as good and in many respects better than what I just paid for in a studio which surprised me quite honestly.

So, I just kept adding a little bit of gear here and there. Living in a band house for 10 years didn't hurt either as I had drums and other stuff I could mic up and practice with constantly. I have all that stuff now, mics, preamps, patchbay, interfaces, 500 series lunchbox... the lot of it and all of it in mobile racks and pretty much wouldn't step foot in a studio again.

The other thing I did about 15 years ago was to set my stuff up with the goal, that when inspired, I can be laying a track within 2 minutes. I've had that ever since, and I can't express how important it is to get to such a point.

Being as excited about recording and mixing as playing doesn't hurt either.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #97
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Pretty much and just depends. Being someone who began recording stuff as early as age 7 or so... By the time I was a musician and had spent a number of years recording my band in the band house basement (combined with years of live mixing when I wasn't playing), I went back to a real studio - What I found was, that what I was doing already sounded as good and in many respects better than what I just paid for in a studio.

So, I just kept adding a little bit of gear here and there. Living in a band house for 10 years didn't hurt either as I had drums and other stuff I could mic up and practice with constantly. I have all that stuff now, mics, preamps, the lot of it and all of it in mobile racks and pretty much wouldn't step foot in a studio as a customer.

The other thing I did about 15 years ago was to set my stuff up so that when inspired, I can be laying a track with in 2 minutes. I've had that ever since, and I can't express how important it is to get to such a point.

Being as excited about recording and mixing as playing doesn't hurt either.
Yeah, fair enough. It's all interesting and I seem to do more and more these days as an engineer, rather than as a musician. I enjoy it, although it can be a curse when you walk into a gig and your teeth start itching but you don't want to tread on the sound guy's toes.

It started off, at least for me, as a sense of wanting to be able to speak the same language as the guys the other side of the desk, so communication would be easier. It's much better to be able to say "I reckon we've got a bit of a resonant pig at around 300, can you try scooping to find it?" than "that sounds like crap, so sort it out and I'll be in the pub".

And by all means, sort out your own studio of sorts over time, if you've got the funds and space. Brilliant.

But I think there's a balance to be found between earhead and gearhead. I've had arguments with drummers over mic placements and monitor mixes when they couldn't even play the bloody part... "Look pal, I know you don't like how you can hear yourself and we're working on fixing that, but in the meantime, the break goes like this..."

Incidentally, I'm a half-headphone guy. Hate wearing them as a rule, and the most they ever get of me is one ear.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #98
bassburner

I currently have an RME HDSP 9652, A&H Zed R16 and a Behringer ADA8200 (for sending cue outputs). No significant complaints about those.

The Presonus crap tho... They stopped supporting the VSL software on the 1818VSL (and continued to sell it branded with it working). After that I tried to get a Studio 192 but got 2 defective ones in a row and then gave up.
bassburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #99
Byron Dickens

Why on earth would anyone use an interface he hates?
Byron Dickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #100
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassburner View Post
I currently have an RME HDSP 9652, A&H Zed R16 and a Behringer ADA8200 (for sending cue outputs). No significant complaints about those.

The Presonus crap tho... They stopped supporting the VSL software on the 1818VSL (and continued to sell it branded with it working). After that I tried to get a Studio 192 but got 2 defective ones in a row and then gave up.
No fan of Presonus here. The venue I work at most regularly has an big old discontinued PS desk and it's a real pain to figure out. The most you can expect of anyone is to send them over and say turn the channel up or tweak the panning.
I'm no slouch, but I had to spend days browsing gospel sites just to be able to figure out the monitor sends on the blasted thing.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #101
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post

But I think there's a balance to be found between earhead and gearhead. I've had arguments with drummers over mic placements and monitor mixes when they couldn't even play the bloody part... "Look pal, I know you don't like how you can hear yourself and we're working on fixing that, but in the meantime, the break goes like this..."
There is, I've never been a gearhead for gear's sake but rather making quality investments and trying to make what I call lifetime purchases that serve me well - I don't typically sell gear, if I buy it, I keep it. But... I've acquired the gear I do have over many years.

I'm finishing up a recording project with my band right now. Luckily they are all my age and have gigged for decades but most of all they trust me so instead of the original fear that I'd have 5 cooks in the kitchen, they've all done a great job of letting me do my thing with the promise I'd serve the song more than anything else. So far so good, we'll see when it's all done in about a month.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #102
JHughes
Banned

I can mix at 24 bit 192 kHz using my mobo's Realtek sound. My MBox 2 went to 48kHz. I'll take Realtek any day. (Sorry Karbo)
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #103
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
I can mix at 24 bit 192 kHz using my mobo's Realtek sound. My MBox 2 went to 48kHz. I'll take Realtek any day. (Sorry Karbo)
If it works use it by all means - if something works, it's all I care about.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #104
JHughes
Banned

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:29 PM   #105
JHughes
Banned

PS That doesn't mean I won't get a Babyface some day.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #106
Jason Lyon

Quote:
There is, I've never been a gearhead for gear's sake but rather making quality investments and trying to make what I call lifetime purchases that serve me well - I don't typically sell gear, if I buy it, I keep it. But... I've acquired the gear I do have over many years.

I'm finishing up a recording project with my band right now. Luckily they are all my age and have gigged for decades but most of all they trust me so instead of the original fear that I'd have 5 cooks in the kitchen, they've all done a great job of letting me do my thing with the promise I'd serve the song more than anything else. So far so good, we'll see when it's all done in about a month.
Sounds cool. When you're ready, post it or PM it. Or something. Hope it works out well for you.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #107
karbomusic

Quote:
Sounds cool. When you're ready, post it or PM it. Or something. Hope it works out well for you.
I fully plan on posting here when done. The shameless project thread lives here if you are interested in the technical details. I haven't updated it that much lately but probably time to ramble some since it was supposed to be a bit of a documentation thread + sharing of details for forum members, friends etc. more than a "look at me thread". It is a modernish classic rock band with some pop and progressive influences in there and a bit of a loose yet hopefully groovy feel, we are no class jazz act or anything like that though.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-04-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #108
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Well, a sound card is a pci connecting audio interface. Not to be confused with firewire, USB, or thunderbolt connecting interfaces. Or interfaces integrated into a computer logic board with no external connections. But they are all audio interfaces.
Yeah, but people use the terms interchangeably, in informal common parlance.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #109
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah, but people use the terms interchangeably, in informal common parlance.
Yea, people should not consider the term card like that, that's just a leftover from the days where "cards" were the only interconnect available for the most part (which existed long before USB/FW and so on) - the type of interconnect or communication protocol used is really irrelevant here - the meaning is what the device does, not how it connects to the computer, we've discussed this before though so not sure why it's coming up again.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-05-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #110
Judders

Quote:
Yea, people should not consider the term card like Serr referenced, that's just a leftover from the days where "cards" were the only interconnect available for the most part (which existed long before USB/FW and so on) - the type of interconnect or communication protocol used is really irrelevant here - the meaning is what the device does, not how it connects to the computer, we've discussed this before though so not sure why it's coming up again.
I just didn't want to confuse JohnProphet any more!

Going back to interfaces, I recently got an Antelope Zen Studio, hooked up via thunderbolt to my iMac. It's an amazing amount of stuff in such a small package; 12 preamps, 4 Hi-Z inputs, up to 32 I/O, 2 headphone mix outputs... and the DSP for near-zero latency monitoring is really, very surprisingly good. I'm a very happy camper
Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 AM   #111
karbomusic

Quote:
I just didn't want to confuse JohnProphet any more!
Good point!

Quote:
Going back to interfaces, I recently got an Antelope Zen Studio, hooked up via thunderbolt to my iMac. It's an amazing amount of stuff in such a small package; 12 preamps, 4 Hi-Z inputs, up to 32 I/O, 2 headphone mix outputs... and the DSP for near-zero latency monitoring is really, very surprisingly good. I'm a very happy camper
That sounds great, congrats!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #112
Judders

Quote:
That sounds great, congrats!
Going to record a couple of songs for a friend's band in a week or so. No expensive mic's yet, but a handful of decent budget ones. Can't wait!

One thing I found when I first plugged in the Zen Studio after using my Focusrite 2i2 for years was that I swore there was a noticeable difference in clarity of playback. Same room, same amp, same speakers, but I was picking up things I'd missed in mixes right away. I fully accept that it could be psychological, but if someone were to offer me enhanced perception for a fee I'd take it. I don't think doing a little magic on yourself every now and again is a bad thing
Old 01-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #113
lolilol1975

Quote:
yeah I started at age 20 in early 1988 with Troy Stetina books with included cassettes lol

The thing about "quality" gear is its all relative. for me, a $1k laptop is supposed to be a "quality" piece compared to a $500 walmart jobby. But a $1k laptop is still pretty modest.

Compared to my 2i4, a Babyface Pro seems like a big upgrade but ive also seen the Babyface listed as the best of the "budget" interfaces lol

I wish I could really get my hopes up lol
According to many, the best of the mid price interfaces is the little known TASCAM UH-7000. Its preamps are considered professional quality.

The RME Babyface Pro is twice the price.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #114
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
According to many, the best of the mid price interfaces is the little known TASCAM UH-7000. Its preamps are considered professional quality.

The RME Babyface Pro is twice the price.
The Babyface is certainly a very desirable bit of kit. But afaics its main USP is very low latency. The question is - is that worth the significant price difference or would you rather go with the commonly implemented direct monitoring workaround?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #115
karbomusic

Quote:
The Babyface is certainly a very desirable bit of kit. But afaics its main USP is very low latency. The question is - is that worth the significant price difference or would you rather go with the commonly implemented direct monitoring workaround?
I would mention BF Pro has 4 analog + ADAT IO expandability + MIDI and TotalMix + long-standing support for legacy devices that might be worth considering. TotalMix is a pretty big deal due to featureset that can move a good bit of stuff outside of Reaper.

Also, I like stuff that one can grow into as their needs grow and so on. I did not have time to research Tascam for how well they do at maintaining support and drivers for legacy devices and whether they do this as well as RME but that is also a big deal IMHO. For example the latest drivers for my aging FF800 were released 7 months ago and covers all the way back to Windows XP through Windows 10.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #116
Glennbo

Quote:
Yea, people should not consider the term card like that, that's just a leftover from the days where "cards" were the only interconnect available for the most part (which existed long before USB/FW and so on) - the type of interconnect or communication protocol used is really irrelevant here - the meaning is what the device does, not how it connects to the computer, we've discussed this before though so not sure why it's coming up again.
My twin M-Audio Delta 2496 cards from the year 2000 are genuine PCI sound cards that run at PCI bus speed. The MIDI interfaces are both extra fast and solid. If they would ever break or become incompatible with Windows, I'd finally think about upgrading, prolly to another genuine PCI sound card like the RME HDSP 9632, but alas my M-Audio cards ain't broke, so I'm not fixing them.

What I hate about them is that they are 18 years old and continue to work great.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #117
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
My twin M-Audio Delta 2496 cards from the year 2000 are genuine PCI sound cards that run at PCI bus speed. The MIDI interfaces are both extra fast and solid. If they would ever break or become incompatible with Windows, I'd finally think about upgrading, prolly to another genuine PCI sound card like the RME HDSP 9632, but alas my M-Audio cards ain't broke, so I'm not fixing them.

What I hate about them is that they are 18 years old and continue to work great.
My Delta 66s were and I loved them (albeit my RMEs even as USB work better today) but my point was, a sound card/interface is a sound card/interface, we shouldn't get ourselves all tripped up over the use of the word "card" in 2018, that's just sort of silly UNLESS we are talking about how it connects vs what it does or us - playback and record sound.

Besides why did they call it a TV set when you only got one?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:24 PM   #118
Glennbo

Quote:
My Delta 66s were and I loved them (albeit my RMEs even as USB work better today) but my point was, a sound card/interface is a sound card/interface, we shouldn't get ourselves all tripped up over the use of the word "card" in 2018, that's just sort of silly UNLESS we are talking about how it connects vs what it does or us - playback and record sound.
Audio interface would probably be the most accurate terminology, but sound card doesn't really bother me, even when it's referring to a box with a USB port.

Besides why did they call it a TV set when you only got one?

You get multiple things with a television "set".

You get a tuner, a display, audio amp, and speakers. It's a whole set!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #119
theFRXST

I have an RME Babyface, and I do actually like it... I hate the octopus cable. I know Babyface Pro fixes this issue, I just can't justify spending $1k'ish for it atm while my current card works great.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #120
grinder

Please do not join the crowd Judders
"it could be psychological"
The dumbing down of the world is that in
my humble opinion.

If I can't hear it you can't right? No!

Go get that audio you always wanted kit like the Zen is a good and wise
move.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote