Old 01-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Andaraginga
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper immediately crashing constantly

Hello everyone,

for one or two weeks now, one of the following scenarios takes place when I try to work with Reaper:

a) I try to open Reaper. Before anything else Reaper shows the error message:

) -or-

b) I can open Reaper and a project without error message. In the project Reaper crashes either immedately or typically after stopping and restarting playback. There is no error message. Reaper just shuts down. Next time I try to open it, it shows the above error message.

What did I try so far?

1. Audio interface and drivers
I checked my audio interface and its drivers.
There were indeed some problems, but I thought I had solved it.

In more detail:
I am using Line 6 UX1. Their update programs (Line 6 Monkey and Line 6 Licence Manager) showed that the USB audio interface was not authorized. Browsing the internet, I found out that this information is misleading and that in fact it is not the USB interface that is not authorized but the PC. So after de- and reauthorising the PC, I could also reauthorize the USB interface and open it. Then I could see that its drivers were out of date and updated them.

Having changed this, I was hoping to have solved the problem but that was not the case. Reaper would still crash (a little different perhaps, working for some minutes or longer or crashing slightly differently but still...)

2. Cable connection to the audio interface
In some forums I read that restarting or unplugging the audio interface could help, so I tried this and more:
I unplugged the cable several times, checked that it was firmly connected, tried a different USB cable and changed the USB port.

Again it was working for some time and I thought I had solved it but then again, new crashes, quicker than before (could open Reaper for a max of a couple of seconds)

3. Other audio devices on the PC
Another information I found somewhere on the net: "Check that nothing else on the PC is using the USB interface".

I checked that. If I open the "normal" loudspeaker mixer it could see that the computer loudspeaker was actually using the USB interface. I changed that and chose "Realtek High Definition Audio" instead (my internal sound card). Strangely (perhaps this is important) it would not keep that setting and often automatically switch back to "Line 6 UX1".

4. Anthing else that could be of importance?
I checked some other audio software recently, namely Presonus Studio One and the midi guitar vst "Jam Origin".

Studio One seems to work okay even when Reaper crashes (didn't try for long though).

With Jam Origin I had another problem that seemed strange to me. When setting the program up, one has to load an "audio device". When I try that in Jam Origin and I click on "ASIO UX1", the device is not "accepted", meaning, it is not loaded and the input field stays empty.

When trying the same thing on my laptop with Asio4all as audio driver, I would work and I could load that.

Just now, while reading this (and not having any audio program open) I had yet another error message (in German). The text translates as:
"USB device was not recognized
The last USB device that was connected to this computer didn't function properly und was not recognized by Windows".

Obviously, I would be very grateful for anything that can help me solve these problems as it is completely impossible for me to do any audio work with Reaper at the moment.

I searched some other threads and tried what seemed like possible solutions (see above points). But it seemed to me that problems with drivers and the likes can be rather complicated and can have multiple reasons so I thought I list it up in all detail and hope that someone has an idea.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Andaraginga

One more idea about that "USB device was not recognized" meessage:

Could it be that the USB audio interface is not recognized as a result of of a Windows Update?

I checked the device manager, thinking that perhaps I might find a little sign indicating that drivers are not up to date or something else but I can't see anything:

On the other hand, perhaps that error message is not related to the USB interface at all.
I also had my midi keyboard connected to the PC via USB. The keyboard is sometimes not recognized as well. At the moment it was not switched on.

Could it be that this error message comes from a switched-off midi keyboard?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
Liquid Fusion

Never ever had a problem with Reaper - Laptop / PC

What are system specs? Cpu / ram - PC make / model - for your computer? OS?

Are you using a USB HUB? Try going USB direct to PC.

Check this out - https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...ot-recognized/

Device Drivers might be causing error - https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...ot-recognized/

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 01-12-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Andaraginga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
What are the system specs for your computer? OS?
Did you see the information in my signature?
Is something important missing?

PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core | RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz | OS : Win 10, 64bit
Old 01-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Liquid Fusion

Right!! First coffee of the day.

Do a registry scan - CCleaner is free - https://www.ccleaner.com/

Test PC Health - right click start - Cmd Prompt / Admin
- SFC /scannow
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

More Tests-
- Disconnect devices in Device Manager then reboot PC
- Unplug USB Hubs
- Update Device Drivers in Device Manager - Graphics card
- Boot up in Safe mode to see is USB problems occur
- Run / msconfig - uncheck startup services = clean boot to see if / when USB errors happen
- Add back more startup services if all is initially well until pblm starts happening again

Last edited by Liquid Fusion; 01-12-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
Andaraginga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
Right!! First coffee of the day.

Do a registry scan - CCleaner is free - https://www.ccleaner.com/

Test PC Health - right click start - Cmd Prompt / Admin
- SFC /scannow
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

More Tests-
- Disconnect devices in Device Manager then reboot PC
- Unplug USB Hubs
- Update Device Drivers in Device Manager - Graphics card
- Boot up in Safe mode to see is USB problems occur
- Run / msconfig - uncheck startup services = clean boot to see if / when USB errors happen
- Add back more startup services if all is initially well until pblm starts happening again

Thanks, so far, I will check that list later.

At the moment I have just been going through the usual suspects, settings and plugins (did count them out at first for whatever reason).

1. I renamed Reaper.ini to Reaper.bak to get rid of all the old settings and made a new start. With that, Reaper crashed right away when I opened a project and made some clicks.

2. I started Reaper with Strg + Shift pressed to load Reaper without plugings. Now, Reaper seemed to work okay. Brought all the plugins back in (with the exception of some plugins that were in folders that were later added to the Preference settings). Still everything okay.

3. Copied the old Reaper.ini back and made the same. First loading without plugins, then bring them back in.
Stupid as it is, the result was the same. Reaper seemed to work okay.

Now, I am a bit confused.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
_Stevie_

Have you tried a portable installation first?
Old 01-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #8
Andaraginga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Have you tried a portable installation first?
No, never tried that.
How do you mean that? Should I try it because it could be a solution?
Or could an old portable installation be the reason for crashes?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
Philbo King

One simple thing to check - always make sure the interface is connected and powered up before launching Reaper.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaraginga View Post
No, never tried that.
How do you mean that? Should I try it because it could be a solution?
Or could an old portable installation be the reason for crashes?
It's just a fault finding exercise. If portable install works you know the issue is in your non portable Reaper settings or install....but you maybe already negated this if the plug removal fixed the issue.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaraginga View Post
I found out that this information is misleading and that in fact it is not the USB interface that is not authorized but the PC.

I changed that and chose "Realtek High Definition Audio" instead (my internal sound card). Strangely (perhaps this is important) it would not keep that setting and often automatically switch back to "Line 6 UX1".
I'm not a Windows user but I like puzzles.

Two things jump out of what you said to chase down.
Sounds like possible mayhem with your Windows license in that 1st part. I don't know how messed up that business is or how much it shuts the machine down. I understand that the business of disabling unlicensed machines is the one thing that Microsoft shines at though.

Or... That message isn't Microsoft related and you have malware installed!
It's usually a really bad idea to install anything with "cleaner" as part of the name. Usually does the opposite.

The 2nd thing is something in your system requesting the audio interface. It seems to be right there to switch it back even when you try to switch it yourself manually. This is probably the main issue. Chase that down.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
ivansc

serr.... CCleaner (from a legitimate DL source) has been around since Adam was a lad & is 100% OK.

I`ve been using it routinely for at least a decade.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #13
Dex

It's a remote possibility, but have you tried plugging your interface into a different usb port? Sometimes usb ports die.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #14
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
It's a remote possibility, but have you tried plugging your interface into a different usb port? Sometimes usb ports die.
Or there's an incompatibility from the interface to the specific USB port as there was in this thread, as an example. Some USB 2 devices won't work properly when plugged into a USB 3 port (not just audio devices).
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
Andaraginga

Thanks for all the input.
The last three days Reaper was working without crashes. I am not yet sure that it is over now as I already had an error-free day before and then the next day it was crashing again.
So I am still searching and thinking.

At the moment I won't exclude other reasons but I think that plugins are the most probable culprit.

This is why (tell me if my reasoning makes sense or not):
* The problem started with one specific project and hasn't appeared on other projects so far
* It seems to stop happening when I load the project without plugins
* It typically always happened when I clicked and stopped the playcursor in a certain part of the song (at the very beginning)

What makes it tricky is that I haven't finally found that one plugin.

I think I went through all of them, deactivating and reactivating them one by one, and still there was not that one moment where I could immediately see the result of one specific plugin.

Perhaps I will have to give it another try.

A few other thoughts about that area where crashes seemed to always happen:

It is at the very beginning of the song. Most tracks are empty at that point and there is not much going on except for two things that are a bit strange, the tempo lane and two automation envelopes.

Since it all started as a test case where I was playing around with different files and settings and copying them back and forth I ended up with different tempo markers and also very strange numbers like a tempo of 108,173 bpm at the very beginning.

Then there are two automation envelopes with which I was bypassing and activating a delay and a chorus plugin. To save space I then made them disappear with the action "Envelope: Toggle show all active envelopes for all tracks". Later, when I clicked that action again to make the envelopes reappear only one of them was still working, the other didn't seem to have any effect anymore.

Just in case, any of that could be important...
Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
Andaraginga

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I'm not a Windows user but I like puzzles.

Two things jump out of what you said to chase down.
Sounds like possible mayhem with your Windows license in that 1st part. I don't know how messed up that business is or how much it shuts the machine down. I understand that the business of disabling unlicensed machines is the one thing that Microsoft shines at though.
I think the original problem with Line6 hardware was the result of a Windows update. I have had several cases where I had to reauthorize plugins because they were bound to the computer ID and that changed in the course of a Windows update.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #17
lolilol1975

FWIW, I've had that problem with audio driver a lot lately. I suspect Windows changed something in their latest updates. Anyway after a couple of reboots after the latest update, things went back to normal.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote