Old 12-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
daniellumertz
Human being with feelings

Default Video Editor As Flexible as Reaper

Hellooo people, I don't know much about Video Editor I am using premier as it runs good in my machine that still not have an GPU ( will come in 2021 ). The thing I find it a little hard, not much flexible in ways to personalize. ( I CANT CHANGE THE TRACKS ORDER WTF haha)

Do you know one as flexible/same concept as reaper?

Thanks
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
martifingers

Amongst several I have used Sony (Vegas) Studio Platinum - it's now up to version 17 I think. In some ways it feels a lot like Reaper (auto cross fades when overlapping tracks, adjust fading of audio when mouse over start of item, markers etc. Even accepts VSTs!)) But it also does things in an odd way to other editors and if I hadn't used it for a while I found myself having to get into the Vegas way of doing things. (Some might say that quirkiness is a Reaper thing too I suppose!)

My old version could be very picky about what formats it would accept and I eventually gave up on it and bought into Hitfilm -the basic Express version is free and really good. So I would say try it (when you get a GPU - I think min spec is 2Gb card?) but maybe also check if there is a free trial version of Vegas.

My general feeling with editing software is you just need to persevere - most work fine for most purposes but like DAWs you eventually find the one that feels right.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
daniellumertz

I will give a try on vegas thanks!! As far as I know justin frankel used vegas before creating reaper hehehe
Old 12-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
nofish

Why not give Reaper itself a try as video editor?
Or have you already and found it lacking?
For my (though admittedly rather basic) video editing requirements Reaper is all I need.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
vChip

Have you checked out DaVinci Resolve?
vChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:36 AM   #6
daverich

vegas here,- it's not perfect but it works well.

If you're looking for a freebie - try https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/

I had a play with it a while back on linux and windows, seemed promising.
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:29 AM   #7
daniellumertz

hi no fish! For small things I use REAPER video part, but sometimes I need things like masking some object and other effects and it can then lacks :/ but if that part of reaper grows It would be immensely helpful to me .

about resolve yes, I checked and liked, but it is more GPU based, and I don't have an GPU yet waiting the release of 3060. Here even for 1080p it kinda lags. I will try it latter when I have an gpu
Old 12-04-2020, 04:45 AM   #8
Allybye

I came across Lightworks (free version) recently and like it a lot. Quite easy to use and a step up from the usual free/budget basic ones.

Several tuition videos and a good forum too.

Have a look at https://www.lwks.com/

I too do not have a separate gpu board but Lightworks coped fine for me plus I have learned some about which codecs to use from @fakemaxwell within and links in the thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=245778 that might be worth a read.

Last edited by Allybye; 12-05-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: corrected predictive text!!!
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:52 AM   #9
edkilp

Do most of the free video editors leave a giant watermark on your video? I tried a bunch several months ago that all claimed to be free, but in some cases, a third of the screen was covered by a massive logo. Don't remember which specific ones, but there was definitely more than one.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:58 AM   #10
martifingers

Lightworks' output is watermark free but its output resolution is limited to less than 1080 IIRC?

Hitfilm Express is also free of watermarks but does happily output full HD even in the free version.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #11
ninjedi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
Hellooo people, I don't know much about Video Editor I am using premier as it runs good in my machine that still not have an GPU ( will come in 2021 ). The thing I find it a little hard, not much flexible in ways to personalize. ( I CANT CHANGE THE TRACKS ORDER WTF haha)

Do you know one as flexible/same concept as reaper?

Thanks

Hello- try Blender's vse... it's quite powerful.has modifiers,key frame and audio automations and abilities to customize program hotkeys and interfacing in depth.
Track orders can be as you choose..free to use,lots of formats and 0 watermarks as far am aware.
Works fine if you can get passed the learning curve.
ninjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
Allybye

@martifingers, yes I forgot to add compatibility.
The free version essentially imports all the same formats as the pro version but limits output to 720p and Lightworks Archive.

No watermarking and allows direct upload to YouTube.
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #13
DogBBQ

Default HitFilm Express "Free"

https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express
DogBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #14
Sarasota_FOH

If you're looking for "free" video editor I would say Davinci Resolve... However, I would go to Black Magic Design's support page and download the latest version of "15" from there because v16 had a few issues, and v17 is a turd right now (17 is still in Beta and is a hot mess).

Note: Make sure to download the free version (Studio is the paid version).

If you're looking for paid software, I use Edius 9 Pro (really fast, smooth, and super stable)... Butttt... It's expensive.

My work flow is to Edit in Edius 9 Pro, then CC & Color Grade in Davinci Resolve.
Sarasota_FOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #15
jnorman34

I have been using powerdirector for several years and recommend it highly. Full of features and includes smart rendering. If you need free, go with da Vinci resolve.
jnorman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:49 AM   #16
zookthespook

vegas is definitely closest to reaper.
Beat cuts are far more intuitive on it.
I find it easier to just do beat cuts on Reaper now especially to time compress stuff to beats to make mashups and then processing them audio wise is a dream ,then i take it to premier and do further compositing and effects or text overlays on it. Though i have a very powerful machine, reaper does not playback the stream properly. I just discovered that Reaper has some CPU experimental modes, if they allow seamless playback then i would not feel the need of having vegas as a backup. I have been upgrading vegas since version8 , the problem with Magix is that they keep updating it with small features and expect you to keep upgrading , since version 15 i stopped using it and am happier with the Reaper+Premier combo. The biggest downside of vegas is that GPU acceleration is very iffy. It causes a lot of unpredictable crashes especially when using heaving text plugins or composite modes. Otherwise ,Vegas is a big win in terms of masking i feel. It is simple and intuitive. Here is an example of a video i edited on vegas,
It was shot on 12 FPS to give the chaplineseque effect and it was pretty easy to work on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #17
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Lightworks' output is watermark free but its output resolution is limited to less than 1080 IIRC?

Hitfilm Express is also free of watermarks but does happily output full HD even in the free version.
Thanks for the info
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #18
fakemaxwell

Yeah I'm going to second Davinci Resolve. I'm not a picture editor, but I've only ever heard professional editors using Avid, Premiere, or Resolve, and since Resolve is free you might as well use the real thing.
fakemaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:57 PM   #19
martmix

VEgas movie-studio here, really happy with it

Last edited by martmix; 12-06-2020 at 11:08 PM.
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote