Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-02-2022, 07:39 AM   #121
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

2022-10-02:
  • ffmpeg updated to v. 5.1.1 (from 5.0)
  • folder "C:\AVConvert\USER" now stores personal preferences such as screen video recording path, prefered font for text inserts, preferred frame rate and also the user templates for cropping and video conversion; simply don't delete or overwrite this folder during an AVConvert update to keep your settings; also don't delete or overwrite the LOGOS subfolder during updating to keep your logos and insert files
  • run "show ffmpeg version.bat" in C:\AVConvert\QMODE to reveal current ffmpeg version
  • fixed issue with saving, editing and loading video conversion templates
  • fixed wrong batch file call in English MKV video resizing context menu (would always resize video to 720p regardless the output video resolution set)
  • fixed wrong batch file that specifies AVConvert output video resolution
  • made font size of text insertions adjustable via AVConvert overlay settings sub-menu in folder background context menu
  • switching video output resolution doesn't change JPG image aspect ratio any more

These will be the last release notes posted here (at least for a while. Please visit the project web page to stay up to date on the project status.

Old 01-25-2023, 04:23 AM   #122
McSound

Hi. I recently moved to Windows 11. I installed AVConvert as described in Help.pdf but it doesn't work. Trying any convert option - it just shows ffmpeg(I think) window for a sec and nothing happens. I do something wrong?
PS. I use AVConvert v. 2022-11-27p
Old 01-25-2023, 05:31 AM   #123
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSound View Post
Hi. I recently moved to Windows 11. I installed AVConvert as described in Help.pdf but it doesn't work. Trying any convert option - it just shows ffmpeg(I think) window for a sec and nothing happens. I do something wrong?
PS. I use AVConvert v. 2022-11-27p
Sorry to hear you are having these issues. I have not yet installed Win11 on any of my computers, so I can't test what's going on myself. I'll have to do some research on if handling of context menus has changed. I already found out that Win11 shows a reduced version of the context menu by default. Is this happening on your machine and does it affect the appearence of AVConvert context menus? I found some tutorial videos showing how to revert back to classic context menu appearence by tweaking the registry.

What you described may be caused by some user privilege restriction. Are you logged on as an admin? Maybe it helps if you set ffmpeg.exe to always start with admin privileges by right-clicking the exe file -> Properties -> Compatibility -> start as admin.

Could you check if this happens on other computers as well (Win10 or Win11)? A frieds of mine is actually using AVConvert on a Win11 machine and it seems to work fine. The only difference between you and him is that his Win11 doesn't seem to respect the DOS window formating of my commands so he is seeing much larger DOS windows than he should during the execution of commands. I'm pretty sure that his machine is in a default configuration.

Which AVConvert options specifically gave you the issue?

I hope we'll get this issue sorted out soon!

Old 01-25-2023, 06:14 AM   #124
McSound

First of all - thanks for super fast response!
Just 've checked on another computer with Windows 10 - no problem, all works.

Now back to my Windows 11. I have 17 menus in right-click main menu. I think that's all we got. I've changed setting to always run ffmpeg as admin - no luck. I tried to convert mp4 video to ProRes LT, extract audio. No matter what I try it doesn't work. I think it's something wrong with ffmpeg though. I will try another build of it.

Edit: I think your ffmpeg is special, cause it's much bigger in size than original.

Last edited by McSound; 01-25-2023 at 06:19 AM.
McSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:35 AM   #125
SonicAxiom

Quote:
First of all - thanks for super fast response!
Just 've checked on another computer with Windows 10 - no problem, all works.

Now back to my Windows 11. I have 17 menus in right-click main menu. I think that's all we got. I've changed setting to always run ffmpeg as admin - no luck. I tried to convert mp4 video to ProRes LT, extract audio. No matter what I try it doesn't work. I think it's something wrong with ffmpeg though. I will try another build of it.

Edit: I think your ffmpeg is special, cause it's much bigger in size than original.
Thank you for your feedback! I got ffmpeg from the official gyan.dev codex ffmpeg website (5.1.1. essential release), so it should be ok. Where did you find your version?

The number of context menus depends on what file type you are right-clicking or whether you right-click a folder background/desktop. I can confirm that 17 menus is the correct number of main menu entries when right-clicking MP4 video files.

Old 01-25-2023, 08:18 AM   #126
McSound

Sorry, my fault, the size is the same. I compared to full shared version of ffmpeg. Changing ffmpeg version didn't help, so that's not the point. Just the same - fast splash of empty window and nothing more. Menus are all ok, they change if I right click on different file format.
Also I have installed ffmpeg in another folder. So maybe it is the point. Though you mentioned that AVConvert is hardcoded to "c:\avconvert" folder. I just don't know what to think)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:30 AM   #127
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Sorry, my fault, the size is the same. I compared to full shared version of ffmpeg. Changing ffmpeg version didn't help, so that's not the point. Just the same - fast splash of empty window and nothing more. Menus are all ok, they change if I right click on different file format.
You can get some clue of what's going on by opening and editing the related batch file for the ProResLT conversion in a simple plain text editor and change its EXIT command at the end to PAUSE. Save the file and retrigger the Prores command on a video file. Under normal circumstances, the DOS window should now stay open and reveal what happened if the error is related to DOS or FFmpeg. If the window doesn't keep open, the error is not related to either DOS nor FFmpeg but is rather a Win11 quirk. Please change the edited file back to say EXIT and save it again.

EDIT: Just saw that you added to your latest post. Make sure to have AVConvert.zip extracted to C:\AVConvert (case-sensitive) or it won't ever work at all! For instance, Logos have to be located in "C:\AVConvert\Logos".

Old 01-25-2023, 10:56 AM   #128
McSound

I just changed exit to pause as you said and it succsessfuly converted to prores, though it gave some error in the middle of ffmpeg message:

[mov @ 0000023c1f2eb6c0] You requested a copy of the original timecode track so timecode metadata are now ignored

Last edited by McSound; 01-25-2023 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:21 AM   #129
SonicAxiom

So, you were able to convert your MP4 file to ProResLT without changing anything else than replacing EXIT by PAUSE? Changing the command only prevents the conversion window from closing, nothing else. I'm a little bit confused. Did you intermediately change the path where AVConvert is stored on your computer?

PS: You may shorten the log you pasted in order to keep the thread more readable since I don't think it's actually relevant here.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:33 AM   #130
McSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
So, you were able to convert your MP4 file to ProResLT without changing anything else than replacing EXIT by PAUSE?
Yes! And giving EXIT back instead PAUSE returns the problem back. I've checked it twice. Nonsense?
Old 01-25-2023, 12:02 PM   #131
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Yes! And giving EXIT back instead PAUSE returns the problem back. I've checked it twice. Nonsense?
Interesting. I can't undestand why Win11 would care about whether a batch script closes by EXIT or PAUSE. The EXIT command closes a DOS window, PAUSE just keeps the window open after processing until the user closes it manually. Doesn't affect the conversion process at all, so it doesn't make sense to me at all but if it helps

Can we consider your issue solved? You could use a little app called TurboSR Search & Replace to quickly replace the term exit by pause in all batch files. Here are the settings:

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 01-25-2023 at 12:08 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:37 PM   #132
McSound

Just deleted all my nonsense
Finally I've found it! All I had to do is just add /W to START command (so obviously after exit problems) to wait for its termination. Now bat file looks like:

@echo off
color 0a && mode 123,4 && cd /d "%~dp1" & title <nul && title AVConvert is converting MOV video to ProRes Proxy
start /b /low /w "ffmpeg" "C:\AVConvert\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%~1" -c:v prores -profile:v 0 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -c:a pcm_s16le -map 0 "%~d1\%~p1\%~n1 - ProRes Proxy.mov"
exit

I already did multy renaming. No problem for now.

One thing: could you add menu position for DNxHD, please?
The correct command is:
start /b /low /w "ffmpeg" "C:\AVConvert\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%~1" -c:v dnxhd -vf "scale=1920:1080,format=yuv422p" -b:v 36M -c:a pcm_s16le "%~d1\%~p1\%~n1-DNxHD36.mov"

Great app! Thanks a lot, SonicAxiom! I'll try somehow to donate, though it's not possible from my place)

Btw, adding /w works nice in Windows 10 as well.

Last edited by McSound; 01-26-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:43 PM   #133
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Just deleted all my nonsense
Finally I've found it! All I had to do is just add /W to START command (so obviously after exit problems) to wait for its termination. Now bat file looks like:

@echo off
color 0a && mode 123,4 && cd /d "%~dp1" & title <nul && title AVConvert is converting MOV video to ProRes Proxy
start /b /low /w "ffmpeg" "C:\AVConvert\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%~1" -c:v prores -profile:v 0 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -c:a pcm_s16le -map 0 "%~d1\%~p1\%~n1 - ProRes Proxy.mov"
exit

I already did multy renaming. No problem for now.

One thing: could you add menu position for DNxHD, please?
The correct command is:
start /b /low /w "ffmpeg" "C:\AVConvert\ffmpeg.exe" -i "%~1" -c:v dnxhd -vf "scale=1920:1080,format=yuv422p" -b:v 36M -c:a pcm_s16le "%~d1\%~p1\%~n1-DNxHD36.mov"

Great app! Thanks a lot, SonicAxiom! I'll try somehow to donate, though it's not possible from my place)

Btw, adding /w works nice in Windows 10 as well.
thanks for your kind words and the valuable info you provided! I already added /w switch to all batch files. I'm now looking into adding DNxHD option to the context menu. New AVConvert release coming soon ...

Old 01-26-2023, 04:33 PM   #134
SonicAxiom

new release 2023-01-26p:
  • added /w switch to start command in all batch files to improve Win11 compatibility
  • added option to MKV, MOV and MP4 context menu (in ProRes conversion sub-menu) to convert to DNxHD

Old 01-26-2023, 05:02 PM   #135
McSound

Great! Thanks for DNxHD!
Old 01-26-2023, 05:18 PM   #136
SonicAxiom

you're welcome! Please make sure to follow the steps required to update AVConvert properly (described in the help file) and please report back if anything doesn't work as expected.