Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-26-2023, 09:58 AM   #1
Charlie Bernstein
Human being with feelings

Default Why am I getting lots of Reaper files on my desktop when I record?

. . . and what are they for? Can I delete them? If not, can I give them their own folder?

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-26-2023 at 10:12 AM.
Charlie Bernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:18 AM   #2
karbomusic

Try Save As to the folder you want, and be sure to check the create directory and move files to project directory options.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:45 AM   #3
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Try Save As to the folder you want, and be sure to check the create directory and move files to project directory options.
I know how to put files in folders. (It's done differently on Macs. No create directories or project directory options. I've seen those on PCs.)

I just want to make sure they don't need to stay on the desktop for some reason. And if they do, for how long.

I'm also wondering what the files are for — why they're going to my desktop in the first place. This is just a little two-track song. If it were bigger, the desktop would be covered with the little files. It's already quite a jumble.

And what happens when I want to record a second song? Do I have to keep all these little Reaper fragments forever?

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-26-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:12 AM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I know how to put files in folders. (<snip>

And what happens when I want to record a second song? Do I have to keep all these little Reaper fragments forever?
Karbo told you what to do; save the project to a specific folder, and then everything you record goes into that folder. Best practice is to save to a specific folder the empty project before recording anything. In either case you won't get any (more) files in the default recording place (which you can change, btw, see the User Guide).

As for how long you want to keep your recorded files... only you can decide on that.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:16 AM   #5
serr

Mac user here and I have all those options in the file dialog window.

Something is currently pointed at your desktop. Because there's no default Reaper feature to save there. (The default is to make a new folder in your User/your_account_name/Documents folder if you don't specify.)

Do a 'save as' with any new project before you do anything else!
Then all recorded files will go to that folder by default. There are more options to separate out audio files and peak files into separate subfolders and so forth.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #6
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Karbo told you what to do; save the project to a specific folder, and then everything you record goes into that folder. Best practice is to save to a specific folder the empty project before recording anything. In either case you won't get any (more) files in the default recording place (which you can change, btw, see the User Guide).

As for how long you want to keep your recorded files... only you can decide on that.
Sorry, I might not have asked clearly enough.

The problem: Right now, I have seventeen little files sitting on my desktop.

The main question: Is there anything wrong with dragging it all into a folder? I don't want to confuse Reaper.

The other question: After I have a finished song saved to an audio format, I can get rid of all these little files, right?
Old 01-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #7
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Mac user here and I have all those options in the file dialog window.

Something is currently pointed at your desktop. Because there's no default Reaper feature to save there. (The default is to make a new folder in your User/your_account_name/Documents folder if you don't specify.)

Do a 'save as' with any new project before you do anything else!
Then all recorded files will go to that folder by default. There are more options to separate out audio files and peak files into separate subfolders and so forth.
Aha. Thanks. I can do that.

Sounds like, first, I should trash what I have and start fresh.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:26 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Aha. Thanks. I can do that.

Sounds like, first, I should trash what I have and start fresh.
No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater...

Just manually clean up your files/folders and put them where you intended.

FYI, Reaper will default to looking in the same folder the .rpp project file is in for the associated audio files. Of course it remembers any unique file paths but it defaults to looking in the project folder anyway. That leads to being able to move whole project folders and then Reaper just files all the files unprompted. And that's why the advice to organize by project folder.

For a hard drive with OS installed, you're expected to use your home account folder as the root level and avoid the actual root level of the drive. Reason: "because". I'll make a subfolder under my home folder called "Recordings". Project folders go in there. And of course I'll put that folder at the root level on non OS installed drives.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:34 AM   #9
ggrey

Hi Charlie, you never said what type of files you're finding on your desktop. If they are REPEAKS files, you can delete them. There is also a way to have them put into any folder you designate in the future. Here is a YT video explaining... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxSYdlrVrfw
ggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:08 PM   #10
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater...

Just manually clean up your files/folders and put them where you intended.

FYI, Reaper will default to looking in the same folder the .rpp project file is in for the associated audio files. Of course it remembers any unique file paths but it defaults to looking in the project folder anyway. That leads to being able to move whole project folders and then Reaper just files all the files unprompted. And that's why the advice to organize by project folder.

For a hard drive with OS installed, you're expected to use your home account folder as the root level and avoid the actual root level of the drive. Reason: "because". I'll make a subfolder under my home folder called "Recordings". Project folders go in there. And of course I'll put that folder at the root level on non OS installed drives.
The baby was Rosemary's. Just recorded a few bars of a song to give me something to learn on.

Thanks for the pointers. They help!
Old 01-26-2023, 12:11 PM   #11
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrey View Post
Hi Charlie, you never said what type of files you're finding on your desktop. If they are REPEAKS files, you can delete them. There is also a way to have them put into any folder you designate in the future. Here is a YT video explaining...
I tried uploading a screenshot, but it wouldn't go. The files have names like:

01-vox-230123_1507.wav
01-vox-230123_1501.wav.reapeaks
Jericho Road.rrp
Jericho Toadf.rrp-bak

I'll watch the Youtube. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2023, 01:03 PM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
I know how to put files in folders. (It's done differently on Macs. No create directories or project directory options. I've seen those on PCs.)

I just want to make sure they don't need to stay on the desktop for some reason. And if they do, for how long.

I'm also wondering what the files are for — why they're going to my desktop in the first place. This is just a little two-track song. If it were bigger, the desktop would be covered with the little files. It's already quite a jumble.

You didn't provide all of this information in the first post, what the files are named or any of that; and wouldn't you know it, my crystal ball is in the shop today. Had there been any consumable details, I'd have given direct answers for each of those details.

That said, if those file are project files, the original solution I gave (for every project you create) would have fixed the issue now and in the future as those files would have left the desktop when you followed my lead. This is not a Mac/PC difference.

So if you have multiple questions, ask multiple questions in the opening act; we want to help. But maybe don't wait, then blame those who try to help for not reading your mind. It really makes it easier to help others.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-26-2023 at 01:10 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:29 PM   #13
Gibson_GM

Don't touch anything yet (if you haven't already)

Decide where to put all your recordings in your computer; make a folder in there just for project files so you'll always know where they are. Mine is "Reaper Projects" in my C: drive, so it's extremely easy to find again. Do this however Mac users do it

Open your project in Reaper.
Do: File > Save as > navigate to the folder you just made for your projects

Save the file with a NEW name such as "Jericho Road Project"
Make sure the 'create project folder" and "copy all files" boxes are checked below the save dialog before you hit "OK".

This will save a COPY of the project in your version of "Reaper Projects > Jericho Road 2" or whatever names you chose. All the stuff needed will be put in the folder you just saved project to. Save future projects in there the same way, each in its own new, named folder, you will have a 'root directory' with each project folder AND its required materials in there, each by name. If you imported sounds from somewhere to the project, they'll be copied along with the project when saved, so it's all in one place. Good to make a habit of this so your things will be where you want when you go to work! If you 'get lost', just go to that main folder, and there you are!

NOW delete all the crap on the desktop The old project likely won't work after you've deleted everything - but you just saved a copy so you're ok.
The little files are used by Reaper to 'orient itself', you could say...they are tiny, don't worry about them! They'll be in the project folders, and all you need to do is click the .rpp file to open an existing project...later you can learn about 'cleaning them' - don't worry for now. The .wav files are needed...

HTH!
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #14
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
You didn't provide all of this information in the first post, what the files are named or any of that; and wouldn't you know it, my crystal ball is in the shop today. Had there been any consumable details, I'd have given direct answers for each of those details.

That said, if those file are project files, the original solution I gave (for every project you create) would have fixed the issue now and in the future as those files would have left the desktop when you followed my lead. This is not a Mac/PC difference.

So if you have multiple questions, ask multiple questions in the opening act; we want to help. But maybe don't wait, then blame those who try to help for not reading your mind. It really makes it easier to help others.
Thanks!

Didn't think I sounded like I was blaming anyone for anything. I certainly didn't feel like I was.

The only Mac difference is that you have to dig pretty deeply to find a create directory or project directory. Like most non-tech Mac users, I wouldn't know where to look.

Thought I asked too many questions in the first post. Most forums, only the first question gets answered — if that. I tried to upload a screenshot of the files, but it wouldn't stick.

Anyhow, these answers help a lot.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-26-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:14 PM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
Thanks!

Didn't think I sounded like I was blaming anyone for anything. I certainly didn't feel like I was.

The only Mac difference is that you have to dig pretty deeply to find a create directory or project directory or a C drive. Like most Mac users, I wouldn't know where to look.

Thought I asked too many questions in the first post. Most forums, only the first question gets answered — if that. I tried to upload a screenshot of the files, but it wouldn't stick.

Anyhow, these answers help a lot.
Ah no worries! Hope it gets or is all worked out. Feel free to ask away.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:28 PM   #16
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_GM View Post
Don't touch anything yet (if you haven't already)

Decide where to put all your recordings in your computer; make a folder in there just for project files so you'll always know where they are. Mine is "Reaper Projects" in my C: drive, so it's extremely easy to find again. Do this however Mac users do it

Open your project in Reaper.
Do: File > Save as > navigate to the folder you just made for your projects

Save the file with a NEW name such as "Jericho Road Project"
Make sure the 'create project folder" and "copy all files" boxes are checked below the save dialog before you hit "OK".

This will save a COPY of the project in your version of "Reaper Projects > Jericho Road 2" or whatever names you chose. All the stuff needed will be put in the folder you just saved project to. Save future projects in there the same way, each in its own new, named folder, you will have a 'root directory' with each project folder AND its required materials in there, each by name. If you imported sounds from somewhere to the project, they'll be copied along with the project when saved, so it's all in one place. Good to make a habit of this so your things will be where you want when you go to work! If you 'get lost', just go to that main folder, and there you are!

NOW delete all the crap on the desktop The old project likely won't work after you've deleted everything - but you just saved a copy so you're ok.
The little files are used by Reaper to 'orient itself', you could say...they are tiny, don't worry about them! They'll be in the project folders, and all you need to do is click the .rpp file to open an existing project...later you can learn about 'cleaning them' - don't worry for now. The .wav files are needed...

HTH!
Thanks, Gibson.

I have a folder for Reaper projects. I just didn't know how to make files go into it. These answers are getting me there. (I'll be trying another song Sunday. The acid test.)

I've already dumped Jericho Road without saving it. Don't want it, don't need it. It was just for practice. Next practice project, I'll create a project folder, open Reaper, start by doing a Save As.

I don't use a C drive, but I just opened Save As to see what happens, and you're right, it'll lead me right to the new project folder.

The "copy all files" tip is good. I wouldn't have thought of it.

One last question:

Why did it create so many little files? I can imagine three or four: one for each track plus maybe another one or two for reasons beyond mortal ken. But seventeen? What's going on?
Old 01-26-2023, 02:30 PM   #17
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
Ah no worries! Hope it gets or is all worked out. Feel free to ask away.
Thanks, karbo!
Old 01-26-2023, 03:49 PM   #18
Gibson_GM

Glad you got it sorted! I find that if each project gets its own nice neat folder, they don't get corrupted and you can find them very quickly! (a REAL issue after you get 200 of them put together ha ha)

The others are WAY more knowledgeable about what each of those little files does, but my understanding is the ones marked " .wav" are the 'items' you have in each track...can be several per track. The Reapeaks are made when you fire up the project, think they show the waveforms in the items. My projects, sometimes 40-50 tracks, have MANY 'little files'. They're not bothering anyone in their individual folders They don't take up any 'real' space and aren't much of a worry (ie, don't worry about it!)

I followed a Kenny Gioa tutorial a long time ago and ended up with "Audio" and "Audio backup" folders inside each project folder. So they go in "Audio", and I never see them. All I get in each project folder is those 2 folders, plus the .RPP you click to open the thing, and a backup .RPP. Neat n clean, the Reaper 'pick icon' splash screen logo shows which one to use to open project. You might try to find Kenny's vid about how to organize your projects Well worth checking out!
Gibson_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:56 AM   #19
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_GM View Post
Glad you got it sorted! I find that if each project gets its own nice neat folder, they don't get corrupted and you can find them very quickly! (a REAL issue after you get 200 of them put together ha ha)

The others are WAY more knowledgeable about what each of those little files does, but my understanding is the ones marked " .wav" are the 'items' you have in each track...can be several per track. The Reapeaks are made when you fire up the project, think they show the waveforms in the items. My projects, sometimes 40-50 tracks, have MANY 'little files'. They're not bothering anyone in their individual folders They don't take up any 'real' space and aren't much of a worry (ie, don't worry about it!)

I followed a Kenny Gioa tutorial a long time ago and ended up with "Audio" and "Audio backup" folders inside each project folder. So they go in "Audio", and I never see them. All I get in each project folder is those 2 folders, plus the .RPP you click to open the thing, and a backup .RPP. Neat n clean, the Reaper 'pick icon' splash screen logo shows which one to use to open project. You might try to find Kenny's vid about how to organize your projects Well worth checking out!
Aha! Useful. I'll keep track of that .RPP file.

I have an old Macbook in the closet, so if this laptop starts to get crowded, there's room at the inn.

Thanks gain, Gibson!
Old 01-27-2023, 07:53 AM   #20
serr

Quote:
The only Mac difference is that you have to dig pretty deeply to find a create directory or project directory. Like most non-tech Mac users, I wouldn't know where to look.
I've used Mac OS's for the last 25 years and never experienced anything buried or misleading like that. The file system is pretty matter of fact and the Finder lets you browse it. Something very unusual is going on if things are appearing hidden and dialog window options are missing.

Some "parental controls" in System Preferences somewhere set to restricted or something like that going on? I'm not sure what all can be locked out like that. Haven't played with all the OS accessibility features but maybe something like that working against you?
Old 01-27-2023, 08:45 AM   #21
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
I've used Mac OS's for the last 25 years and never experienced anything buried or misleading like that. The file system is pretty matter of fact and the Finder lets you browse it. Something very unusual is going on if things are appearing hidden and dialog window options are missing.

Some "parental controls" in System Preferences somewhere set to restricted or something like that going on? I'm not sure what all can be locked out like that. Haven't played with all the OS accessibility features but maybe something like that working against you?
Good thoughts, but not to worry. There's nothing buried, locked, or restricted working against me.

I've used Macs at work and at home since the nineties for writing, spreadsheets, and graphic design and have never had to use "create directory" or "project directory options." And folks above, especially Gibson, explained how to do it without looking for them. Pretty straightforward, right? It was the Save-As pre-nup step that had me flummoxed.

But if that's how you do it, nothing wrong with that! That's one of the things I like about Macs: There are always several ways to do things. And you're right: Any route you choose is very matter-of-fact.

Sounds like I was wrong about having to dig deeply to go that route. Glad you said that.

Thanks!

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 01-27-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:54 AM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:

I've used Macs at work and at home since the nineties and have never had to use "create directory" or "project directory options." And as Gibson showed us, you don't need to to store those files.
I wonder if there is a mild amount of confusion here as these are in Reaper's save dialog, nothing to do with Mac or Mac preferences.

When you choose Save-As (see below), what it does is save the project, create a directory, then moves the files to that directory for you. Normally one would do this when they first create the project - again, not a Mac thing but Reaper thing:

That said, seems like I remember some of the files being peak files (random names) which are files that store the visual representation of the audio waveform. You can fix that (if you haven't already), by setting a global path for peak files instead of plopping them into every project folder...

ALSO: Anything ending with .wav, .aiff etc. are the actual recorded files. You certainly don't want to lose those! But if you follow my instructions, you won't.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by karbomusic; 01-27-2023 at 09:01 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:01 AM   #23
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
I wonder if there is a mild amount of confusion here as these are in Reaper's save dialog, nothing to do with Mac or Mac preferences.

When you choose Save-As (see below), what it does is save the project, create a directory, then moves the files to that directory for you. Normally one would do this when they first create the project - again, not a Mac thing but Reaper thing:

That said, seems like I remember some of the files being peak files which are files that store the visual representation of the audio waveform. You can fix that (if you haven't already), by setting a global path for peak files instead of plopping them into every project folder...

Hope this helps.
It does, indeed. Thanks! I just moved your three screen shots onto my desktop.

The big hurdle for me was that I didn't know to create a project folder before opening Reaper and use Save As before starting to record. Now I do. All part of the pre-nups.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:02 AM   #24
karbomusic

Quote:
It does, indeed. Thanks!

The big hurdle for me was that I didn't know to create a project folder before opening Reaper and use Save As before starting to record. Now I do. All part of the pre-nups.
All good, just the finer point you don't have to create that project folder outside of Reaper, the steps I gave you allows reaper to create the directory for you. You just need to browse to where you want that folder to be created from that same dialog.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #25
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
All good, just the finer point you don't have to create that project folder outside of Reaper, the steps I gave you allows reaper to create the directory for you. You just need to browse to where you want that folder to be created from that same dialog.
A shortcut. Cool!
Old 01-27-2023, 09:27 AM   #26
redddog

Kenny G does an amazing video on the Reaper website about getting started (among many, many more). He covers all this stuff very thoroughly. Everyone should watch those to get started.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:43 AM   #27
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Kenny G does an amazing video on the Reaper website about getting started (among many, many more). He covers all this stuff very thoroughly. Everyone should watch those to get started.
I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2023, 10:45 AM   #28
serr

Quote:
Good thoughts, but not to worry. There's nothing buried, locked, or restricted working against me.

I've used Macs at work and at home since the nineties for writing, spreadsheets, and graphic design and have never had to use "create directory" or "project directory options." And folks above, especially Gibson, explained how to do it without looking for them. Pretty straightforward, right? It was the Save-As pre-nup step that had me flummoxed.

But if that's how you do it, nothing wrong with that! That's one of the things I like about Macs: There are always several ways to do things. And you're right: Any route you choose is very matter-of-fact.

Sounds like I was wrong about having to dig deeply to go that route. Glad you said that.

Thanks!
There is admittedly a very DIY way about Reaper. You are expected to figure out the 'save as' first order of operations thing. You are expected to go looking for the automated backup options and enable them to your taste as well.

And I think it's not wrong to be surprised!

Most apps nowadays put a proxy copy in a cache folder buried a few folders deep in addition to saving temp copies along the way and auto-saving to the document file if you quit. You have to go out of your way to lose something.

Reaper stability and flexibility makes that a moot point for me but it's not nothing.

I do versioned saves often and keep auto backups pointed to an extra folder on a backup drive and saving a backup every 3 minutes. Learned to keep backups in the floppy disk days in the 1980s.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:31 AM   #29
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:
There is admittedly a very DIY way about Reaper. You are expected to figure out the 'save as' first order of operations thing. You are expected to go looking for the automated backup options and enable them to your taste as well.

Most apps nowadays put a proxy copy in a cache folder buried a few folders deep in addition to saving temp copies along the way and auto-saving to the document file if you quit. You have to go out of your way to lose something.

Reaper stability and flexibility makes that a moot point for me but it's not nothing.

I do versioned saves often and keep auto backups pointed to an extra folder on a backup drive and saving a backup every 3 minutes. Learned to keep backups in the floppy disk days in the 1980s.
Floppies! SyQuests! Zip drives! Oh, the memories!
Old 01-27-2023, 01:03 PM   #30
Charlie Bernstein

Quote:

PS -

Did you ever try a Peachpit Visual Quickstart Guide?

Each one is a well-organized recipe book — truly step-by-step instructions for hundreds of operations, with lots of screenshots to show you what they mean. They're by far the most helpful computer how-tos I've found. I've used 'em for Photoshop, Quark, Pagemaker, InDesign, and Illustrator.

They don't make one for Reaper. Too bad. They do for GarageBand and Pro Tools.