Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default tinkering with new Maschine in Reaper workflow... advice?

Hi all

I'm working on a template whereby Maschine lives on one Reaper track and sends out 16 stereo channels to separate tracks for audio, and 16 separate MIDI recording channels to capture the MIDI from 16 Groups and/or Sounds.

This means I can hit record in Reaper, tap the pads on Maschine, and capture the MIDI which is sent out to the corresponding MIDI channels in Reaper. I can also trigger the Maschine sounds using an external MIDI keyboard sending MIDI into the Maschine track if I prefer - and again the MIDI will be recorded out to the corresponding MIDI track in Reaper. All good so far, with the recording.

My current bottleneck is that I can't then send the MIDI directly back from the MIDI recording tracks into the Maschine track, I'm assuming because of some kind of feedback prevention. Each MIDI recording track has a receive from, and a send to, the main Maschine track, both using the same MIDI channel. If I delete the receive, the MIDI is suddenly able to be sent back. So currently, to send the MIDI back in on playback, I have to drag the clip down onto a separate MIDI track to send it back from there, to avoid the feedback prohibition.

Is there a way to disable this feedback setting such that it won't cause problems? I'd like to to capture and then play back MIDI from the same MIDI track for each MIDI channel if possible.

I also wondered if one solution might be to use some kind of virtual MIDI cable type thing - would that help? Not really used those before.

Hope I've explained that clearly!

Any advice welcome.

Mud
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote